Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
electrical

Has anyone found that when you use the directional signals left or right the inside green lights will blink showing the correct direction but then both inside lights will start blinking. Any fix? I have tried lots of things like grounds, bulbs, and cleaned most contacts. Think its behind the instrument panel ?

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Yes, my GT does the same thing. I haven't quite figured out why both indicators blink together. I notice the first few blinks the correct green light comes on, then they both blink in tandem. Currently, I have the dash completely removed, and I don't see anything that would cause this problem. Maybe it's the flasher relay itself? Or something in the wiring to the turn signal lamps. I will let you know if I find a solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
electrical

Thanks for the replys. I have glass beaded all light socketsand cleaned grounds on all outside lights. It could still be a bad ground inside, behind the panel . Also tried several relays. Its no big deal but it bugs me. Got all winter to find it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
grounding problem

I had this problem after new paint, The front blinker casing that is attached to the fender is not properly grounded to the fender.

Or its a rear bulb socket issue, just need to be cleaned and the contact points need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No solution. I tried lots of things with little change. I did talk to the Opel GT source guys about it and they have truobleshoot the same problem. There conclusion is that the system got real sensitive over time and some resistance caused by several factors including bulb filament resistance from bulbs made outside the U S causes this problem to persist. They still have the problem. Will continue to deal with it while searching for a fix.

·
1,973 Posts
19693SGTEOPEL has figured it out and explained it in a previous post, here it is i am quoting him.

"Hi OPELERS: I have discovered the flaw in the GT electrical design. This flaw causes both turn signals to flash in the dash indicators when turning either direction! The fix is simple it takes less then1 min to repair with the dash out !

step 1 order (2) HI beam lamp sockets that comes with the gt dash

step 2 remove the BLK/YEL wire off of both turn signal indicators and tie it off some where or remove it up to the flasher!

step 3 install the (2) HI beam indicator sockets into the turn signal sockets and reconect the original wires for the turn signals to the original light indicator post positions these new light sockets will have only one terminal on them that is where you connect your blk/grn & blk/wht wires up too disregard the BLK/YEL wire its gone! thats it! all done!

The reason you have dual flashers is because when one indicator in your dash is flashing that indicator goes for the easy grnd to complete the circuit unfortuinetly when a lot of gts are repainted its usual ground is gone and the dash indicater decides to ground instead through the other ground closer in the circuit through the other light bulb! I hope this is detailed enough and explains it!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellant thanks for the info. Seems like lots of GT,s have this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts