Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the clips that the instrument panel screws fasten into, is there a source for these or do you have to make new ones for any that are missing?

These are strips of metal folded over onto themselves, slipped over the steel tabs on the body (or dashpad?) with holes that the dash panel screws thread into.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
For the clips that the instrument panel screws fasten into, is there a source for these or do you have to make new ones for any that are missing?

These are strips of metal folded over onto themselves, slipped over the steel tabs on the body (or dashpad?) with holes that the dash panel screws thread into.

There may be a more specific name for them but a search for "spring nut" or "speed nut" will yield the type of of fastener you're talking about.

You're just not having any luck with that dash are you? Check your PM!

Harold

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The clips are available just about anywhere. We use them all of the time when you are restoring a vehicle.

There is a section at your Napa, Autozone, etc. called "HELP" which has all sorts of stuff hanging in red style packaging. There is always a little box with 10 of them on the shelf for about $5.00 in different sizes. Just match to the ones you need and you're good.

·
Senior Contributor
5,034 Posts
If you can't find the exact ones you need at your local parts house go to mcmaster.com and use their search feature to find the correct page and then you will be able to buy exactly what you are looking for. The only thing is you will be forced to buy in quantity, like 25,50, or 100 but the price will not be bad for an item like this. I believe you need the ones designed for a #8 screw. BTW if you want new black screws for the dash you can get them from mcmaster also, just order item # 91775A730

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am missing at least 2 clips that are small and painted black. One would go at the top of the instrument panel and one would go at it's lower left corner. These are smaller than the ones I usually see. They are narrower and one side that's folded over is not as long as the part at the back side that the screw threads into.

My dash pad has the mounting brackets that have a piece welded on the back of each bracket which will only allow one of these smaller, narrower clips to slide into. This may have helped in the alignment of these clips.

Are these smaller clips available at Auto Parts places or does somebody have some extra's? I guess these are called speed nuts at McMaster-Carr.

I am also missing 2 bolts and the nuts that attach the front dash vents. In my case the threaded stud (bolt) and the square plate at it's base have fallen off of the dash pad. Does anybody have any of these with good unrusted thread and some ideas on how to reattach them to the foam?

I'm replacing my vent hoses and working on the wiring but found that I need these clips, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I am missing at least 2 clips that are small and painted black. One would go at the top of the instrument panel and one would go at it's lower left corner. These are smaller than the ones I usually see. They are narrower and one side that's folded over is not as long as the part at the back side that the screw threads into.

My dash pad has the mounting brackets that have a piece welded on the back of each bracket which will only allow one of these smaller, narrower clips to slide into. This may have helped in the alignment of these clips.

Are these smaller clips available at Auto Parts places or does somebody have some extra's? I guess these are called speed nuts at McMaster-Carr.

I am also missing 2 bolts and the nuts that attach the front dash vents. In my case the threaded stud (bolt) and the square plate at it's base have fallen off of the dash pad. Does anybody have any of these with good unrusted thread and some ideas on how to reattach them to the foam?

I'm replacing my vent hoses and working on the wiring but found that I need these clips, etc.

Thanks.
Not to be a wise gluteous maximus here but read post #3

·
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks.
Does anyone have these bolts with base and what adhesive can be used that won't melt this foam?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Does anyone have these bolts with base and what adhesive can be used that won't melt this foam?
You can use the same square/bolts from the rear tail trim. You can get them at either Home Depot or OPGTS. I purchased the ones for my car from Home Depot and epoxied them in place. Make sure the metal is bare prior to expoxy the base in place.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is there a proper name or source for the metal clips that are in the dash and hold onto the ball studs on the back of the dash panel? I can find the studs, just not the clips. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts