Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The side vents, the ones with the little lever (BTW how do those knobs come off?) are not connected to anything and just flopping around.
The vent handles only open and close a gate type valve behind the grill in the vents. The knobs don't come off and the whole vent assembly is held in place by the hose hooked to the structure of the intake air plenum. When you take off the dash, the hose should stay behind, and the the vents come with the dash. Be very careful with the defrost ducts, they are prone to be very brittle and turn to dust quite easily, and there are no replacements available for them. If you don't have to touch them or take them out, leave them alone.

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
To get the windshield out is basically the reverse process from putting it in. Don't try to remove the glass from the gasket, take it out all at once. From inside the car you have to use a dull instrument, so that you don't poke a hole in the gasket, and work the gasket up and over the frame of the car. It's a little difficult to get it started but once you do you just keep working around the whole window frame and the window and gasket will come out in one piece. The one problem you can run into is if the PO used a sealer between the rubber and the car.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
really? it would seem easier to tease the glass out of the gasket, my gasket it quite new, judging by it's condition and pliability, I can easily peel it back and see the edge of the glass

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
just back from looking things over, if I peel the gasket back on the inside of the car, it just wants to snap back into place, how would you "hold it open" so to speak, or do you mean move the whole assembly, glass and gasket out from the car far enough that the inside lip is now outside and keep working? I'll try that, but my glass doesn't want to move much....yet

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
You don't try to move the glass at all. You have to get the rubber started in reverse of what happens when you use the wire/string method of install. It will probably take 2 or three screwdrivers or something similar in order to get it started. Lift up the rubber from the inside and try to snap its edge over the metal lip of the car toward the outside. If you can get a very small area started, then stick something in there so it won't snap back and then try again right next to that spot. A very small screw driver or awl might be necessary to get that first spot held open. Extra hands are always useful.

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
I would NOT use screwdrivers. Well, I did once, and then discovered the joy of sourcing a new windshield!
I think the "proper" technique is to use a cord with handles at each end. Push one end through at a corner, attach the handles and then GENTLY (like the cover of a clock:eek: ) use the cord to slide the edge of the rubber seal out over the edge of the flange in the opening, while GENTLY (yep, like that) pushing outwards on the glass.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
At this point I'm back and forth between popping the windshield off, attacking the dash screws, or pulling the heater with the dash frame still attached (at least under the windshield, everything else it removed).
As I get frustrated with one, I go back to the other, when I can work which isn't much at the moment, too many kids, too many duties.
Not to mention I smashed up the wife's mini van this morning, now I've got more to do.
:p

·
Super Moderator
9,739 Posts
Jeff'
That's not the frame of mind in which to do this. The dash has to completely come off in which to access the heater assembly. BUT, it can be removed without taking the windshield out. Difficult yes, but, not impossible, it's just easier to do it with the windshield out. I'd opt for EXTREME patience and leave the windshield in. My nephew is currently trying to find a windshield to store away for his second GT, and this I will tell you, it is not easy to find a good used windshield.
JMTCW,
Gene

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It will probably take 2 or three screwdrivers or something similar in order to get it started. .
NNNNNOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!! NOT the screwdriver- Not the screwdriver- I used 3 of my wifes magic chef plastic pan scrapers- if she finds out, she will kill me. It is hard blunted plastic about 3 inches on width. Bondo scrapers might do the same.
:cool:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff'
That's not the frame of mind in which to do this. The dash has to completely come off in which to access the heater assembly. BUT, it can be removed without taking the windshield out. Difficult yes, but, not impossible, it's just easier to do it with the windshield out. I'd opt for EXTREME patience and leave the windshield in. JMTCW,
Gene
I'll echo what Gene said. Granted the dash is very easy to remove/install with the windshield out, There are members that have done it that way. I didn't, but Willit? was totally disassembled anyway, but I did have pros remove/install the front and rear glass. My piece of mind was well worth the $90 each time for them to do the job. Besides, if they break it, they buy it. There were times I had to take a week away from the car, the fun was so intense, and Murphy was a regular visitor. BTW, fun is spelled FrUstratioN. That's probably why it is taken so long to get where it's at now. Patience must be used or time is lost as well as the cash reserves.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Okay well, here's some tools I've tried and given up on, I think mine is worse because of the vinyl cover which makes the dash thicker, the screws deeper, the room less. Unless I discover a technique that works, I'm not even coming close to budging a screw. I'm totally convinced the PO put the dash in with the shield out, explaining the new gasket.
I started tucking in the gasket as in the last two pictures. I could do this up and across the top but not, I don't think, across the dash, maybe the sides and top are enough to free up the shield.

Attachments

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
A very long thin straight screwdriver is what I did it with. The screwdriver was about a foot and a half long maybe even 2 foot,flexible and was the exact size as the screw heads. In my opinion,its the ONLY tool it can be done with. And..... I needed someone to be outside the car looking in to guide me where the actual screws were becuase I just couldnt do it "by feel".
I would also magnetize the tip so you dont lose them darn screws. I wouldnt even want to try putting the dash back in that way.......I'd try to save the gasket and just pull the windshield. It would cut your time down immensley, the frustration of fiddling with those little screws is enough to drive you nuts!!!
JMHO
Joe:no: :no: :no:

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
I understand the "no screwdrivers" statements, and as I originally posted it should be done with a "blunt" instrument. I mentioned screwdrivers because everyone has them, and what I meant was that they could be used to hold the rubber from slipping back in to place. I have had the glass in an out of my GT and my Ghia. As a matter of fact, the original Ghia rubber gasket is still in the car, the windshield came out with it on, and it went right back in. Careful, is the word, it's not the tools as much as the mechanic.:yup:

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
.....what I meant was that they could be used to hold the rubber from slipping back in to place.
Did you look at the pictures above? Is that the process? I'm guessing if I do this far enough around the glass it'll start loosen and come out.
Is it possible, when putting it back in, to set the bottom of the shield/gasket in properly and rely on the rope/wire pull to seat the rest?
I'm sure I'll find out. Unless I get away with not pulling it at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
dash

Jeff, when I did mine I used the flex screwdriver plus a 1/4 drive universal, then a socket that holds the phillips tip, then wrap some blacktape around the universal to stiffen it up and a piece to hold the tip in. Have a cold beer [if you're old enough]and relax an take your time.:beerchug:

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
did the "gasket tuck" along both A pillars, the ceiling and around the corners down the dash, gentle push and shield is safely out!!!
I then removed those @#$%$ screws and I'll tell you right now there is NO
WAY I would ever have gotten them any other way, one was so buried in the vinyl dash cover I could barely get it out with the windshield GONE.
Cool.
Pulled dash out, no major headaches BUT
One huge mistake.....I closed the hood, cable release is of course disconnected as per FSM. Doofus.
I'm screwed.
What to do? Jack up car, pull front wheel and try to reach up there and release it? Nice one eh?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, lotsa folks have been in that boat, and they wrote on this site how to cure the problem. Do a search for hood latch cable and I think you'll find the help you need.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I then removed those @#$%$ screws and I'll tell you right now there is NO
WAY I would ever have gotten them any other way, one was so buried in the vinyl dash cover I could barely get it out with the windshield GONE.

One huge mistake.....I closed the hood, cable release is of course disconnected as per FSM. Doofus.
I'm screwed.
See post number two of mine on this thread from 11/12/03:yup:
Most of us have done this at one tme or another- easy fix- discussed in several threads. :cool:

41 - 60 of 70 Posts