Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i searched the site and i couldnt find any info on this subject...
i recently blew the 1.9 in my gt. i picked up 3 1.9 engines in order to put together one that would run in my car. all of them only came with one dipstick out on an aluminium oil pan. my question is is there more than one size dip stick? cause i have 4 quarts in the new engine and no oil is coming up on the stick... also is there and inner dip dtick tube as well as an outer tube... ?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There are two dip stick lengths, one for aluminum pans and one for steel. The steel ones are shorter becouse they go into a hole in the block not down the tube for an aluminum pan. An aluminum dip stick measures 11 5/8 from tip to base of rubber seal. HTH

·
Opeler
3,095 Posts
Current GT is a 1971 with aluminum oil pan. Dipstick rubber seal was deteroiated and replacement seal (at that time) was impossible to find. Had USA OPEL (Jim M.) bring a used dipstick ($20) to our Southern Calif. Opel Meet.

If you are using steel oil pan, Opel GT Source should have the replacement dipstick.

From another POST:
When measured from the plug flange (where the plug stops against the block), the length of the dip stick for the steel pan is about 7 3/4" and the length for the aluminum pan is 11 3/4".

Lindsay
71 GT

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Re:aluminum oil pan

just got a used oil pan from a club member in the chat room, chat room is a fun feature,come by and chat about opels

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
OK all you dipstick experts- I have a 1.9L Kadette engine in my GT courtesy of the PO. How do I know? The dipstick is on the passenger side. what are the lenghts on the Kadette dipstick? :confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
The engine in my 73 was from a 69 kadette (prior to rebuild). I changed oil pans but I may have the kadette dipstick around somewhere. I'll look tomorrow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I really, really need a dipstick for an aluminum oil pan. My engine is getting closer to being done, and the dipstick is AWOL from the donor oil pan. I tried Gil, and he didn't have one.

Any ideas as to where one can be found...Most days I'm surrounded by dipsticks, just not the right kind!

·
Opeler
3,095 Posts
The P/N's I show for my 71 GT aluminum pan dipstick are:
8 960 960 9 275 396

Rubber stopper to "FULL" mark is 9.25 inches.
Rubber Stopper to "End of Dipstick" is 11.56 inches.

Lindsay
71 GT

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
baronbors said:
OK all you dipstick experts- I have a 1.9L Kadett engine in my GT courtesy of the PO. How do I know? The dipstick is on the passenger side. what are the lengths on the Kadett dipstick? :confused:
Tom,
Is it an aluminum pan? If so, it should have the boss cast in on the driver's side for the GT dipstick. I plan on using a '69 Kadett aluminum pan in my Sportwagon (rather than the stock steel one, in spite of RallyBob's contention that the steel pan is more durable; I just like the look of the aluminum pan). I have already gotten it prepared, by tapping the Kadett dip stick hole for a plug, and drilling out the GT-style hole, installing a tube (to raise the level that the dipstick seal is at), and modifying an old dip stick to fit. If I get a chance, I will pull the Kadett pan out and take some photos, and also of the modified dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
OK, I went and dug out the Kadett pan modified to the GT-type (at least side) dipstick. If only I could complete projects as fast as I can photo-document them.

The first photo is of the Kadett pan, showing the original passenger side dipstick hole. I don't have the Kadett dipstick, since it was John Warga's pan from the PYP Kadett, but if it is REALLY important, I can ask him to find it. To block off the old hole, I just drilled and tapped it for an M8 plug. As I recall, the existing hole was already pretty much the right size for tapping to the M8 size. By the way, how the HECK do you use a passenger side dipstick on a GT? Doesn't the exhaust manifold get in the way?

The second photo is of the driver side dipstick boss, with an aluminum tube inserted into a hole I drilled. Here are some details:

1) I drilled a 17/64 " hole down the centre of the boss into the pan, trying to follow the same trajectory as the GT hole, which is pretty much right down the angle of the boss. It was actually easier than I thought, and after comparing the Kadett pan to my GT pan, the exit hole was in virtually the same location in both pans. This is important, as you don't want the dip stick to interfere with the crank, nor be at a much different angle which will alter the dip stick level readings.

2) Next I drilled a 7/16 " inch hole about an inch into the boss from the top, following the first hole as a pilot. This was to allow a dipstick tube to be installed, to make sure that the dipstick seal was above the boss top, which, in my mind, is better than having the seal down lower where it would be more prone to leakage.

3) Then, I tapped the 7/16" hole with a 1/4-18 NPT (National Pipe Thread)thread, to receive the tube.

4) I found a piece of aluminum tubing the approximate correct dimensions (I think it was a piece of ski pole, but it could easily be a steel, or even copper tube if that is what you can find). I threaded one end with the corresponding 1/4" NPT thread, and drilled out the other end with a 29/64" drill (to receive the dipstick seal)

5) I threaded the tube into the boss, sealing the threads, and after test fitting, cut it so that 2 7/8" protruded above the boss (as per the next photo). This is shorter than the GT tube, but I sized it to match the steel-block dip stick I had.

6) The dipstick I used could have been pretty much any dipstick, with a seal that matches the tube (so either find the right seal, or drill the hole in the tube to match the seal), and cut and marked to the right length. This dipstick was from the Ascona, which is a '75 with the dip stick hole in the block, which I will plug when I use the aluminum pan). The next photo shows the dipstick (number on it is 9 275 402) which indicates the full mark at 6 5/16" below the top of the seal, and the "add one Qt" at 7 5/16". This corresponded very closely to the oil depths of a GT dipstick in a GT pan, so I know the marks are correct.

The last photo shows the actual depths in the pan of the dip stick marks. If you can't see them, the "full" mark is 3 5/8" above the pan bottom, and the "add" mark is at 2 3/4". Again, this matched up with the depths of the GT dipstick in the GT pan (I would show a photo of that, but the GT pan is out being bead blasted)

The one thing that I am worried about is how the tube length works with the '75 block, and if it clears the starter. I didn't have a block to test fit it, as they are both at the machine shop. But if it doesn't work, I just plan on plugging the tube, and using the original '75 block dip stick hole. And why didn't I just do this anyway? Well, I wanted to see how hard it was to modify the Kadett pan to fit a GT.

HTH

Attachments

Reactions: John B

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
kwilford said:
By the way, how the HECK do you use a passenger side dipstick on a GT? Doesn't the exhaust manifold get in the way?
HTH
Are you suppose to use it? I thought it was just there for decoration. The checking of the oil with a Kadette engine in a Gt is an adventure in HELL. First - only can check the oil with the engine cold
Second- have to remove the vacumn lines from the manifold
Third- get a flashlight and shine it down the side of the engine so you can locate the dipstick
Fourth- pull the stick -check the level
Fifth- try to put the dipstick back in by the braille system
Sixth- re-attempt #5 until successfull
WARNING- never try this with a hot engine as you will accumulate massive amounts of scar tissue on your hand :rolleyes:
BTW- the magnet sticks to the oil pan- guess it's not ALU-MINI-UM

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
kwilford said:
But if it doesn't work, I just plan on plugging the tube, and using the original '75 block dip stick hole.
Sorry, oh Moderator-Supreme, but the block holes don't work with the Kadett oil pan. The sump on the Kadett pan is so short front to back that the block holes are too far forward to actually go into the sump.

Even on the Kadett the passenger's side dip stick is a PITA to get to. On my wagon I have a sightglass installed into the driver's side so to check oil level I just have to lean over and look in through the driver's side wheel well at the sump. I like it a lot. I'll try to get a picture if anyone's interested when I finally get home next week.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
meanwhile

Until I get a picture, you can look at the parts themselves and get a pretty good idea what goes where. I used part # 3280K16 from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com pg 452, $19.92) but if I were to do it again I would spring for a little more and use part # 1118K69 ($35.51) or 1118K63 ($39.57) because they have a built-in thermometer to indicate oil sump temp.

·
Super Moderator
5,882 Posts
oldopelguy said:
Sorry, oh Moderator-Supreme, but the block holes don't work with the Kadett oil pan. The sump on the Kadett pan is so short front to back that the block holes are too far forward to actually go into the sump.
Hey, that is Über Moderator! Hmm. Curses, I knew that and forgot. So, Stephen, do you think my short dipstick tube will work? If not, then I guess I am using the stock steel pan, or installing a longer tube that is curved like the GT tube, and finding a GT dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
kwilford said:
Stephen, do you think my short dipstick tube will work?
Keith, with the R&D you already put in on it, I really wonder why you are going with that short a tube and any of the stock dipsticks at all? Once you know where the full and 1qt down levels are in the pan, you can make a matched set of dipstick and tube any length you want. I, myself, would route the tube up above/beside/in front of the starter so it was nice and high to facilitate easy grabbing. The dipstick can be made out of almost anything, but I prefer a nice heavy round rod, like stainless welding filler rod, then rough up the end of the rod with something like a grinder, and cut lines into it for you levels.

But, since you've already done all that work, I would use it. ;)

·
195 Posts
I revived this thread because I have an oil dip stick issue. I checked several threads and none answered my questions so here it is. I have a block that takes the aluminum pan with the dip stick in it but I don't have an aluminum pan. There is a hole in the block where a dip stick would go but it is much smaller in diameter than the hole that is in the block of my tired engine still in my car. The dip stick slides thru the hole but there is no room to accomodate the rubber grommet on the dip stick. Can the hole in my new block be drilled to accomodate the dip stick grommet, is there another solution that some one has developed, or do I have to seek out an aluminum pan that accomodates a dip stick?? If it can be drilled what size do I drill it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Mark, the steel pan blocks have a dip stick tube in them so the size alone is just part of the issue. OGTS sells new dip stick rubber but it sounds like you need an ali pan. I have one but it's cracked, I was planning on sending it out to be welded at some time. It got dorked in the bottom and I could probably just RTV it but I'd rather be absolutely sure. If you need it, consider it yours. There is a difference in the dipstick itself so you need to find out which one you have, 3/4 of an inch comes to mind but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts