Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, how are things going? I need some help from anyone out there who might be able to give it. I just moved up to the Dallas area and I have an Opel that I have been moving around with for about a year. I burned the engine last October, and haven't been able to drive it since, which explains why I haven't been very active lately. Does anyone know of a good shop around here that will be able to work on my car, now that I have finally saved enough money to fix it? I just want to do a pretty basic rebuild, probably bore it to a 2.0 and maybe add a cam - like I said, pretty basic. Is this something I can/should trust to just any local shop? I have had bad luck in the past and I want this to be done right this time.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Kim Barr Racing in Garland, TX

Intend to do the removal, disassembly, build-up and re-install yourself? I had all the machine work on my 2.15 done by Kim Barr Racing (primarily a Chevy shop) in Garland. They do EXCELLENT work. I can highly recommend them and am very pleased with the results on my engine. In my case, I researched all the parts to be used, exactly what machining I wanted done, etc., but then, mine was a bit more than just a "refresh" of a basic engine too.

You can save a lot of money if you do all the basic stuff yourself and just have them do the necessary machining and refitting required. Up to you . . .

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
2nd that nomination

Otto is correct, I had them do my flywheel for the S-10 conversion they did an excellant job. I have also used a little machine shop not far from my house for some big valve head work in Ector. He is lower in price and does a good job for the money so overhead is lower as he is not a big name race shop. Just like Otto said you can do all the tear down and rebuild yourself, if you need any special tools let Otto or myself know and we should be able to help, I know I have just about any thing you will need or could think of, Otto is a little closer to you( I volunteered Otto but I don't think he will mind).
Rodney
Opel Club of Texas (prez)

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Killer Texas GT said:
Otto is correct, I had them do my flywheel for the S-10 conversion they did an excellant job. I have also used a little machine shop not far from my house for some big valve head work in Ector. He is lower in price and does a good job for the money so overhead is lower as he is not a big name race shop. Just like Otto said you can do all the tear down and rebuild yourself, if you need any special tools let Otto or myself know and we should be able to help, I know I have just about any thing you will need or could think of, Otto is a little closer to you( I volunteered Otto but I don't think he will mind).
Rodney
Opel Club of Texas (prez)
Was thinking about the same thing in reverse myself . . . volunteering you, so "no problem". :D

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm

Well, I have considered doing the removal and installation myself; however, I live in an apartment and don't know that the garage I have is large enough for this kind of operation. I realize Opels are tiny cars, but I'm just not sure. If you had to do this in a confined space, how would you suggest removing the engine - top or bottom?

·
583 Posts
Engine Removal

I'd check and make sure that removing the engine from that car doesn't get you removed from your apartment. Some complexes are sensitive about stuff like that. Check your lease agreement first before you immobilize that car. If it's a GT, take it out the top if you're only removing the engine. If it's a Manta you can get the engine and transmission out the top, big hassle to go out the bottom.

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

Well, in about two hours I should be done getting the engine out of the Opel, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I am planning on tearing down the engine and getting it ready for the machine shop myself, but I don't exactly have a ton of experience in that field. Does anybody around the Dallas area have some space for me to do a teardown and buildup of an engine? What about tools? I know I will need some special things, but I'm not sure what. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Room and tools . . .

zephead69 said:
Well, in about two hours I should be done getting the engine out of the Opel, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I am planning on tearing down the engine and getting it ready for the machine shop myself, but I don't exactly have a ton of experience in that field. Does anybody around the Dallas area have some space for me to do a teardown and buildup of an engine? What about tools? I know I will need some special things, but I'm not sure what. Any help?
I'm up in Plano . . . no room, but I DO have ANY tools necessary. If you need room, the BEST bet is Rodz Place in Leonard (hope you don't mind). A ways away, but he also has ANY tools necessary AND a lift and engine test stand! :eek:

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I got the thing out, engine and trans together. I think I'm just going to go thru everything while its out just so I don't have to worry about doing all that stuff again. I also realized about halfway thru the removal that I have NO idea how I am going to get that whole mess back in the car. What I really need is a lift and an overhead jack to put the engine/trans on to lift it back in place when I am done, so it sounds like we may be getting together soon for some Opel fun.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Actually, all you need to get the engine/tranny in/out of the car is a floor jack and a cherry picker (hoist). You've already got the package out, so when you get ready to put it back in, rent a hoist, hook it to the front suspension crossmember and lift the front of the car high enough to slide the package under the car, then drop the car over the package, then hook up the hoist to the package and lift it into place. The floor jack will help position the package when it's under the car. To see a pic of how I did it, go to my gallery and check out the GT album. HTH.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
ZEP, your more than welcome to bring it to Leonard and work on in the shop, I have a several engine stands, engine hoist, 2 ton hoist, car stands that you can put your front bumper 6' off the floor (wire reel stands for the big cable) Rotary lift, full set of tools, down to piston ring groove cleaners, to valve spring compressor, all we have to do is shove a Opel out and you got a space. The shop is also equiped with full bath facilites and Kitchen requirements such as (fridge full of beer) coffee pot, stove, sink, micro-wave, phone, internent, stereo that will blast you out, some heat. :) :D

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that just sounds like an offer I cant refuse Rodney. I'll be down in Austin for Christmas, but I should be back the first part of the week. I haven't worked out a timeline for the rebuild yet, but once that is figured out I will be in contact with you.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I missed the driving directions to your house on that. :D

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
how to get here Nobody

North Texas, 45 south of the okie state line and 50 mile northeast of Dallas out State Hyway 121 north towards Bonham from Mckinney on hyway 75, or just get with DavesGT27 for best way here from Colorado.
rk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking!!!!

Hi! My name is Lori and I live about 40 miles NE of Shreveport, La. I've had two Opel GT's and I am looking for another one. Both were 1973 and I just loved them. I am sorry I ever got rid of them. At the time, I was on the road and could not fix them up. Anyone knows of one for sale, that runs, that I can fix up, please let me know. I've been checking all the auto sites in Shreveport area and have had no luck.

Thanks,
Lori :cool:

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
leggylulu said:
Hi! My name is Lori and I live about 40 miles NE of Shreveport, La. I've had to Opel GT's and I am looking for another one. Both were 1973 and I just loved them. I am sorry I ever got rid of them. At the time, I was on the road and could not fix them up. Anyone knows of one for sale, that runs, that I can fix up, please let me know. I've been checking all the auto sites in Shreveport area and have had no luck.

Thanks,
Lori :cool:
I will keep an eye out for a GT they pop up every once in a while there are a couple in Austin that might go on the market from what I have heard, if I can confirm that I will let you know. There Is also a guy in the Dallas area looking for one.

·
Opeler
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back for more

Hey all, I'm back in business and ready to actually get this thing back on the road I think. I took some time off from work and just began my new job several weeks ago, and I should have enough room financially (finally!) to restart this little project. Rodney, is your offer from several months ago still on the table? I should have some free weekends, so if you are willing to lend me some space (and maybe some advice), I would like to start this. Anyway, just wanted everyone to know what was going on with the Bee.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Table

It's still there, you may have to help shove a few cars around to make some room. I am headed to Austin this weekend to pick up a friends Kadett and do some work on it for him. Just get in touch 903-819-4885 or leave a message, Currently running back and forth to Grand Prairie every day till the end of the month.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Lori

leggylulu said:
Thanks, Killer Texas GT. Please let me know if any get posted.

Thanks'
Lori
Did you get the PM on the GT in Tulsa?
Rodney

1 - 20 of 26 Posts