Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would start my own thread for the various projects that I have done or plan to do with my 69.

Here's the day I brought her home. Lots more to come!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

OGTS spoiler.

The edges of both sides need to by shape to your cars body. I took the mounting bolts out so it would sit flat... Well, flatish! I marker the high spots with a Sharpie. Sand, test fit, sand, test fit......... About 100 times.

I put the tape on the car, so I could make marks and lines. They ensured that the spoiler was in the exact same place each time.

End result.... Metallic Silver Rustoleum

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok! Here's the latest creation. I worked all week on this and I am very happy with it.

I wanted a different grill. Thought about chopping up a Chevelle grill, then a Nova and then an early Fairlane grill. Ended up deciding I would try to make a billet grill. Off to Lowes!!!

3/4" aluminum flat bar. A couple test bends and I was happy with the angle. A couple screws and clamps and my work bench was a jig.

Mapp gas heated it up great.

I piled up the 8 bent pieces. I sanded the faces all together, so they are fairly uniform. Then drilled both sides.

Picked up some 3/4" spacers while at Lowe's. And everything is put together on a threaded rod.

I got a couple brackets from Tractor Supply. I trimmed them, bent them, welded nuts on them and attached in the old bumper bracket holes.

Every piece was made for each spot, so it all had to be numbered and facing the right way. The ends were trimmed to match the angle of the lights.

Powder coating is done. Had my bumpers done and the grill. Could not be happier with it.

All these new straight lines are really showing off how crappy the body was done 20 years ago. Hahaha

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Looks awesome indeed!

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
That is a pretty innovative idea and looks awesome :) very well done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks, fellas! Appreciate the kind words.
My son said pictures don't do it justice. Looks way better in person.

Dieter, yours look a little more professional than mine. I love the orange and black color combo.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My billet flush mount gas cap is at the powder coater. Hopefully have pictures of it installed Monday evening.

Found a great new shop for p.c.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took a couple of chairs for the wife and ended up buying her a glider and two rockers for Mother's day.

Somebody had them done and never paid.

The red and hammer tone look awesome together.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Gas cap installed. Bumpers and taillights reinstalled. Just have to put the plate lights on. Still no flywheel......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still haven't got my flywheel back. So I got bored. Getting the Holley setup worked out now. So the Sniper system will be that much easier. Worked on the gas pedal today. A little cutting, grinding, heating and bending and we're set.

Get to do some port work the weekend.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking forward to it, Mark. I've got my cool little wedge that Krewzer made gonna go in too.

BSing with the guy that does my sandblasting the other day. He gave me the number to a guy that is supposedly the best TIG welder around. Gonna get with him and make sure he can close my intake up if I break through. Don't plan on going too crazy. This intake will get replaced.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, my prediction. 1 of 2 things are gonna happen here.... Gonna sound gnarly!!! Or gonna sound like shiza. Haha

Total Flow resonator. Found them online. Flow through, no louvers, just holes. One if the only 2" resonators I could find without louvers, like a glass pack.

Spintech Pro Street 9000. They have a 6000 that's louder, if need be. Haha

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And this is where I'll stop till I can speak with the welder.

Pretty fun. I quite enjoyed doing it. I got some really nice aluminum burr set of eBay. It's like cutting butter!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts