Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone telle me the difference (if there is any) between an Opel GT and an Opel GT-J?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Gt/j

The GT/J has no exterior chrome, ie, bumpers trim rings etc. There's also very little instrumentation inside, no rear side marker lights, and a different but, similar looking gas cap (non-locking). There's also no chrome strip in the windshield gaskets.

·
Opeler
51 Posts
The Opel GT-j had black painted bumpers, no carpet, reduced gauges, non-fake wood steering wheel just black covered, plain steel wheels, all chrome items were painted black. Now somebody will have to help me was the engine 1.1 only? All to bring the price down.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,818 Posts
opelblitz said:
Now somebody will have to help me was the engine 1.1 only?
It was 1.9 only, with 4-speed transmission only. As you said, to bring the costs down, but to still appeal to the youth market. Because youths eventually grow up to become adults, and need bigger, more expensive cars. So Opel was trying to 'hook 'em' early. Typical GM thinking.....

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
GT/J J=Junior

"The GT/J has no exterior chrome"

The door handles were chrome :rolleyes:

-Vinyl seats and door linings without structured surface.
-Narrower inside door handles of the Kadett B
-Rubber floor mats in front and in the back
-Missing "bag" at the driver's door
-Interior rear view mirror not dippable
-Foot pump for the windshield wiper system
-No cigarette lighter
-No engine compartment light
-No OPEL GT emblem at the glove compartment
-Exclusive 1900 ccm engine

74,4% of all OPEL GT sold in Europe between 1971 and 1973 were GT/J !

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
by the sounds of it, the way he worded his info, it sounds like he just put GT/J stripes on a GT AL.

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
GT/Junior

The OPEL GT/J was sold only in Europe and not exported into the USA.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There were GTs sold in the US market that had the side stripe as well. When he said engine compartment light he was refering to the dome light. The J was also without carpeting, it just had the floor mats. The chrome wasn't blacked out it was never chromed and just painted black. The door panels were left blank so to speak. All these things were to save cost. I saw a pic of a J gas cap recently and it looked similar but was thinner and had no lock. That was not a J on Ebay, it just had the stripe. I believe it had the standard 1.9, any changes there would have just added cost. What's funny is these items and cars are more valuable now than standard GTs, at least in the US.

·
www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
GT Junior

In Germany the AL is somewhat more valuable due to the higher demand.
Although the 1.1 GT exhibits very small production numbers, it does not reach the prices of the 1.9 GT.

·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx for all the answers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts