Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give everyone a heads up on possible problems with defective windshields from Lo-Can Glass.
Back in April I ordered a windshield for my 73 GT. I finally got around to having a local glass installer come out 3 days ago to install it. When he could'nt get it to fit right we tried dry fitting both the old (original) and new windshields. It appears the new windshield does not have enough curvature in the lower corners to allow it to be installed securely.
After contacting Lo-Can glass and denying the car had been damaged and that the windshield was fitted by a pro glass tech they admitted they had received some complaints but though they had purged the defective windshields from the warehouse. At their request I sent a photo of the logo and number etching off the windshield. After contacting them today they told me that all remaining windshields in the warehouse have the same logo and number etchings as mine. They contacted another buyer requesting they dry fit the new windshield also. Failure to send another windshield leads me to believe the remaining windshields in the warehouse are suspect.
Unless it is just my bad luck to get a defective one, if you are considering a new windshield from Lo-Can you may want to wait until this issue is resolved. I will post a resolution to the problem when it happens.

Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Confirmation of defective windshields

Received confirmation email from Lo-Can glass today that all their remaining stock of GT windshields are defective. No indication of when or if a new batch of windshields will be received, but since they are issuing me a full refund I doubt it'll be anytime soon.
Anyone who was considering ordering a new windshield from them will need to wait or find a new source for the time being. Luckily the glass tech who tried to install mine gave me a lead on where I might be able to get an original.

Roger

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Thanks, Roger. That is good (and bad) info to send. My #2 GT has a scratch which was making me concider replacing it. By the way, can you post the numbers and batch for us?
Barry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
defective Windshield Lgo pic

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news, just wanted to save others the aggravation I had. Old Hippy, I can do better then that maybe, I'll try and download the pic of the windshield logo that they requested. Gary, don't know what happened to the model they made from your windshield, curiously though you see from the pic when I download it that they are made in England.

Roger

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Windshields

Okay with the problems I am having with the new Pilkington glass I received, I figured I would add to this thread as they are the same subject. The glass I received from Pilkington Classics is the same glass that previous buyers had purchased. Or at least the date and DOT codes are the same. I might have caught it at a good time the fact that 25 are being ordered right now as we speak. I will try to get the issue resolved, but wondering if I should go ahead with the glass and have it shaved down. I will call around soon. Anyway, here is a picture of my DOT info. I will be sending this information along with my pictures so he does know that the problem was stated at least back in 2004.
Keith

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
4,997 Posts
I guess I should have called Pilkington and complained after I broke my first one and maybe they would have done something for me. Probably a little to late now :sigh:.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
I will try to get the issue resolved, but wondering if I should go ahead with the glass and have it shaved down. I will call around soon. Anyway, here is a picture of my DOT info. I will be sending this information along with my pictures so he does know that the problem was stated at least back in 2004.
Keith
I hope that when you say "this information" that you are going to include either a link to this thread, quotes from this thread or both. Hopefully once they realize the power of the internet community to spread the word they'll make an even greater effort to insure the windshields are what they are supposed to be.

I'll give you an "atta Boy" on this one.

Harold

·
Administrator
10,075 Posts
Lo-Can closed up a few years ago. I wonder if their 'inventory' of defective windshields was sold with their assets? The reason they sought out an original German windshield for a new mold was their old one had a problem with creep at the lower edges and the windshields did not fit. It sounds like the new mold had the same issues. That was a nice tinted windshield I gave them....

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Yes

I will be quoting a few from emails I have gotten. Also Markandson, if you could write down the data on your windshield you had modified, also Vickie, if you could as well, I will get with these guys and get some work done with them. He is out until after new years, so I have some time to put something together
Keith

·
Administrator
10,075 Posts
The plot thickens

I picked up a new windshield from Lo-can after the first batch was made. Looks like it is the same manufacturer as the ones mentioned here. Sorry about the quality. It's cold in my shed.

Attachments

·
Opel Addicts
2,464 Posts
I will be quoting a few from emails I have gotten. Also Markandson, if you could write down the data on your windshield you had modified, also Vickie, if you could as well, I will get with these guys and get some work done with them. He is out until after new years, so I have some time to put something together
Keith
Keith: Cold and lots of snow today, but I'll try to get out back to the barn and uncover the car to get the windshield information for you. Maybe when I cart the Christmas stuff back there.

Vickie

·
Senior Contributor
4,997 Posts
Keith same for me. My car is at my shop in storage, which is now buried behind a mound of snow. I will try to get in on Friday or Monday and get the info for you. Thanks for working on this, it may not do me any good now but it will certainly help everyone in the future if they do something.

·
451 Posts
OGTS Windshields

The OGTS website says that they now carry windshields-

Previously when I checked the site said the windshields were discontinued-
maybe these are a new batch?

-Nathan
Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
OGTS has not updated their website for the most part in years, from what I
can tell-they will not ever, never, ever offer windshields again. Shane at Pilkington stated he talked with them every year, and knew they had some made years ago-but had issues with quality and such, but had heard nothing on the Pilkington ones. I guess that some people storing new windshields for later use may be in for dissappointment as well. I have a panel duplicating curve tool that I will try to use against the curve of the glass to draw out if there is a difference in curves as well. I will post it here. As for the new batch...I guess it slipped through the cracks about the error

Keith

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Now you see why I have the old windshields recondition instead of using a new one. I have been down this road so many times and have consumed lots of cash trying to resolve a no win scenario.

This incident is not only related to Opels, other models have the same problem which make a used windshield a more viable avenue.

Live and learn....

·
Opel Key Master
5,074 Posts
Repair and reconditioning of certain windshields is pretty much impossible, fog between the laminate and bubbles mean you are looking for a better one. I have 4 windshields, and some have wiper marks, some have large chips. I have never seen a glass, any make or model that I felt wiper marks were buffed or polished out enough to make it a show quality glass. Chips can be filled, but sometimes they are either too small or too large. There just isn't anything like new glass. We have a Torino Cobra at the shop we put NOS glass in, and it is amazing what new glass can do to the look of the car. So why have 3 new windshields and have them cut down to fit in storage, why not have it right the first time and when some are being ordered in production in England, have some changes made to a new run of glass and correct the problem. I guess I am surprised that nothing has been done to fix the problem in over 10 years. I would think enough people would have spoken up to the distributors and something would have been documented. Instead we buy them and just do not have time to deal with the manufacturers and try to get changes made. We have the ones modified and go about the restoration. The only one it hurts in the long run is the next guy going to buy the glass...this time it was just the wrong person; me. So I am going to try to make any effort to correct the problem. If there is someone in the country that can make a windshield with chips and scrapes look new from polishing and defogging, I will send them 4, but they better look show quality. So for now this is what I am going to do. I'm not getting on to anyone for not fixing the problem prior (its not our job-its theirs), I'm getting onto the distributors that continue to sell the glass like when they were Locan and not taking steps to make it better.
Keith

·
Incurable Opelitus
203 Posts
I was suprised when I learned that OGTS was no longer selling windshields. My windshield, although is has no cracks or large chips, looks like it has been thru a sandblaster. There are many, many, very small chips that together give it a sort of matte finish, and add a lot to the glare when the sun hits. I would love to think I could have this all polished out, but I have doubts it could be done to my satisfaction, and good, used windshields are getting harder to find.
So, Keith, I applaud your upcoming efforts to try and deal w/ this issue, as someday soon, I am hoping to get a new windshield. Any steps in that direction are greatly appreciated. By the way, what was the total cost of the windshield, including shipping?
Randy

·
Über Genius
9,044 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to send an old Opel GT windshield to the MFR to have them take their own dimensions.
What has probably happened is the MFR got some bad info to use as a pattern.
Getting their hands on an original windshield (assuming it fits) would be the best way for them to get a pattern.

·
635 Posts
See # 4 in this thread

Wouldn't it be easier to send an old Opel GT windshield to the MFR to have them take their own dimensions.
What has probably happened is the MFR got some bad info to use as a pattern.
Getting their hands on an original windshield (assuming it fits) would be the best way for them to get a pattern.
Gary Did that they still made defective glass .....

We have had bad luck with this supplier too the send us all the same ill formed windshield and they told me there is nothing wrong with them that they sold 80 of them and had no complaints from anyone.
I know this is not true I know of at least 20 FWS that were sold and they are all not right bottom curves do not line up and the gasket will not seal on it
If forced in place they will crack We had that happen at least 2 times over the past 3-4 years so we stopped calling Locan or the new company that took over for Locan. Classic Car Glass?
Once they are delivered they do not want them returned and have refused a refund request so good used ones are the best bet.
GOOD LUCK Keith I hope you get some satisfaction
Sure would like to know how the used glass is reconditioned as we do have quite a few of those in storage. (hint hint John! )

Happy New Years !!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts