Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some help from Opel the experts on this site. I recently bought a new distributor cap from a usually-reliable supplier on eBay. This is how it was described:

Bidding is for one new distributor cap, part number 6037-300 replacing Delco DN328, DR300, CD1023, 3479003, 3470061. This is listed as fitting Opel GT and Manta with Delco ignition from 1966 through 1975.

I assumed that the reference to the Delco "ignition" was in error, and that the over-riding reference was to a '66 to '75 GT or Manta, which defined it as a CIH engine. And to my knowledge, ALL CIH engines used a Bosch distributor, with a common cap.

But what came was a cap that looked somewhat correct, but had a screw-type mounting system (versus the Bosch distributor clips). Yea, I know, you can see the screws. So I didn't look as hard as I should have. But the vendor says: "some pictures used may be generic pictures and not necessarily the exact unit you are bidding on"

It's not a big deal, as it only cost me $4. It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing. The vendor insists that the application description wasn't in error. I believe it was, and a good argument won is sometimes better than, well, a lot of things.

Anyone know of a Delco distributor (stock or aftermarket, which is what the vendor claimed it was) that fits the models described? Curious (and argumentative) minds want to know...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Well, here's a thought, since GM shared so many other parts, i.e., the 4-spd trans with the Vega and such, it's a good chance that this cap may be for a Vega (I don't know for sure, as I have never seen the Vega motor) or possibly the Isuzu motor?

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
sorry to say this but you get delco -remy on mantas
they are 1.6 ---model 217
1.9 &1.6s -221
1.9 us only
manual -216
automatic -219

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
B & D

The Australian Holden Toranas with the 19S Opel Motors can have either type of distributor so both are used with CIH 1900 motors. Nearly bought that cap myself but have only one Delco distributor and the rest are Bosch. Hang on to that cap as it may be some desperate soul over there needs one!

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and he hangs his head in shame...

Well, I learn something new every day. THe judges have spoken, and the answer seems to be clear. There WAS a Delco-Remy distributor on some Opels, at least in Europe. Here's another answer that came via e-mail:

I tried to reply to your post on Opelgt.com but the board wouldn't let me. My European manuals list and show two different distributors that were used in CIH engines in Europe. One for Bosch and one for Delco-Remy. They used different caps, type of weights, etc. This is to my knowledge European only option, if you would like I will try to dig up more info on the differences and similarities. Darrin

Anyone need a Delco-Remy distributor cap?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Delco-Remy

Just saved two more 19S motors today and both have the Delco distributors. Fortunately the caps are available here in N.Z. at a lot less than the postage from Canada would cost:D

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim. I have "eaten crow" and apologized to the eBay vendor.

Would you be able to post a photo of a Delco distributor? And does anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages of the Delco distributor versus the Bosch? You say these are "19S" engines. I thought the "S" meant they were "U.S." engines. What are they doing in N.Z.?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
19S Motors

The Opel motors came from 1975-80 Australian Holden Toranas'
My theory is that as the export to USA wound down in 1975 GM Opel in Germany had surplus engine production and GM Holden in Australia saw the need for an entry level four cylinder car as the Vauxhall imports were being strangled out of existence by tariffs.

The "Holden" motors are German made and have 19S 130xxxx on up serial numbers. The starters and distributors are usually Delco-Remy - though I have found some Bosch units too. The carburetors are mostly the (not so) good ole Solex.
The compression ratio is 9.0:1 and the heads seem to be mostly three cam bearing models but with "75" up to "78" date casting numbers.

I'll get a pic of the dissy next time I pass the warehouse with the digital camera. They look very similar with the Delco cap and vacuum advance can (one vacuum pipe only) being the notable differences.

·
Administrator
10,213 Posts
Re: 19S Motors

GTJIM said:
The Opel motors came from 1975-80 Australian Holden Toranas'
My theory is that as the export to USA wound down in 1975 GM Opel in Germany had surplus engine production and GM Holden in Australia saw the need for an entry level four cylinder car as the Vauxhall imports were being strangled out of existence by tariffs.

The "Holden" motors are German made and have 19S 130xxxx on up serial numbers. The starters and distributors are usually Delco-Remy - though I have found some Bosch units too. The carburetors are mostly the (not so) good ole Solex.
The compression ratio is 9.0:1 and the heads seem to be mostly three cam bearing models but with "75" up to "78" date casting numbers.
Hey, could this be the missing link in Bob Denard's search for proof that the later 1.9S engines had 9.0:1 CR?
Quick, call the SCCA....

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
sorry if ive missed something but dose bob ned something like this ?
its from a european haynes for a manta 70/74
and keith all my stuff says the "S" is for a high power version

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
keith the pics i have are no good but this is clear
and only thing better i can think of is inturnal condenser

Attachments

·
296 Posts
uhm i think this will be a stupid question but who cares, i was wondering how do you see the difference between a delco and a bosch distributor, is it that the bosch uses clips and the delco srews?

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
nothing stupid about the question tom :) thats about the main visual diff between the 2 , i dont know if you get a better advance curve with 1 or the other but there are differences to the bob weights

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'm pretty interested in possible gains in performance with the "delco" dizzy. jim did say it only had the vacuum advance without the vacuum retard. i get alot of bits and pieces that a vacuum retard is not good for performance somehow. would this dizzy be possibly similar to the 75EFI dizzy?

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tom_laan said:
uhm i think this will be a stupid question but who cares, i was wondering how do you see the difference between a delco and a bosch distributor, is it that the bosch uses clips and the delco screws?
Different distributor caps was why I had asked. I bought an "'71 Opel distributor cap" on eBay, and this weird cap with screws came. Pretty useless for North American Opel. Weirder still, I bought from a North American NOS parts store. Wonder why they had it?

·
296 Posts
well the nature off my question is because i just recently bought some parts for the front brake calipers and a lot of stuff is useless cause it's the wrong stuff. i threw away 45 euro. i worked on the car last sunday still trying to get some life out of it and it DID. going to put a movie in another thread of mine in a bit. so my dad said get some sparkplugs a distributor cap , rotor and ignition braker. but before i buy the wrong stuff again i want to make sure i order the right stuff (and this time from suselbeek, although i don't like how they treath there customers).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts