Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here so forgive me if this has come up before and for offending any originalists out there. Has anyone had experience with digital dashboard installations. I want to replace the stock instruments with a new dash and put in a double DIN stereo with navigation and back up camera in my '73 GT.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Yes, there have been digital dashboard discussions. Try this thread for one: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/29364-gordos-gtx.html It is a build thread so you can only find the dash part by looking through the whole 1500+ posts. Actually, it could be way less depending on where you start! :haha:

Since you are a newbie, let me welcome you to the Forum. Then, as part of the initiation ceremony, let me introduce you to the "Search" function that no one likes but everyone points out. There is more than one way to search, both located in the upper right hand corner of the page. Type in a word or 2 and "enter". Try your luck. It won't take you too long to figure out why no one likes it! Some people prefer the Google, but ??

Tell us about yourself and your car/plans/etc

Doug

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,300 Posts
That's me with the GTX thread slracer linked to. A better link to the dashboard can be found in this thread, the first post of which has links to other threads that might interest you.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-other-electrical-gauges-instrument-panel/61097-diy-dashboard-gordo-style-13.html#post725985

Member Heliman put a Dakota Digital cluster in his traditionally shaped dash. His whole dash top is actually carbon fiber or fiberglass, so it's not 100% a normal GT dash. Just a couple other people have gone digital.

The oval one I chose will just barely fit between the dash top and the steering wheel. This a critical area to size correctly when shopping for digital gauge systems. If you go with an all in one unit like I have, the wiring up is pretty easy, just connect all the wires to the control module and then a phone cord goes from that to the dash.

I can certainly understand why you would desire a double din stereo and all the features you can have in them. And mounted up top where the 3 round gauges are is definitely the go to place to install one. That's one of the big reasons I decide to make my own dash, so that I could fit stuff like that.

I never considered installing the digital dash cluster AND the double din in the oem dash, so I can't tell you if there is enough room between the firewall/defroster vents and the front of the top of the instrument panel, you may have to design your new instrument panel or stereo mounting concept to allow the stereo to stick out a little. That's no biggee, just plan for that eventuality and design around it.

The Dakota Digital dash cluster I bought cost about $900 and it came with digital converters for the temp, tranny speed sensor, and oil pressure. Look through my DIY dashboard thread for some of the minor challenges you'll need to conquer.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
602 Posts
This is my Dakota Digital Cluster, also has the DD heater and A/C controller, Single Din Stereo and the GPS has a backup camera in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my Dakota Digital Cluster, also has the DD heater and A/C controller, Single Din Stereo and the GPS has a backup camera in it.
That looks great! Very much what I have in mind. Did you make the panel? How about the dash?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Reactions: dpre and soybean

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,300 Posts
I think he filled in the gaps and cracks of an old dash, then laid carbon fiber and resin over it. Then he cracked it loose which gave him a thin shell in the shape of a GT dash. Then he fashioned mounting tabs and bonded them on. I presume that the instrument panel face was just a thin panel of wood or something, maybe covered in carbon. Then lots of sanding.

As I recall, I think Heliman said that he didn't take any pics as he did it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Even though an old Thread, Very, Very nice. You mentioned something that really piqued my interest. Cruise Control? How? I have often wondered how to install that feature in an Opel. My 1000 mile journeys to Fla would put my right foot to sleep and I learned how to use my left foot on the accelerator:cool: Jarrell

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,057 Posts
Even though an old Thread, Very, Very nice. You mentioned something that really piqued my interest. Cruise Control? How? I have often wondered how to install that feature in an Opel. My 1000 mile journeys to Fla would put my right foot to sleep and I learned how to use my left foot on the accelerator:cool: Jarrell
Everything you need (besides the switch) is in this box:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1223/overview/

The switch is in this box:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-3032/overview/

I have one in one of my Opels and can't praise it enough. It is not using vacuum which is an important feature for an engine where the vacuum is not too constant. It actually uses a servo motor in the controller box to operate your throttle. Very precise and smooth operation!
I actually happen to have another one of these laying around, brand new in the box and never used or installed, including the switch. If you are interested, you could have it for cheaper than if you buy it from Summit.

Dieter

·
RunOpel
1,234 Posts
I have given this some thought as well Jarrell :yup: Thanks for the info Dieter. Also thanks for bringing this thread to life Jarrell. Re- reading the posts have been enlightening :yup: That dash of Heliman is amazing and so is Gordo's. Especially Gordo with all of his pictures and process of the project. Very well put together.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mine came from DD but this is the same cruise control I've been using for the last several years. It works flawlessly, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: dpre
1 - 13 of 13 Posts