Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Please remember I'm a newbie so bear with me. Have a 69 and a 70 GT. 69 runs but with slight hesitation. Am starting on the 70. This supposedly ran when I purchased it. The plug wires are trahsed on it. Noticed the wires from the distributor on the 69 run to different cylinders than the 70. Have three manuals and can't find any help except the cylinder firing order. Need to know what distributor point goes to what cylinder. Photo of a correct 70 setup would be mondo appreciated!!

Also, there was a box of new Belden plug wires in the beast. They are IRS core. Factory are solid core. Any thoughts on switching?

·
Super Moderator
13,583 Posts
The firing order is 1-3-4-2, and on the distributor this will be in a clockwise direction of rotation. Number one cylinder on the distributor can be found by removing the distributor cap, and looking for a small notch on the edge or rim of the distributor top. When the rotor is pointed at this notch, #1 should be ready to fire. I say *should*, because a fair number of Opels have had the distributor installed 180 degrees off, and the wires may be hooked up opposite (inverted). The car will still run this way however.

Bob

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You the Man

Thanks Ralleye. I figured it was something simple. Also, have you, (the Grand Poobah of Opel knowledge!!!) or anyone else canged from solid core (metal) to IRS (fabric) core plug wires? Any problems?

:D

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
look again

It is almost impossible to even find solid core wires for any car anymore. If the wires have been replaced in the last 10 years or so they are probably already suppression wires, and they work just fine. Your radio will thank you.

With my fire-truck having 24 spark plug wires, (one of them 6'8" long) it was simply too expensive to buy new wires, so I made them myself. With the few extra feet of solid core wire laying around off the roll, I made new wires for the Opel too, using 90 degree motorcycle spark plug ends with built in resistors. Kinda the best of both worlds? Magnetic suppression with the solid core wire? Who knows? They work great, and the hard plastic, waterproof motorcycle ends sure do look cool, or at least I think so. That old-style Packard 440 wire usually lasts 30 or 40 years too, so I don't plan on replacing them anytine soon.

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks OldOpeler. I also got a tip from my neighbor who was passing by. He is a retired mechanic for the city and gave the following advice as well.

Find the little spot where the timing mark comes up. Manually turn the flywheel and watch for the timing mark. When you see it, pull the cap and the rotor should be pointing at the number 1 cylinder. Then just follow the timing order.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts