Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
'73 GT
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I come from the VW world, I've had at least one from each generation from mk1-mk7. I currently have two '80 Sciroccos in addition to my GT so I totally understand how this can be a devisive subject. On mk1 VWs 15s are about the max for a daily driver, 16s are really pushing it and 17s are very rare, but when a car pulls it off, it looks great. Aesthetically anyways, which is also subjective.

Anyway, to my point... Does anyone have pics of GTs with 17" wheels? I've thoroughly searched online and have only come up with about a half dozen pics of maybe 3 or 4 different cars. Please post any pics you have of GTs on 17s!

I'm thinking about fitting some C4 Sawblades to mine, partly because I have a set in perfect condition, partly because I haven't seen it done, and partly because I can. 馃榿 I mocked them up the other day in my cramped garage so the angles aren't the greatest, but I got a good enough impression of the fitment that, based on the other wheels I've had on the car, they'll clear well enough to drive. I ordered a pair of adapters to actually bolt them up and double check clearances and offsets before custom ordering the other pair or a full set depending.

Anyways, here's how they should look:

If they don't work out, I'll just sell the adapters to a VW owner. 馃槈 And yes, I'm going to remove the rub strips a PO added at some point.

Registered
'73 GT
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I love small wheels and meaty tires , but I also like stancy stuff too. I have some 15" Volk Racing mesh wheels like BBS RSs and a set of 3-piece 13" Revolution RFX for the car too, I just like to keep my options open. 馃榿

Registered
I've got 17x7 front and 17x9 rear.

Attachments

Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
When you reduce the amount of side wall that dramatically does that make the ride rougher? Nice collection of GT's in that garage.............................

Can Opeler
I personally think that 15s like mine are too big for a GT. Anything above 13s look a bit funny to me, but 15s are better performance. In the 23鈥 tire range.
But it鈥檚 all opinion on wheel sizes. I strongly suggest to do what you want. Wheels are easy to change if you change your mind too!

There is one Gt I鈥檝e seen pull it off. It鈥檚 a gold one that has airbags and is slammed with ~17鈥 wheels. It looks great. I don鈥檛 have any photos though.

Reactions: Commod氓ren

Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
Right now I have 16" rims on mine, but the GT came that way. I'm not a fan of the size or these rims. I would sell them if someone wanted them and was willing to pay the shipping costs too.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Registered
'73 GT
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But it鈥檚 all opinion on wheel sizes. I strongly suggest to do what you want. Wheels are easy to change if you change your mind too!
I have at least 10 sets of 4x100 wheels in the 13-15" range, I just want to add this to my options because, well, Sawblades, lol.

I have a bunch of stock and option VW mk1&2 wheels, a set of 14" & 15" 3-piece Watanabes, a set of 15" Panasports and these:
Volk Racing CCP Mesh 15x6.5/7.25

Revolution RFX 13x8.5

I just love wheels and options. 馃榿

Your Noble Friend ;-)
When you reduce the amount of side wall that dramatically does that make the ride rougher? Nice collection of GT's in that garage.............................
I was always afraid of driving the low height side walls, but it's not as bad as I thought. My own rule of thumb, as of my own experience (vs hearsay), if you have at least 90 mm of side wall height, you can easily use the tire as daily driver. My Calibra has 225/40/18 tires, which results in exactly these 90 mm. Drives like a dream!

Dieter

Before the car got its wrap:

Reactions: guyopel

Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
Only other thought I had was is there not a danger of the tire hitting the fender if you hit a good bump with the wheel turned or not even with the wheel turned. I like the look of some of them but prefer the classic look of the 13 inch size wheels and tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts