Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran across a folder with pics of JJ Wheatly building his Aero GT that he sent to me years ago.

The pics are photos that he taped to a sheet of paper. (must have been pre-scanner days) It also includes a letter from Erhard Schnell discussing the Opel Aeros.

I'll be scanning them and putting them on classicopels.com

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
468 Posts
Best quote:
"All I wanted off this car was the tail lights, but the wrecking yard sold me the whole 'car' for $100.00. Then one summer afternoon in 1979 I decided to work a little bit on the body: and it got out of hand!" -JJ Wheatly

·
Registered
719 Posts
Gary, Thanks for sharing those pictures, and the story with them.

I met J.J. once at an Opel event around the year 2000 (?). I think it was at a park in Huntington Beach.
He was tinkering with something on the Aero GT, we spoke a little but I couldn't help him any.
Back then I was shooting Kodachrome and I'm not sure I even took a picture, now I would take many !

Today is the first time I realized that J.J. Wheatly lived in Fairfield, less than 30 miles from where I lived then.
And even closer to Vallejo where I worked. I just assumed he was in So Cal somewhere.. Oh Well ...

It may have been covered here before but I will ask anyway, Where is his Areo GT now ??

·
Administrator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary, Thanks for sharing those pictures, and the story with them.

I met J.J. once at an Opel event around the year 2000 (?). I think it was at a park in Huntington Beach.
He was tinkering with something on the Aero GT, we spoke a little but I couldn't help him any.
Back then I was shooting Kodachrome and I'm not sure I even took a picture, now I would take many !

Today is the first time I realized that J.J. Wheatly lived in Fairfield, less than 30 miles from where I lived then.
And even closer to Vallejo where I worked. I just assumed he was in So Cal somewhere.. Oh Well ...

It may have been covered here before but I will ask anyway, Where is his Areo GT now ??
I was at that 2000 OMC Picnic and also met him there.
I beleive the Aero is in either NC or SC.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
WOW Gary thanks for pulling these out and sharing.
Some really really nice opels there.
Funny you caught the snoozer sleeping in his car that was hilarious.
I wonder if the green one with the black hood is the one that Opelmel is looking to buy? Wouldn't that be something

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hate to be a wet blanket, but that seems like a lot of work for a car that frankly is no more attractive than a stock body Opel GT, and I doubt it is any more aerodynamic than the original.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Agree with you Terry; that car does have some cool factor. But I just don't get into customs unless they somehow improve the looks or performance of the original. I just don't see it on this car. But then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? I have no problem with someone doing something like this to their own car. I just don't see it as an improvement.

Unique and "won't see many" of them do nothing for me. For instance, this one that Gordo posted a few years back: we will not likely see another (thank heaven) and it is definitely unique. Neither of those attributes make it "desirable" to me!!! Although, I gotta say, I kinda like the hood.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Administrator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Funny you caught the snoozer sleeping in his car that was hilarious.
The snoozer is Charles Goin crashing after his cross-country trip. Walter Foxtree drove his GT from MA for that event and beat Charles for the longest drive award!

Edit: beat not bet

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
The snoozer is Charles Goin crashing after his cross-country trip. Walter Foxtree drove his GT from MA for that event and bet Charles for the longest drive award!
The last time I spoke to a Walter I asked him how many times he drove his Opel GT across the US. He wasn’t sure, but estimated at least 22 times (back and forth!) between Rhode Island and San Francisco.

That’s gotta be some kind of record!

Reactions: Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Hate to be a wet blanket, but that seems like a lot of work for a car that frankly is no more attractive than a stock body Opel GT, and I doubt it is any more aerodynamic than the original.
LynnB
The point of JJ's and to include Steve Daniels, is these cars were done by private individuals, not a huge corporation. The time that was spent getting these cars right is mind boggling. Also, Steve and JJ corrected the problem that the factory two cars had...a stiff chassis. Again, a lot of time and effort went into these builds.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Sorry...meant to say the problem JJ and Steve fixed was that the two factory cars lacked a stiff chassis. Both JJ and Steve made sure theirs had a stiff chassis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts