Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get a replacement of the dust cover that sits under the rotor? Mine is pretty bent around the edge so I'm thinking I should replace it. I don't see it listed as a part anywhere that I can find.

·
1,183 Posts
I’m curious why you want one? Are you just trying to make it 100% original or do you think it will make your car run better? I have two GTs. One has the cover and one doesn’t. Both run great.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,493 Posts
Haven't used one of those in 40 years. Same goes for the giant plastic cover that slipped over the whole outside of the distributor. Toss them in the parts box and move on to the next project.

·
Vendor
2,637 Posts
Haven't used one of those in 40 years. Same goes for the giant plastic cover that slipped over the whole outside of the distributor. Toss them in the parts box and move on to the next project.
I always liked the plastic distributor covers. Not necessarily very functional, but they add a finishing touch to the engine compartment. ?
P1050419.JPG

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Humm That is pretty cool I like the idea

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,837 Posts
I guess the theory is that is keeps oil fumes from getting up into the cap and causing carbon tracks and such. Like Gordo, never used one in all the years I was racing. If you are maintaining your car regularly, you're changing the cap or wiping it clean on a regular basis.

·
Opeler
3,002 Posts
Per the 1973 Opel FSM, Ignition System, 1C – (page) 19 and 20:

In order to avoid voltage losses for easier starting, a plastic cover has been inserted in the distributor below the rotor as a separator to keep the inside of the distributor cup free from condensation.

There is also a plastic hood slipped over the distributor cap with an outlet for the ignition cables as an added protection against moisture from the outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the responses! It looked like the cap rested on it so I thought it would change how it fit with it removed. Into the parts bin it will go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts