Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 gas tanks im wondering if anyone has cut one in half sandblasted inside and out then welded one back up?

·
Vendor
3,053 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work. Many people have had good results with the commercial cleaners/sealers. As long as your tank isn't rusted through or too thin to repair, try one of those first. I used the POR-15 kit and had good results in another old car. By the way, OpelGTSource will soon be stocking replacement GT fuel tanks, but I'm not sure what the timeline is there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a lot of work. Many people have had good results with the commercial cleaners/sealers. As long as your tank isn't rusted through or too thin to repair, try one of those first. I used the POR-15 kit and had good results in another old car. By the way, OpelGTSource will soon be stocking replacement GT fuel tanks, but I'm not sure what the timeline is there.
I know one already has had a sealer put in it but problem is its flaking off inside

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm sure it's plausible, mine was cut open by P.O.'s before I got it and welded back together.
May need to be careful with how rough you are with the sandblaster. But sure would make it ton easier to get the sock out if it's still in there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I think most any coating will fail if the tank isn’t really, really clean with no residual petroleum residue. It would be like using epoxy on an oily surface. I sent my tank to gas-tank.com. They split it open, removed the sock, sand blasted it, welded it back together and coated it with Renu. It looks great but hasn’t gone back in the car yet. I think they have a lifetime warranty. Around $300 IIRC. If I had waited for the new tanks, and the price was reasonable, I’d do that.

Reactions: aserpa

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think most any coating will fail if the tank isn’t really, really clean with no residual petroleum residue. It would be like using epoxy on an oily surface. I sent my tank to gas-tank.com. They split it open, removed the sock, sand blasted it, welded it back together and coated it with Renu. It looks great but hasn’t gone back in the car yet. I think they have a lifetime warranty. Around $300 IIRC. If I had waited for the new tanks, and the price was reasonable, I’d do that.
Very reasonable idea!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just posted much the same on 2opelgtinidaho's other gas tank post. I also went with Renu. Pleased with the results if not the cost. $400 here in northern CA about a year ago. Tank looks amazing but for a similar price I'd have replaced it with a new one.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,558 Posts
This what a really bad one looks like inside:

Brown Wood Gas Metal Auto part
Rectangle Motor vehicle Amber Wood Bumper
Blue Wood Mesh Gas Composite material

This is what my tank looked like AFTER I had it cleaned and coated by a radiator shop. Clearly, this tank was junk and I shouldn't have tried to have it coated.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The radiator shop did not cut mine in half, but they did cut a large inspection hole in it, in order to properly inspect it and clean it out. When I received my car, it had been sitting for about 15-20 years with the tank about 30% full, and over the time the gasoline distilled down to a goo that had the consistency of gear oil

Attachments

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
85 Posts
I paid about $400 to get mine done by Tank Renu also, and they asked to cut a small hole behind the baffle so they could sand blast it. Mine looked very pristine inside. The rubber hoses were rotted off and allowed everything to drain out.

·
Opeler
13 Posts
So I have 2 gas tanks im wondering if anyone has cut one in half sandblasted inside and out then welded one back up?
I have done this with a couple of tanks, but not the Opel GT tank. However, the way I did it was to cut a hole in the top of the tank large enough to sandblast the inside of it. Try to use a narrow blade so it is not as difficult to weld it back in. I sandblasted both tanks around the path I was going to cut. On one of them, when I welded it back in, I backed the weld with a metal strip that covered the saw kerf to keep from blowing through when welding. Depending on how well you weld, you may not want to do this ( I am not a good welder). Because it is extremely difficult to lay down a pin hole free weld, I then sandblasted the weld again, and then used a torch to run solder over the weld. Both of these tanks seem to work fine With no leaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used the POR-15 kit on a VW Bus many years ago. It was pretty easy to use and seemed to hold up well for the 10 years or so until it was sold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts