Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to cut the radio opening to accept a new system? drill pilot holes and hacksaw or is there a better, smoother way?

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
I like to trace the exact template directly onto the plastic with a mechanical pencil. Then use a dremel cutting wheel to cut a hole within this outline (about 1/8"-1/16" away from the outside lines). Finally, clean up with a fine flat file until you reach your markings. With this method, you can make the hole so clean you might not have to use the radio shroud plate.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
rsefczek said:
what is the best way to cut the radio opening to accept a new system? drill pilot holes and hacksaw or is there a better, smoother way?
Yep - Don't do it to a good dash! Find one that has already been hacked.
PLEASE!

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I agree with GT Jim.

If the radio holes haven't been cut, don't do it. There are pleanty of people here who could sell you a dash which has been cut. You can also keep the stock radio in and install a radio with a remote. You keep the original look, but upgrade into the 21st century. Just my 0.02

Jeff

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
PROPEL said:
I like to trace the exact template directly onto the plastic with a mechanical pencil. Then use a dremel cutting wheel to cut a hole within this outline (about 1/8"-1/16" away from the outside lines). Finally, clean up with a fine flat file until you reach your markings. With this method, you can make the hole so clean you might not have to use the radio shroud plate.
I did mine the same way as above, but the dash had been cut into before. If it is a "Good dash", I agree with GT Jim and jlthunder. JVC makes 6 and 12 CD disc changers that can mount almost anywhere with a small remote. Jarrell

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Definatley use a dremel. Total control. I have 2 other dash plates so if you screw one up I have more.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Its a sin to cut a good dash, find one that is allready cut, or install the system in the back just under the compartment that holds the spare tire, if its a GT.

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, i'll demonstrate my complete ignorance. why is it a sin to cut the dash. this car is so far from stock that can't be the reason. installing a player remotely only works if you can reach it to change the cd's or have really long arms...). what's the argument for keeping it pristine?

·
328 Posts
dash

It's not. There are plenty of dashes out there that are still uncut so if you ever wanted one it would be available. BUT, if the dash is uncracked and you cut into it it would ruin a dash for someone who is restoring back to stock.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
there are very few of the dashes without the cut out and as the last one was made it 1973 and there are few out there now that have not cracked or split that if some one has a good orig with no hole folks try to get them to keep it that way , im surprised you do not have a que at the front door of folks with ones that are done wanting to swop you :D if i may be so bold try asking if anyone wants to swop it and see the response , if its all quiet then cut away if you have a load of folks at the door then you would make some one very happy :p
or as jersey opel says theres lots out there so why worry :confused:

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have 4 GT guage clusters. 3 of the 4 have been cut for sterios, and the 4th one thast uncut, its broke in half between the speedo and tach. just for a corrolation. only 2 out of my 8 GTs have had uncut dashes. ironically, both were from chicago, had under 70,000 origional miles when i bought them, and were both 2 owner cars before my purchase of them. i kept one, ace got one (he wrecked it) but but of us decided to relocate sterios. i put mine under the dash, he put his in the spare tire trey, which i had previousely done but its hard to reach.

·
Opeler
3,100 Posts
Just Can't Cut It ...

Still haven't the HEART to cut one of my extra GT dash panels, even though, original AM Radio only receives two stations. Usually content to lower window (no A/C) and listen to the 1900 cc. :p

Have extra AM radio that I am thinking of installing, hoping it will work better. New antenna and cleaned grounds didn't help reception of that AM Dino. :(

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Out of 14 or so GTs I've seen 3 uncut dashes. It's like finding one with the shear bolts intact. After 30 plus years the chances get slimmer. I'd have to say Liz has a nice setup in the 73. Remote control CD in the back but an uncut working AM in the dash. I imagine if you ask she would post a pic.
I forget who did it but it works good and no dash mods needed. Dean did a neat trick in the back too. Search engine works well if given a chance.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
my GTs AM radio worked pretty well it seems. got 2 country stations, an opera station, a few talk shows and 1 disney story teling channell. the disney one is the one that really got me

its funny when driving and listening to the AM radio. the sterio kinda "whistles" in tune with engine RPM. the only way to describe it is kinda like the exhaust whistlers people used to put on the VWs.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Since this discussion has turned from a how-to to a why-not, I'll throw in my 1 cent (inflation)... I agree it's better not to cut into a pristine dash and save/swap it for someone who wants to keep their car stock. On the car I'm building now, I enlarged the hole of a previously hacked dash and will be turning that space into a useable storage bin (since I'm going with a remote mp3 player and won't have any radio at all).

Anyway for GTs, the rarest dashpanel is the '69 square directional one WITHOUT the light over the rocker switches. PLEASE keep these original as they are near impossible to find in good shape. Most have either already been cut for new stereos, or have cracked due to the early pushstud mounting method. And if anyone wants to trade a pristine one for a previously cut one, just PM me. :)

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think i understand a bit better now. i was looking at the dash again to check the condition. i has 4 radio holes: one rectangular one in the center, 2 for the usual knobs, and one smaller one above one of the holes for the knobs. is this correct or has someone already "modified" the dash. if this is original, i would be happy to trade for a "cut" one. there is no radio, the clock is kaput, but there are no cracks or breaks and the mounting pieces are all there (non-glued as best as i can tell).

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
AM radio RFI condensor/capacitor

greensmurf20 said:
my GTs AM radio worked pretty well it seems. got 2 country stations, an opera station, a few talk shows and 1 disney story teling channell. the disney one is the one that really got me

its funny when driving and listening to the AM radio. the stereo kinda "whistles" in tune with engine RPM. the only way to describe it is kinda like the exhaust whistlers people used to put on the VWs.
Common problem with AM radios of that era. Factory manuals specifically state to add RFI suppression capacitors to the vehicle when installing the radio. RFI capacitor installation at the generator/alternator is noted only in the FSM radio section, but not on the single sheet radio/antenna installation instructions sent with "radio kits". When installed at the dealer (many were, especially early on), this was typically ignored because required capacitors were NOT INCLUDED as part of the radio installation "kit".

Attachments

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
Lindsay said:
Still haven't the HEART to cut one of my extra GT dash panels, even though, original AM Radio only receives two stations. Usually content to lower window (no A/C) and listen to the 1900 cc. :p
Thumbs Up ! :cool:

·
Registered
616 Posts
PROPEL said:
Anyway for GTs, the rarest dashpanel is the '69 square directional one WITHOUT the light over the rocker switches. PLEASE keep these original as they are near impossible to find in good shape. Most have either already been cut for new stereos, or have cracked due to the early pushstud mounting method. And if anyone wants to trade a pristine one for a previously cut one, just PM me. :)
so how much are these actually worth? i have an uncracked one with all 5 square lights and it seems to be uncut, i'll have to check if it has the light over the rocker switches or not though, i can't remember...

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Good One!

rsefczek said:
i think i understand a bit better now. i was looking at the dash again to check the condition. i has 4 radio holes: one rectangular one in the center, 2 for the usual knobs, and one smaller one above one of the holes for the knobs. is this correct or has someone already "modified" the dash. if this is original, i would be happy to trade for a "cut" one. there is no radio, the clock is kaput, but there are no cracks or breaks and the mounting pieces are all there (non-glued as best as i can tell).
That sounds like a good uncut dash. I paid LOTS to import an uncut dash for my GT and ended up having to try three times to get an unmolested one.
Thanks for seeing the point of keeping one of the few intact ones - intact!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts