Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't actually need the Kent Moore barrel spline sleeve holder handle. 1/4x1 flat bar stock and the snout off the torque tube driveshaft. If you have a can of plasti dip you can form the grip if necessary. OpelSpyder has documented this before on the forum and YouTube. Way stronger.
20210111_155909.jpg 20210222_153704.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I noticed your handle is offset similar to the KM tool. For those with the KM tool or making one there is a reason for them being offset. I've seen some of the KM tools stripped because the shallow side was used instead of the long side.

Nice job! If you stamped the PN in it, I think it could pass for a factory tool.

Harold

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
I'm thinking this should have DIY in the title. Otherwise someone will think it's in the wrong subforum.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Looks like a custom tool to me. All custom tools are DIY.
Looks like a Kent Moore tool to me, except better made.
I'm talking about the fact that we also have a Kent Moore J tools forum.
Didn't realize that, I'll have to check it out.
Edited title I hope is to everyone's liking? (y) Should make it easier to find for anyone looking for a pinion holding wrench.

Harold

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Looking closer at figure 4B-8, I don't think GM / Opel came out with a socket to replace this. I think the socket is on the nut, not the splines.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking closer at figure 4B-8, I don't think GM / Opel came out with a socket to replace this. I think the socket is on the nut, not the splines.
I puzzled over this figure 4B-8 for quite awhile because of the J-22932 caption. All that one could accomplish would be to rotate the assy. Doesn't do any good to hold the pinion from turning if you can't get to the nut. Disregard Post #2 in this thread and note the discrepancy in the FSM. If one of the moderators would be so kind as to edit Post #1 to reflect the use 1/4" x 1 1/2" bar stock, my error could be corrected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts