Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the dash in between the speedo and tach are a cluster of five (5) indicator/warning lights in the shape of an inverted pyramid, three on top and two on the bottom. Can anyone tell me what they are hooked up to?

I believe the blue is the hight beam, the others haven't come on.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,322 Posts
Indicator Light Cluster

Top left and right are your turn signal indicators
Top middle as you have stated is your high beam
Bottom right is the emergency break on indicator
Not sure of the bottom left (white).
RallY Bob should know...........

Removal of the cluster can be done by pushing on the top and gently prying out the bottom with a screw driver or like device.

·
587 Posts
The "WHITE" light comes on when the headlights are rotating ON or OFF. This is to show they are not locked UP or DOWN. There is a microswitch in the left headlight rotating assembly that controls this.

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Jim;
That's correct, it was just the 69 GT that have the rectangle ones. That's what I have in my 69 GT.
Gene

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i think i seen one of the mini-clusters with the square lights. maybe i'm wrong but i remembered there being something different about it than mine. i'll let you know

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Round lights

As far as I know, my white one has NEVER come on when turning the headlights. I always remember hitting the little BRAKE button at the bottom of the dash when I was a kid and made the red one come on though.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
the white one seems to be a warning light. only comes on if the headlights are flipped up and the switch is off, or if the headlights are flipped down and the switch is on. light always shuts off if the ignition is turned off though.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
dash lights

Hmm, then I guess the fact that the same light comes on regardless of whether I am using the right or left directional is not correct. I actually thought it might be correct, since I have had VWs with only one indicator light. I thought "That just might be an old German car thing."

Anyone else have that problem, and any thoughts? Oh, its the right one by the way.

·
115 Posts
My understanding of the purpose of the WHITE light is that it is an indication to the driver that the lights are not fully closed or open (locked position). While they are in travel motion to ON or OFF the light remains on until they lock in the desired position.

·
Super Moderator
5,992 Posts
Tom and John are right. If the microswirches are wired correctly and working, the white light comes on (when the ignition is on) when the headlights are in the "in-between" position. That is, neither locked fully up or fully down.

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
If your white "headlight bucket ajar" indicator lamp never turns on, you may want to check the 12g gray/green wire to the dash. It has it's own spade connector that isn't included in the five connector blocks on the fusepanel. If the dash panel was removed and reinstalled maybe it was never reconnected. Or I guess the bulb could be toast.
HTH
Bob
72GT

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Im guessing that both are correct. Ive removed the dash 43,214 times and have also never replaced the bulb.

I'm tinkering with the idea of redoing the whole harness (Scary) anyway and I can fix it then.

135 Posts
Indicator Light Cluster -- Replacing Burned Out High Beam Indicator Bulb

I have search related threads and read I can remove the indicator light cluster from the instrument panel without having to remove the instrument panel from the dash to replace any burned out bulbs in the cluster.

I do not want to leave any witness marks by removing the cluster from the panel if it requires much force to do so. And I really do not want to go throught the trouble of removing the panel from the dash to replace a burned out high beam indicator bulb. (Thinking maybe I am lazy -- Laughing).

My GT was manufactured January, 1971. Round indicator lenses. Your recommendations for best and easy way to replace an indicator bulb is requested. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
To remove the lite cluster, you just push in and up on the bottom ot the cluster, it should come right out at the bottom. The whole assembly wil be accessible including the wiring harnesses for all the lites. HTH.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
As for the square indicators, I think they were only on the 69 models and they are molded into the dash panel and are not removeable. I once bought a junker 69 panel just for the square indicators but quickly found out they were not interchangeable :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts