Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the GT for the annual MV inspection the other day (7 months late).

I drove it into the inspection bay as they would not know how to turn the lights, wipers, etc, on.

He walked around the back to look at the lights and as he was passing me, he asked for the horn. I hit the button and nothing... I looked at him and said "beep beep". He smiled and shook his head. It passed.

Fixed the horn the next day. it was a dirty contact in the horn button

A side note: I have put a whopping 600 miles on it in 4 years and 150 of that was in the RI Mini Melee 2 years ago!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Why so little driving?

·
Administrator
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why so little driving?
The GT is in the garage and I have to move the wagon or the Senator to get to it. So I usually just take one of those.
It is just about to turn 66,000 miles. It had around 32,000 on it when I bought it 43 years ago.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
The GT is in the garage and I have to move the wagon or the Senator to get to it. So I usually just take one of those.
It is just about to turn 66,000 miles. It had around 32,000 on it when I bought it 43 years ago.
My apologies I thought this was your demon wagon.

·
Opeler
759 Posts
I have a place in Houston that I take all my old vehicles (2-'70's and a '48). They know I won't bring anything that won't pass a safety inspection, so they just verify my insurance, and print out my inspection cert. Usually takes about 5 minutes to get out of there. Why would anyone want to drive a 50 or a 72 year old car that isn't safe?

·
Administrator
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MA "updated" their vehicle safety/emissions inspections. All inspections are now video recorded and pics of the odometer, VIN, and license plates are required. All the required checks are done as the inspector never knows if that one will be reviewed.

·
Opeler
876 Posts
The only time a vehicle get inspected in Indiana is if you buy it from out of state and an office just has to do a VIN check in-person. Nothing else needed on any year of vehicle.
My wife is from Texas and she always used to talk about how vehicles had to get inspected every year and I thought it was nuts. Her parents talked about how they’d strip their old cars bigger carbs/cams/performance stuff off before the inspection and then put them back on after they passed.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,618 Posts
And IN cars are crashing right and left due to safety issues, right? LOL VA used to require inspections every 6 months! Boy, that was a pain to get my 1st rally car inspected.

Story time: Had a work acquaintance in VA with a Kadett daily driver and I'd help him on it. Once he asked me to look at the ball joints and I was shocked to find one almost falling apart; it had almost 1/4" of play in it! He wanted it to fail state inspection so he could go back to a garage and complain for some reason. Well darned if it DID pass inspection like that! I sent him back to the inspection station, and he asked why it passed, and they told him it was acceptable! 2 days later, he went 1/2 mile from work for lunch and came out 20 minutes later and the right side of the car was collapsed on the ground. The bad ball joint had let loose just sitting still. I never looked at vehicle inspections the same after that....

·
Detritus Maximus
2,204 Posts
You have to keep an eye on those 'inspectors'...One time I had my Manta inspected in the late 90's (annual emissions and safety) by a regular gas station/service chain and it failed emissions. You know, the tail pipe sniffer. The only time that car ever failed. I probably still have every inspection report for that car showing it always met emissions standards for the 81 model year, even though it was a 74. They said they could try adjusting it and retest, but it would cost $50. If it still didn't pass I would get a waiver.
So, I said yes. They adjusted the carb, the car passed and I picked it up. Right off the bat I knew something was wrong. The cold idle was like 2k rpm. Once warm it dropped to 1500. Took it home and readjusted the carb, everything was fine.
Then I thought about it..the inspector was young, mid-20's, but I was only 5-7 years older. I don't think he had much experience with a carbed car and didn't let it warm up and come off the choke. And apparently none of the older mechanics told him, either. So, was it inexperience or a scam?

Same car had a lower ball joint shear off just a couple months after one of it's annual inspections. I was pulling up to a gas pump so I was moving no faster than a slow walk. 30 seconds before I was doing 80 on the highway. 10 seconds before I was doing over 50 up a very bumpy cloverleaf....

·
Vendor
2,572 Posts
Growing up in PA, we had to contend with annual safety inspections, and later, emissions testing. It was no small feat getting my junk boxes to pass-particularly since the body integrity inspection called for no rust-through larger than a quarter. I got very creative with bondo, in order to get some of the jalopies a sticker. :rolleyes:
I'm surprised that MA has an annual inspection for vintage vehicles. I think PA had an exemption for "antique" tagged cars, but it probably came with certain mileage restrictions (which most owners likely ignored)
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Detritus Maximus
2,204 Posts
I am now scared of ball joints. Thanks everyone.
Yeah...it gets worse. I'm not a fan of how some things are handled by bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. In Missouri, we never had (as far as I know) any kind of structural inspection. I remember, in the late 80's, seeing an old mid 60's Ford or GM full size with separate frame, not unibody, driving down the street at a weird angle. Not leaning, but more like 'crabbing', the rear was a full foot or so over from the front. I could see the frame had broken/rusted thru on one side right where the front and rear doors met and was bouncing up and down. I could see it, then it went up, then it popped back into view and disappeared again. Up and down...
It was legal..
It just seems like some people will not fix things UNTIL they break. I've always wondered how many accidents have occurred because of mechanical failure. You always hear that same thing, "Just lost control..."

I also used to wonder why trailer tires fail so much. I'm constantly seeing people on the side of the road or a trailer left behind with flat tires. Then I found out that there is such a thing as a 'trailer' tire. They have more plys in the sidewall for strength. But most trailers I see have bald junky old passenger car tires on them.

·
Administrator
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...I also used to wonder why trailer tires fail so much. I'm constantly seeing people on the side of the road or a trailer left behind with flat tires. Then I found out that there is such a thing as a 'trailer' tire. They have more plys in the sidewall for strength. But most trailers I see have bald junky old passenger car tires on them.
I had the tires on my old Tacoma replaced at a "chain store" (Town Faire Tire) and went with their recommendation.

25,000 miles later I replaced those tires and immediately noticed the truck was higher... I looked up the old tire ratings and found that they were 4 ply sidewall passenger car tires not the 10 ply truck tires! During that time, I towed my GT in an enclosed trailer from MA to NC and also towed fully loaded to Carlisle several times.

The same chain put regular ply tires on my friends 5th wheel camper and he had a blowout that damaged his camper.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm not a fan of how some things are handled by bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
Around here there's no inspections except for out of (this) Province, or salvage (writeoff) into repaired status. And some insurance companies want an inspection on 10+ year old vehicles when bought. No smog, no annual, no nothing.

And with that comes the responsibility of knowing no one is looking after you but you.

On the flip side, if you're going to have inspections (which to me is just funnelling money into car dealerships due to their lobbying, under the guise of "environmentalism" or "safety", it's really to increase the cost curve on used vehicles to remove them from the market)... then people are relying on that information and it better be accurate. If you know a vehicle has passed a brake inspection, and the brakes are worn to nothing, you may ignore a noise or two and trust that information when it's not safe.

Friend of mine bought a used Escape from a Ford dealership. All used vehicles have to pass their 205-point safety inspection or whatnot to be sold from their lot, so they claim. It was missing 2 seat belts. I'd like to see that paperwork, because if my dumb ass made so much as a 2 point safety inspection, point #1 is brakes, and point #2 is probably seatbelts. Stealership tried to claim it wasn't covered. Also offered a 6 month bumper-to-bumper warranty. Her glass cracked, on its own, no chip. Took it back, they said that wasn't covered. She pointed where they underlined bumper to bumper. Argue and argue and eventually they relent. It was a new windshield they had just installed, they just did it wrong. The one they eventually replaced they also did wrong, and cracked again a few days later.

I also used to wonder why trailer tires fail so much. I'm constantly seeing people on the side of the road or a trailer left behind with flat tires. Then I found out that there is such a thing as a 'trailer' tire. They have more plys in the sidewall for strength. But most trailers I see have bald junky old passenger car tires on them.
Before I left Phoenix, Doug let me buy the trailer he'd moved my GT on out from under him (for a practically gift price). He emphasized tires were 10+ years old and illegal (though not where I'm from). It's a fairly narrow dual-axel 16' car trailer. Longer than it needs to be for a GT, but barely wide enough, and not enough to open a door or clear a side rail.

I drove that trailer through a blizzard in the Grand Canyon, 1600 miles home.

A few weeks after I got back I hit a deer in my van. U-Haul would not rent me a trailer to tow it, because my large SUV wasn't rated to tow that much. I should've lied but, they also had almost no available trailers (summer is moving season). Fine, so I drove an hour to go pick up my trailer and load the van in. The minivan fit by maybe 1/2" on either side, and that's because it's rounder and the fat parts are up above the rails. It also banana'd the ramps, probably twice what it's rated for (so when unloading, put them on upside down to "straighten them back out"... i.e. make them S-shaped now).

My dad was helping, he grew up on a farm and regularly drove manure or hay trailers or pickups with the tires billowing wide sideways, just knew to keep it slow and no sudden movements so the tires don't surge, tear, or overheat. Figured he'd know best how to go. He drove the tow vehicle I drove the chase, we only had to make it 8-10 miles. We made it maybe 2 or 3 miles at 30mph on the highway before a tire exploded and then melted getting dragged.

This after not stopping at a weigh station a mile after I hit the deer, which all vehicles over 10,000kg are supposed to (and, SUV + trailer + Van was probably over that limit, and apparently over the tow limit of the vehicle).

Luckily Doug had an inflated spare tire on the trailer. When you think about it, if a vehicle has 4 tires, and the trailer has 4 tires, each trailer tire is supporting even more than each one from the towed vehicle. And after the blowout it was down to 1 tire on the one side. Lot of weight for one 10 year old tire. I'm lucky the second one didn't explode moments after the first when it took all the weight.

My dad inquired when I last checked the air pressure. I don't think I ever did. I kinda presumed Doug had when he went to pick up my GT across town originally.

They were uh, well, they were low. Funny thing about really stiff-walled trailer tires, they can be almost flat and you'd not even notice.

Limped it the next few miles at early hours of morning after the rushed tire change before one of the inspectors got bored and drove up to see what we were up to.

... in other news, found out while shopping for replacements that people often use light truck tires for trailer tires, but even those aren't as sturdy as proper trailer tires. I figured trailer tires were the cheapest of the cheap because they have neither power nor steering conditions on them. They do mention being rated for trailer duty only. But no, apparently turning with a trailer causes tremendous sidewall pressures, tries to rip the tire off the rim sideways. Especially car tires tend to go floppy sideways. I ended up giving the trailer to another local GT owner who'll let me borrow it when needed, and on right of first refusal to buy it back for whatever he puts into it. Keith also made some upgrades to it before he borrowed it, chopped up the deck to be low enough for GTs to swing open enough to squeeze out. Handy little thing, has 8 foot ramps.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,204 Posts
I remember seeing some guys pass me on the highway with a skidsteer bobcat on a light trailer, barely rated for car. I noted the wheels/tires had a noticeable angle to them.

Saw them again a couple miles down on the side of the road. The trailers rear axle beam broke.
Well, they got that far...

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
I built a light duty single axle trailer for my cousin. Registered it for 1500 lbs, but I had custom machined some spacers and used 2500 lb stub axles and bearings. My cousin never had an issue with it.

One day he loans it to his older brother, who used it to haul some gravel to his new house. He ended up bending the main center beam element pretty badly He began berating my “crappy little trailer”, but afterwards we found out he was hauling 4 tons of gravel with it.....I’m impressed it did as well as it did.

We ended up repairing the trailer and it’s still in use today, but it had to be explained to him that just because it fits, doesn’t mean you should haul it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts