501 - 510 of 510 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,631 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
Similarly, my "Thread That Killed the Website": Gordo's GTX may soon disappear from the site because it is now a closed thread that can't be posted into. Here is the link to the first post:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/29364-gordos-gtx-47.html#post270025

And here is the link to one of the last posts:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/29364-gordos-gtx.html#post1190650

I don't know if just viewing them without posting in them will keep these threads alive. Please post in my DIY Dashboard thread and maybe throw some likes at posts in the Gordo's GTX thread to help keep these threads accessible on the site.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,631 Posts
Similarly, my "Thread That Killed the Website": Gordo's GTX may soon disappear from the site because it is now a closed thread that can't be posted into. Here is the link to the first post:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/29364-gordos-gtx-47.html#post270025

And here is the link to one of the last posts:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/29364-gordos-gtx.html#post1190650

I don't know if just viewing them without posting in them will keep these threads alive. Please post in my DIY Dashboard thread and maybe throw some likes at posts in the Gordo's GTX thread to help keep these threads accessible on the site.

Dont think they get deleted, only harder to find as they are buried.

One of the first posts from 15 years ago

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/fuel-tank-lines-filters-venting/3361-inside-ogt-gas-cap.html

·
Registered
2,529 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
That may be the case, but it took me 40 minutes to find my Gordo's GTX thread and 15 minutes to find the DIY Dashboard thread. I had deleted my stored links to them. When I search my "Started Threads" listing, 75% of the threads I started are now no longer visible. I've started a LOT of threads. Hundreds, maybe almost a thousand. Can't find'em anymore. Dozens and dozens of my Polls are no longer listed, too.

:sigh:

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Old thread, posts and Polls do NOT get deleted.

Check that your thread view settings are set to "show all threads", and not the Default or some age cut off.

Navigate to "Forum Actions" (near the top, under the main menu bar), then "General Settings". Scroll down to "Thread Display Options", and see what "Default Thread Age Cut Off:" is set to. Click to open the options, select "show all threads".

HTH

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
985 Posts
Hey Keith just curious about, "This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread." What is the purpose or reason for this why would older threads, which could still be of interest not receive a response. And why do some older threads have this disclaimer and some much older threads do not. Also in the above mentioned thread I could not follow the directions as listed as I could not find the series of actions as listed, that is:"
Navigate to "Forum Actions" (near the top, under the main menu bar), then "General Settings". Scroll down to "Thread Display Options", and see what "Default Thread Age Cut Off:" is set to. Click to open the options, select "show all threads". Could you review and tell me what I am doing incorrectly as again I cannot find the way to follow the directions listed above, beginning with finding Forum Actons and then general settings. Thanking you in advance for your help....Carl

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Hey Keith just curious about, "This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread." What is the purpose or reason for this why would older threads, which could still be of interest not receive a response. And why do some older threads have this disclaimer and some much older threads do not. Also in the above mentioned thread I could not follow the directions as listed as I could not find the series of actions as listed, that is:"
Navigate to "Forum Actions" (near the top, under the main menu bar), then "General Settings". Scroll down to "Thread Display Options", and see what "Default Thread Age Cut Off:" is set to. Click to open the options, select "show all threads". Could you review and tell me what I am doing incorrectly as again I cannot find the way to follow the directions listed above, beginning with finding Forum Actons and then general settings. Thanking you in advance for your help....Carl
When VerticalScope acquired OpelGT.com, and especially after they migrated the site to the current platform, a bunch of stuff changed. The instructions I provided related to the old Forum.

The warning about old threads actually popped up recently, apparently as part of an upgrade.

Ignore it.

It is always best to add to a thread than create a new one.

·
Über Genius
9,725 Posts
When VerticalScope acquired OpelGT.com, and especially after they migrated the site to the current platform, a bunch of stuff changed. The instructions I provided related to the old Forum.

The warning about old threads actually popped up recently, apparently as part of an upgrade.

Ignore it.

According to the rules of this site, It is always best to add to a thread than create a new one.
Fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is always best to add to a thread than create a new one.
I have always thought that this should be the case. There is usually information contained in a thread that might be of interest, or provide context, or contain posts from members who no longer post, etc.
I am also on a pickup truck forum where member are very aggressive in calling out/putting down members who revive threads. Never understood it.

501 - 510 of 510 Posts