Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys,
I'm looking for tricks or tips for getting the Dash Pad off. I read one post that mentioned a long flexable screwdriver. I tried using my old flexable carb adjusting tool with a driver bit in it and that only resulted in my defroster vent now having it's very own screwdriver bit. Any tips for getting this bugger off without removing the windshield?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Dash(ed) Removal

REMOVE THE WINDSHIELD !!!

Your front screen needs a new rubber surround anyway cos it is all old and YUK! You may also have to drop the steering column - I did not try with that in place as it all looked too cramped and difficult.

You may get the dash out - with a bit of destruction BUT you will not get it back in again with the screen in place.

Just cut the rubber away and replace it with a nice new one from GTSource - they have nice "chrome" filler strips too. Your screen is worth far more than the old rubber:D

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
dash pad removal

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and remove the windshield, especially if the rubber is no good anyway, it makes it so much easier to do, seriously!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There is a special screw driver for that. I got a pair years ago from matco. They are actually called dash screw drivers. They are about 1 inch long and about 3/4 wide. I have removed one that way, with the window in place. It sucked, I worked on it off and on for a couple of days. By the time I got them all out I wanted to smash the window to put them back in. If the gasket was good I would still cut it to remove those screws. It also makes it easier to get around the "A" piller. If you have infinite patience the screw drivers were about 5 bucks.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wow, I never thought I would consider removing the windshield for this, But how hard is it to remove and then replace the windshield. How hard is it to get a good seal on the windshield? I guess this means I need to order a new seal from OGTS?

I started all this to get at the heater core, am I missing something? The dash pad does have to come off to get at the heater... right?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Book says remove instrument cluster and passenger kick panel. Then remove three nuts, after hoses in engine compartment. It seems right.

·
587 Posts
The dashpad can be taken out without removing the windshield. I have done it a few times & it really wasn't that hard. I WOULDN"T take the windshield out unless YOU want to because it's leaking. Why spend $100 when you don't have to or can't afford it. Plus the chance of breaking the glass.

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I have done it both ways. The first three times, it was with the windshield in. It was a PITA but I did it. The hardest part is putting the dash back in, because it is pretty hard to line up the screws back in their holes when you can't see them. But every time I eventually got them in. I found that a flexible screwdriver worked pretty good, but so did a short handled small-headed Phillips screwdriver. Either way just takes a bit of patience.

More recently, I removed and re-installed the dash with the windshield out. MUCH easier! But would I remove the windshield JUST to take the dash out? No way. Too much chance of breaking the windshield, and always a chance that it won't seal as well afterwards. But if I had a good reason to remove the windshield, such as re-painting the car or the gasket is weathered, or the windshield needs replacing, I would do it in a moment.

When you do remove the dash, make sure that you do EVERYTHING you need to before you reinstall it. Such as re-cover it (a vinyl kit is available from OGTS that looks great; John Warga just did his, with the windshield IN). Also make sure that the heater core is in good shape. They can be re-cored by most competent radiator shops. Go through the fan motor. Buy new brushes and make sure that the bearings are well lubed. And most importantly, when you have the heater out, make sure that the inner fender (over the fan, has a flat ledge from inside the wheel well) is intact and not rusted through. That's a very common reason for the fan to quit; mud builds up on the ledge, it rusts through, and then mud drops down onto the fan motor.

HTH

·
1,973 Posts
whoa, I thought that it would be easier to reinstall the wind shield with out dash out (they are both out right now) then try to put the dash in.....should I reconcider the order that I do this? Im mainly worried about breaking the wind shield.

·
Registered
364 Posts
dash

had my dash out two weeks ago ,found that a flexable screwdriver with a universal joint with black tape on it so it was not so flexable worked for me had the screws out in about 5 min.:

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. The only reason for pulling the dash pad is it was called for by my service manual when removing the heater assembly. "Nobody" seems to think the heater core can be removed with the dash pad in place so I will try that tonight. I will also get a long flexable screwdriver today, just in case I do have to pull the dash pad. Removing the windshield will be a last resort.

Thanks again for all the help. I've only had my first GT for the past three months and right now the focus is to get it road worthy before the snow sets in. Ohio. :D

Gregg

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you recall where you bought this flexable screwdriver?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i pulled the heater core/fan motor assembly without taking the dashpad out. i couldnt get to the screws under the windshield, so i just pulled the shifter console out, dropped the colum and instrument cluster. there is two screws that hold the bottom part of the dash to the transmission tunnell, took those out and the 3 screws holding the dashpad into the (door pillars or whatever you'd call them) i could then pull the bottom of the dash out far enough to slip the heater box out and under the dashpad. i can't speak for how easy it was, because i havent' ever had to do it again to try other ways, but it didnt seem to be that bad. i think it was about 3-4 hours for me to do it, and i'm juts a 15 year old kid who fixes cars in the backyard.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now I see why I should have had kids, I could use a limber 15 year old to crawl under the dash for me!:D I'll give your idea a try tonight. Thanks

·
1000 Post Club
4,115 Posts
I got my dash pad out without taking the windshield out. If your dash is not cracked, make sure you tackle this on a warm day so the dash can tolerate some flexing. I am not planning to put the pad back in until the spring for this same reason.

To aid in the removal of the screws at the windshield, use a small, but long flat blade screwdriver to get the phillips heads out. The blade will fit in the screw and the thin shaft will allow it to flex so you can angle the tip into the screws. I got mine out in about 15 minutes after the plastic gauge cluster was removed and the column was dropped. Just my 0.02.

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
hi washout
i also could use something thats young and limber but she,d have to be 18 or from the deep south were that dont seem to matter as much

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good one Baz, why didn't I think of that? :confused: and I'm from the deep south.:D

·
Opel Addicts
2,469 Posts
Dash tip

We have also taken several of our dashes out and put them back in without removing the windshield. Probably one of my least favorite jobs!

A tip for reinstalling is to go and buy longer screws. This has seemed to make it easier (relative term here) for us to get the dash reinstalled. Its also nice to have another person to help get the holes realigned. Sometimes you can see the alignment from outside the car--looking back through the windshield-- and help get the dash into place while the other person puts the screws in.

Good luck.

Vickie

1 - 20 of 70 Posts