Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting the disassembly of a GT distributor and have hit the wall on driving out the pin that holds the gear in place at the bottom of the shaft. I have tapped lightly on it with a drift; I have held the shaft in place with a vice and given it a sharp smack with a hammer and a drift; I have frozen it overnight with the chicken, the steaks and the ice cream; I have applied heat and I have applied significant amounts of profanity. Nothing seems to work.

Suggestions invited, and thank you.
MAS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I thought I read, or saw a post or maybe video by Rally Bob somewhere here about that,
I've been looking but can't find it so I'm assuming it's buried in a thread not of his somewhere
I did find this if it helps any post 36 I think

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
You can’t just drift out the pin holding the drive gear to the distributor shaft. The ends are peened over.

I typically grind one side down a bit then drift it out.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,258 Posts
FYI: Try to mark the orientation of the gear to the shaft so that you put it back on the same way. The hole for the pin can apparently be drilled a fraction off center and if you put it on rotated 180* opposite you can have difficulty getting the pin or new pin in properly.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can’t just drift out the pin holding the drive gear to the distributor shaft. The ends are peened over.

I typically grind one side down a bit then drift it out.
Thanks. I had seen that both ends were peened over and I actually ground both ends off, and it remains quite stubborn. I'm thinking in terms of drilling it out, hoping I don't wreck it, and replacing it with a roll pin.

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Thanks. I had seen that both ends were peened over and I actually ground both ends off, and it remains quite stubborn. I'm thinking in terms of drilling it out, hoping I don't wreck it, and replacing it with a roll pin.
The issue is that the holes are ever so slightly tapered at the ends, so the cross pin becomes ‘horn shaped’ (for lack of a better term) where it’s peened over.

Either you need to grind down far enough to uncover the straight part of the hole, or you must drill out the cross pin enough to release the tapered area.

The first one I ever did was a bugger!
Just a quick sketch, but this gives you an idea what I mean.
Rectangle Electricity Parallel Wood Overhead power line

1 - 7 of 7 Posts