Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm closing in on getting the paintjob done on my GT that has been undergoing a major restoration for some time now. I have never disassembled a GT before, so I could use some pointers for almost everything (except engine, gearbox etc). I'm most concerned about the headlights. Are they easy to disassemble / assemble for a "newbie"? Also I could use some pointers for the doors (lock / handle / windows etc).

All pointers are welcomed :)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Check the Articles sections

Eric,

In the articles section of this site is a very good write up of how to assemble and there for disassemble the head lights. It was writen by a very good writer (Gary-Super Moderator!!)

Good luck and the restore.

I am in the same proces my self!!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Headlights!

The thing to remember about the headlight buckets and covers is that there is a LH one and a RH one of each. The paint shop tried to put mine back in without knowing that and were rescued by me as I had seen a small "R" stamped on one and "L" stamped on the other by the factory. It only became blindingly obvious what that meant after a bit of frustration.

The buckets do NOT need to be bent, squashed or wrestled with as long as the headlight hole in the front guards has not been mis-shapen by accident damage or over-enthusiastic bodyshop persons.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
The door handles and locks are prety easy to get out, they are just held in place by screws and nuts. The windows can come out in one piece with the hardware to roll it up and down, with just a little manipulation. It has bolts along the top and bottom side of the door. The hard part is getting the window crank pulley and cables setup again. Do a search and you'll find a few suggestions on the best way to do it. The window scraper trim on the outside edge pops on but you have to be carefull not to bend it out of shape if you plan on reusing it. The widow channel felt is help in by small clips but comes out pretty easy too. It's not as tough as you might think. Good Luck. HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, doesn't sound too hard. I will search for the things you guys mentionen. I guess I'll see how it's all put together as I go along too :)

Thanx for the replies.

/ Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts