Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,837 Posts
Thank you very much !!!! I am grateful for the help.

These ignition advance numbers are generally separated into:
- initial advance (idle, no vacuum)
- mechanical advance, either total 'all in' at x RPM, or a curve or set of advances @ RPM's
- maximum vacuum advance at so many inches of vacuum, or a similar curve or set of numbers
- vacuum connection type (ported or manifold)

That convention makes it all easy to move from one system to another and know what is going on.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Any Interest in other types?

Never seen aftermarket for Opel.

VW, Pinto, etc that are based on Bosch all have aftermarket versions available.

However, the housings are externally different (won’t fit the timing cover) and the main shafts are all stubby little suckers. So you’d have to gut the aftermarket and Opel dizzy’s, and swap the aftermarket guts to the Opel main shaft and housing.

It’s quite honestly far less work to mod the stock stuff.
FYI - I just installed a 123ignition in my Porsche 914 and can't believe how easy it is to set up and how much better the performance is. I chose the Bluetooth version that allows me to program my advance curves on my phone and load them into the distributor. During my test drive I noticed that my transition from idle wasn't peppy enough for me so I pulled over, added a touch more advance at 1200 rpm and took off again - wow, worked perfectly. The 123ignition is rather pricey - around $500 but in the case that I was dealing with (modified engine that needed a different curve than stock), it was fantastic. I'm so impressed, I'm considering upgrading some of my other cars with the system.

I contacted 123ignition about the lack of a system for Opel CIH engines and am awaiting a response. I don't think they will do anything without a large enough demand. If you are interested in spending the big bucks (insert standard Opel owners being cheap joke here), contact them (https://123ignitionusa.com/ ) and ask about them. I don't expect much but it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've already received a response from 123ignition and they have told me that if i send them a distributor, they would see if they can do the conversion. I don't know how much it will cost but soon Gene and John will be receiving PM's from me asking for a donor distributor. I'll keep you updated.

·
Opeler
984 Posts
I've already received a response from 123ignition and they have told me that if i send them a distributor, they would see if they can do the conversion. I don't know how much it will cost but soon Gene and John will be receiving PM's from me asking for a donor distributor. I'll keep you updated.
any word on this? I’m planning to contact them Monday. It would be nice to know if there’s been any info communicated yet.
Thanks

61 - 65 of 65 Posts