Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two wires dangling down by the automatic tranny. I was thinking would one be for the back-up lamp and the other the lights on the selector panel. I am no wiring genious and don'y want to hook up the wrong way.

Thanks

Dave

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
I've got the same problem, except mine's a 4 speed. if memory serves me, one is purple and the other is light brown. I felt around above the tranny and couldnt see or feel anywhere they would hook into??

·
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just dropped my car off the jack stands to move a playset in the backyard and can't remember the wire colors. But I looked on the wiring diagram and see that maybe the brown wire would be for the emergency brake?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The 2 wires in that area will be for the reverse swith. On the 4 speed its on the passenger side, either mounted around the shift linkage or screwed into the lower part of the main body. I don't know where it is on an auto tho.

·
1,546 Posts
I'll be under there later on today, I'll double check colors and have a feel for where they may attach. Is my thinking on the right track that they hook up somwhere on top of the tranny?? I've also got a thicker gauge brown wire hanging from the block right above the fuel pump?? Its only about 3-4 inches long and has no-where to go??This one has me stumped!!! I can take a pic if need be!
Thanks,
Joe

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
that is the ground for the alternator and should go to the block under the front bolt for the alternator mount.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
yellaopelgt said:
...I've also got a thicker gauge brown wire hanging from the block right above the fuel pump?? Its only about 3-4 inches long and has no-where to go??This one has me stumped!!! I can take a pic if need be!
Thanks,
Joe
That sounds like it is the alternator to engine ground wire. The alternator has rubber insultors for vibration and a ground wire is needed to ensure a clean ground path.

·
1,546 Posts
AAAAAAHHHH!! Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts