Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
how did guys get by without resources like this? I had that hood unlatched within 10 minutes of posting that'd I'd done it. The info: "10 inches deep ind 30 degrees up" won the day.
So yeah, shield came out easy really (having a fresh pliable gasket is certainly a huge plus, cutting off the old one like has been said may be okay, trying to save an old is probably as bad as going after those screws??).
So I got as far as pulling the duct work and taking off the heater box mounting screws, then I called it a night. Tonight I'm pulling the box and between this one and my spare I'm sure I'll get a decent set up going.

Fan motor: old one howls like a banshee for a few seconds, it's probably got bearing issues. My spare seems fine when hooked straight to a 12v source so I'm going with that. Not sure if I want to deal with the brushes they look okay, how do you go about getting brushes for it? Take it into a shop? I oiled what I could see of the shaft (not much) the impeller set screw does not want to come out.

Vent ducts: I mean to rebuild somehow the two vent ducts on the extreme left and right of the dash. I meant to grab a hunk on my way to work and find a replacement, what size is this stuff? 3"? (or the metric equivalent)
Surely this is common to do. Looks like I only have to get it into the cowl area, so not too hard.
Both my vents/flappers assemblies are disconnected from the back of the dash, time to break out the epoxy? I didn't see any attachement method but I didn't look hard yet either.

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
The two side vent units are made to snap on to the tabs that stick through the dash from the vent outlet grills that are visible on the face of the dash. If you find that the tabs are sort of bent toward the center of the little grill unit, and the flapper units won't snap on, just heat them carefully with a butane lighter and gently bend them back into place. This should be done with them OUT of the dash.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I used plastic vent tubing from JC Whitney- I think it was 3 and 1/2 diameter. Worked well and seems to be holding up. :cool:

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
The two side vent units are made to snap on to the tabs that stick through the dash from the vent outlet grills that are visible on the face of the dash. If you find that the tabs are sort of bent toward the center of the little grill unit, and the flapper units won't snap on, just heat them carefully with a butane lighter and gently bend them back into place. This should be done with them OUT of the dash.
the curse of the vinyl dash cover returns: I think this cover made the dash too thick, vents don't stick through far enough to "grab" the flapper housings. Further inspection confirms this. I'm thinking of taking the dremel to the back of the dash to grind out some material to all things to match up again.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
I used plastic vent tubing from JC Whitney- I think it was 3 and 1/2 diameter. Worked well and seems to be holding up. :cool:
I bought some from NAPA, 2 1/2" diameter, flex. Not cheap $4.29/foot hopefully it works. It's gotta be done, no way to stop the flow of air onto my hands and that air can be awfully darn cold.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
Just to wrap this up, all done, all reassembled and all working!!!
I drove her around all day (my birthday) and giddy as a school girl!
As for the side vents, I carved out the back of the dash to all more room for the two pieces to come together. I also added a bead of hot glue to help them stay put. Used the 2 1/2" flex (only need a few inches, 6 or so, each side. Certainly a pain to get them on decent and stuck into their openings, remember to do it as you put the dash in not after it's screwed back down.
Here's a picture of my set up, certianly not stock anymore in the engine bay but seems like it should work okay. Can't upload pic, it's in my gallery otherwise, or here; http://homepage.mac.com/jvandyke/hoses2.jpg
I'm really happy to have gotten her all back together and all working (even fixed the clock in the process) Windshield pulling is the way to go. I managed to pull it and replace it all by my lonesome and reuse the gasket (which was pretty new) and the old locking strip (which I put in without too much trouble and without the special tool).

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
Atta boy!!! And.. happy birthday too. Nothing better than cruisin on YOUR day.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Just got an email from Gil at OGTS. He said if you out the GT in the sun and let it heat up. heating the rubber make it more pliable. Once it has been in the sun for a couple hours, there needs to be two people to take out the windshield. The person on the outside makes sure the window doe not get broken, and takes the windshield (once free) to a safe place where it won't get broken. The second person presses on the windshield to release the windshield from the rubber gasket. Once it gets started, it sheds the rubber gasket, Once it gets started it will come off easily. This only works if the rubber seal is fairly soft. If the rubber is hard and brittle, you will need another gasket any way, so you may want to order a gasket and cut the existing rubber with a razor blade holder that has a 45 degree angle and cut away.

I have a a fairly soft gasket, so I am going to try getting the windshield and the gasket out in one piece. I also have a new gasket if all else fails. Since it is going to snow 5 out of the next seven day's, it might take a while. before I can put it in the sun.

Bob

·
Opeler
1,226 Posts
Just got an email from Gil at OGTS. He said if you out the GT in the sun and let it heat up. heating the rubber make it more pliable. Once it has been in the sun for a couple hours, there needs to be two people to take out the windshield. The person on the outside makes sure the window doe not get broken, and takes the windshield (once free) to a safe place where it won't get broken. The second person presses on the windshield to release the windshield from the rubber gasket. Once it gets started, it sheds the rubber gasket, Once it gets started it will come off easily. This only works if the rubber seal is fairly soft. If the rubber is hard and brittle, you will need another gasket any way, so you may want to order a gasket and cut the existing rubber with a razor blade holder that has a 45 degree angle and cut away.

I have a a fairly soft gasket, so I am going to try getting the windshield and the gasket out in one piece. I also have a new gasket if all else fails. Since it is going to snow 5 out of the next seven day's, it might take a while. before I can put it in the sun.

Bob
Heat is your friend....blow dryer or heat gun should replace the winter sun.

Good luck!

·
Can Opeler
3,462 Posts
Heat will help. Two people is unnecessary if the gasket is pliable.
Slight outward pressure while using a small flat plastic trim tool. Once you get a trim tool under the rubber lip on the inside of the car you can wiggle it and rock it all the way around the windshield to release the gasket lip. At that point you are done. You’ll be able to access the bolts with that tiny bit of extra room.

If you remove the windshield the rest of the way to make it easier to work on you can move it on your own. I’ve never had help installing or removing these, but it would be nice if you have help.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts