Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dieseling??

Last week I had a problem when my car would not turn off when I turned the ignition off and took out the key. It just kept going.
I have heard this is dieseling. Can anyone explain what this means and the cause of it?

Thanks, Jen

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...I don't think that is what happened. Deiseling is when the car sounds like its chokeing?? This just kept running smooth as if i was getting ready to take off. Also it lasted for 10 minutes or so. I got in it, put the key back in and turned it back and forth twenty times before it finally turned off. Don't know if that did it, or if the car finally just died. Haven't started it since, have been working on interior, but plan on jumping it this week. I will have to see what happens.

Thanks, Jen

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During my craze of trying to get the car to stop (without frying myself in the process) I did remove the white and the black connectors from the column to the fuse box. Didn't help.

Guess I need to buy some heavily insulated gloves.

Jennifer

Yes I have taken the ignition switch and cylinder out recently.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you tried putting it in gear with your foot on the brake and dropping the clutch to stop the engine? At least it would stop the motor, unless you have an auto.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I hear music we are all in trouble,cuz there is no radio in the car:D

I don't know if the fact that I was turning the key back and forth had anything to do with the car turning off.

I think it is the small black piece, in the ignition housing, with the metal strip in it. What is this for?
It has the gray wire soldered to it.

I am getting everything back together tonight and will start it tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

Sure hope it doesn't have a full tank of gas.LOL

Jen

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright.

I started the car and the same thing happened. This time moving the key back and forth did nothing.

I pulled the transparent wire at the fuse box, that goes to the coil, that killed the car. Everytime I kill it, I have to jump start it again and then it blows the fuse (the one at the transparent connection.

Also, I took notice that the mph, and tach were not working, and when I took the key out (the car still running) the lights would not work. If I put the key in and turned to on position lights would come on.

Any help???

Thanks Jennifer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am an idiot.

I found the problem this morning. Aparently while I was cleaning out some of the PO wiring jobs off the fuse box. I had disconnected the transparent wire from fuse box and put it back in the wrong spot. Yikes.

I hope this did not do to much damage to the car.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Hope I don't make a habit of causing my own problems

Jennifer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate all your help. Yes, you helped alot.

I do however believe I messed up the coil. Remember I said I have to keep jumping the car, well I still do. The battery gauge reads fine.

But I did cruz the neighborhood again. Boy are those guys jealous, and why wouldn't they be, I have an OPEL GT!!

Jennifer

PS. I did meet a new Opel owner today also. Went to have a key made for my gas cap, and the owners daughter has a 72 ....cool

·
371 Posts
hey have you tested your battery, to see if it bad, could have a dead cell. thats why you have jump it every time you want to drive it most part house will test it for you for free can really go wrong with that p.s. gt are alot of fun to drive arent they. i love to drive mine all the lokks you get and the ?s are fun too

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ben, thats just what was wrong. I was just telling another opeler how I took the battery to Autozone and it was dead, drained, bad.

Thanks for the response though.

And, yes, I love my Opel.

Jennifer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts