Opel GT Forum banner

custom sound system and speaker locations

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Wolfman3002 
#1 ·
neither of my GTs have a usable sound system as far as i can tell, one is completely missing it and the other's doesn't seem to work, so i'm looking into custom building my own system, so i would like to know from experience where the best speaker placements are in a GT. i've installed speakers in cars before and i'm great at fabricating pretty much anything i need from wood, metal or fiberglass so no matter how crazy your ideas are, i can probably make it happen :D its not all that important to me to maintain the stock look since once its done i doubt it will be stock

i read the older thread about the sony DSO and it sounds like thats what i'll need unless there is somewhere to put the speakers that makes the sound not so low. but i'm assuming they were from the states, so if anyone knows if i can get the DSO in canada, and where, that would be good too

i probably won't be starting to put in the sound system until spring because the car is still in the body work stage and the back end is about to be replaced, but i thought i'd just get a good idea of what i'm looking for before the last minute, maybe even get it ahead of time ;)

thanks all

#3 ·
6x9's fit real well under the pop out windows. you can also mount amps under the spare tire tray. replace the 35" x 9" wood with plexi and put some lighted amps in there and it looks cool. tweeters fit well on the ends of the dash too, and they give good stereo imaging too.

#5 ·
if your dashboard is not already cut for a sterio, do not cut it. theres alot of other members here that need uncut dashes and cannot find them, and i'm sure they'd be happy to trade with you for one thats already cut, for your uncut one. i also make little boxes for the deck so you can mount them under your dash. its alot easier to get to, you dont have to cut the dash nor pull it out, and it does look pretty cool.

#6 ·
i'm not sure what you mean by cut for a stereo, so how can i check, as far as i can tell both my dashes are the same, but neither have a radio in them, both have one speaker on that panel in the back below the rear window

#7 ·
glove box mount

I mounted a sony head unit in my glove box (so as not to cut up the dash, i like havin' the orig. radio in there) so that it's facing up and at nighttime u can read the display (backwards) by the reflection on the windshield. I've thought about putting in one of those fancy touchscreen deals with a big display that slides out and tilts/rotates so you could angle it towards you. I'm 6'3" so it's not much of a reach to adjust from where i sit. Head unit fits in the glovebox/pocket real nice. You could fab a black plastic retractable cover for security so nobody sees it. I just take the face off. Nobody thinks to look there for a stereo. Got Separates mounted in the ventholes at the feet 4"mid,1"tweet. Also 5 1/4 polk audio coaxials on the back panel below spare tire, 10" sub next to spare.

#11 ·
door speakers

Hi,

I know that the door is not the most ideal place for speakers, but not bad, and convenient if you don't want to hack up your dash. I wanted to keep my floor vents, so I put these shallow-mount 6.5 inch blaupunkt speakers in my doors, they fit very well, don't interfere with the glass. I don't recall the model number, but I could look it up if anyone is interested.

cheers,

jtb

Attachments

#12 ·
Has anyone tried this "Deluxe Overhead Speakers" unit from J.C.Whitney? It looks like a possible solution to the classic question, "Where the hell do I put my speakers in a GT?"

Mine are currently mounted in the panel below the spare tire shelf. Due to the load exhaust, wind noise, road noise, and any stowed luggage blocking the speakers, the only time I can hear my stereo is when its parked in the garage.

I'm going to mount the pictured unit to see if,
1. it works,
2. it fits.

Attachments

#13 ·
I did 4 inch in the kick panels without taking the vents out & 6 by 9s below the tire are .Stereo is mounted on the back right on the back seat sort of area.Used a underdash kit upside down.It's black plastic that matches the dash & console area perfectly.Used a remote control unit to work the stereo.Point at unit or bounce wave off the speedo.Also didn't need a amplifier.One in the unit was more than enough. Lots of bass. no need for a sub. but I'm over 40!.Good luck.

#15 ·
As promised, here's the J C Whitney overhead speaker system in my 75 Sportwagon. It has a woofer, midrange, and a tweeter on each side. Each side has it's own speaker wire. And believe it or night, it actually sounds great. It won't win any stereo compitions, but, for everyday listening, it's great!

Attachments

#16 ·
Hey Gene, that looks just great. I need to know if it will fit the small confines of a GT. I got the radio installed, but didn't plan beforehand on where to put the speakers, so I don't have any installed. I can't put them behind the seat under the tire shelf, because of the AC. But it looks as though they will go over the quarter windows. How are they installed?

#17 ·
Ron;
They hook behind the trim on the windows. The trim that covers the edge of the headliner around the windows. I don't know if you can make one of these fit, but, since you used basically all of the tire area, try this idea from Wayne Torman. He did it with sub-woofers, but, the idea can be applied to other speakers.
GT woofer install pg1 - Opel Photo Gallery

#18 ·
That won't work Gene, the evaporator and fans are under the shelf directly behind the seats and raises the shelf about 6 insches already and covers the vertical panel below the tire shelf. I guess I'll go with my original plan and put speakers below the quarter windows, once I find out where the holes are under the vinyl. Another project to get done, one of these days.

#20 ·
Ron,
I've ordered the overhead unit yesterday. If you're not in a hurry, I can let you know if it fits, and how it works after it gets here (end of next week).

However, it's currently on sale for $59.99 (non-sale price is $84.99) and I do not know how long the sale lasts.

Yes, it's probably inadequate for the young guys. But for me, I just want to hear some sound over the wind noise. Plus, I'm hoping it will help hold my headliner up as the bows are currently bowing down.

It looks like the tabs on each end slip down between the door trim and the roof sheet metal. Also, it looks like there's a small space one can anchor the unit using several very short sheet metal screws.

#23 ·
Ron,
I've ordered the overhead unit yesterday. If you're not in a hurry, I can let you know if it fits, and how it works after it gets here (end of next week).

However, it's currently on sale for $59.99 (non-sale price is $84.99) and I do not know how long the sale lasts.

It looks like the tabs on each end slip down between the door trim and the roof sheet metal. Also, it looks like there's a small space one can anchor the unit using several very short sheet metal screws.
The speakers arrived today. It's a no-go. The unit is too long for the GT even though it's advertised to fit all cars up to 52" wide.

#22 ·
Hey guys, thanx. Gene I would sure like to see pics, with a measuring device to locate the position of the holes. WC GT, I can wait to see if that unit will work in a GT. The non-sale price is pretty close to what I paid for a pair of speaker for the monza, so if there is a unit that will work in a GT, without cutting more holes, I'll pay the price, sure don't want to cut the new upholstery if I don't have to.

#26 ·
Still a good idea

Even though the JC Whitney unit didn't fit, I still think the idea of an overhead speaker system is great, provided small enough speakers are used so as not to interfere too much w/ the site lines out the back and quarter windows. Although I'm not a professional stereo guy, I think overhead speakers would sound great, w/o the muffling effect of the seats from rear tray mounted speakers, or from the feet on kick panel mounted speakers. I like bass sound and all (although not to the level of the younger folks), but it's nice to also hear the high notes from some good jazz or rock music. Are there any stereo experts out there who could comment on the best speaker placement, from a sound quality standpoint only, in the GT?
Randy

Reactions: lovinight
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.