Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed any digital guages yet? How well did it work? I am thinking of doing this over the winter in the Manta possibly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have been thinking about a digital dashboard (I believe this is what you are thinking about?) I looked at Dakota Digital where we will be buying (when we have money again) a digital dash for the Camaro. For the Opel GT it will prob. cost me $800 though - which is a bit pricy ($500 for the camaro). Dakota Digital is a very safe bet though - they do very good work. Where were you thinking about buying one from?

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA
1970 Opel GT
1967 Camaro

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,140 Posts
That particular GT is being sold by JJ Wheatley, of Destec Engineering fame. He has designed several upgrades for the GT and from time to time will put similar items (in kit form) up for bid on eBay. He has been involved in a left coast to right coast move recently, but has started to get active on the lists again (from what I hear). Maybe you can contact him directly.
Good luck with your project,
Rick
73 GT
75 Manta

·
Opeling since 1991!
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I DO really like the look of those guages on that GT. But I have considered the idea for some time now and there has been little investigation into the choices.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
digital

if any one does do a conversion they should post a
instruction manula on how to d the conversion...

·
Opel Addicts
2,472 Posts
I have been looking at using digital gauges also. My question is this, are you planning to use these gauges in the stock GT instrument panel? I see that you say you can just rivet the new gauge to the old mounting brackets. But, aren't at least the spedometer and tach on our GT's oversize, hence the opening would be too large for the new gauge?

Thanks,

Vickie

·
102 Posts
i am curious now ...

19693SGTEOPEL said:
also you can prob get a digital clock from vdo cheaper then you think!

The indication I get from reading your post is that you have a catalog handy.

You got me curious now,
You don't happen to know the Part# and price they have
for the quartz/analog clock, do you?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Has anyone contacted the company listed above about their gauges? I just sent them an email (thru their site) which got bounced back to me as being undeliverable. Are they still in business? Or is this another example of a business that dies in real life but lives forerver in cyberspace?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay so the one above prob. wouldn't work for a GT, but it is still very cool. I don't know if this one could be made to work or not - I still really like it.

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA
1970 Opel GT

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
And last but not least - I think this one could be made to work for a GT - though if you send your dashboard in - minus the gauges - they will custom fit what you want in. Which is prob. what I'll end up doing - If I ever have the $$$.

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA
1970 Opel GT

Attachments

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
gauge ?

the gauges for temp volts oil press and fuel are all 2 1/16 inch gauges??? also how do the new gauges attach do they have brackets like the stock gt ones so u can use those thumb nuts to attach them with or do u have to make custom mounting brackets for them also the gauge size for the tach and speedo are 3 3/8 inch diamter and also the same qustion do u have to make mounting brackets???? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
www.dakotadigital.com. I haven't actually bought anything from them, but the get VERY good reviews. If I understood the web page, you can send your dashboard to them with out the stock gauges and they will custom make gauges to fit- so you just put your old one back in with the new gauges.
quote from their website ->

Question:
I don't see a kit for my vehicle? Can I still have Dakota Digital gauges?
Answer:
Most vehicles that we don't have a kit for can be handled by our custom shop. For most customs you will need to send in your original bezel and gauge housing so that we can remove the factory gauges and custom build our digital gauges into your bezel and housing. The bezel should be sent in "ready to install" condition so if it needs to be repainted, chromed etc. be sure to do it before you send it to Dakota Digital. For more information call Dakota Digital's custom shop at (800)593-4160.

I think last time I figured it out it was gonna be around $800 for them to custom make one for the GT.

If anyone does get one before I save up the money (keeping my fingers crossed for this fall - unlikely to happen, but maybe) could you let me know how it works out?

Thanks!

Heather v. Havel
1970 Opel GT

·
Opel Key Master
5,232 Posts
Digital Guages

I still prefer the ones that destec makes because he designed them with the GT in mind. They have Opel ensignia on them, and not only do they read the speed, there is also a light bar that moves up and down when you increase or decrease your speed. I don't think he is making anymore of those, but I would like to find out, for I would be willing to spend some money to get a set of them.
Keith

·
Opel Addicts
2,472 Posts
If Destec were making and selling them for the GT I would be buying in a heartbeat. Anyone know if that is a possibility?

Vickie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts