Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In all my years I either didn't realize it or I never remembered, that there are DIFFERENT bell housings for the CIH engine and stock manual transmission.

I'm kind of screwed, maybe.

I made my T5 adapter using the bell housing that I had as a spare. Well it turns out that the adjusting nut is in a different position on that bell housing than it is on the one I took out of my GT. It's off by a considerable amount too.

My adapter doesn't fit the bell housing that I took off my GT. It fits the other one fine?

Question.

Will either bell housing work in my GT or will there be trans tunnel clearance issues? I seem to recall, sometimes, having problems hooking up the clutch cable and sometimes not. I am pretty sure I now know why.

Learn something new every day!

This was my extra bell housing

This is the one I had in my car

You can see the centerline is completely different.

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,399 Posts
Makes me go back and wonder too.. I assume there are different ones but never had two beside each other or changed them out when I was changing them out.

Be curious what the answer is..

·
Opeler
252 Posts
Bell housing

Yes,the gt and the manta,ascona are different.We label then because we race both.As far as fitting the manta one into a gt I don't know

·
7,399 Posts
Learn something new every day.. and BTW explains a few things..

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
7,399 Posts
Nope think it went the other way.. I think I have a GT one in a Manta and it maybe part of the clutch problems I have had with the Manta.. remember something being "off".. but never put the old one and new one next to each other..

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope think it went the other way.. I think I have a GT one in a Manta and it maybe part of the clutch problems I have had with the Manta.. remember something being "off".. but never put the old one and new one next to each other..
Well, I think my son has the more horizontal one in his gt and we had a heck of a time getting the cable attached but it works fine so I'm going forward.

·
Opeler
2,886 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/7a-clutch/28132-different-bell-housing-tricky-transmission.html#post254555

This discussion may have some answers.
Different shift towers between the Manta and GT?
OK, so somehow I ended up with a Manta bellhousing on my GT transmission. Not too hard to solve that riddle seeing as I powder coated the bell housing and swapped it onto my transmission when I did my first rebuild on this engine last year.

So, the weird thing is I actually set up the T5 adapter using my original GT bell housing as a guide so it actually will go back in just fine, based on what I just read.

This is good news and a load off my shoulders.

Note for all who stumble upon this. If you plan on putting a T5 into a Manta you will need to do some heavy duty adaptation and maybe only have three bolts holding the T5 adapter to the bellhousing.

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
AFAIK, the only reason for the different bellhousings is clutch lever clearance depending on the application. The body sits lower around the transmission on the GT therefore the clutch lever needs to be angled down more. The 50 series cars allow easier access to the transmission therefore the lever can exit higher up in the housing. The clutch levers are interchangeable, pivot points are the same, and the clutch cables are aligned with the other end of the lever. I seriously doubt there is any difference in leverage.

Harold

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AFAIK, the only reason for the different bellhousings is clutch lever clearance depending on the application. The body sits lower around the transmission on the GT therefore the clutch lever needs to be angled down more. The 50 series cars allow easier access to the transmission therefore the lever can exit higher up in the housing. The clutch levers are interchangeable, pivot points are the same, and the clutch cables are aligned with the other end of the lever. I seriously doubt there is any difference in leverage.

Harold
So wait. Now you are saying the GT bell housing is the one with the lower angled clutch fork?

OK, for clarity we will label these as #1 and #2

Which one is native to the GT and which one isn't?

·
Opeler
252 Posts
Bell housing

Yes #1 is out of a GT.I went into the shop to see what bell housing we use when we use a 6 cylinder 4 speed and it's the same as the manta,so have run that bell housing with no problems.And from the pictures it's the only option.Keep up the great work,I think I'm going the t-5 route in the street cars

·
Über Genius
8,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts