Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,567 Posts
That's funny Bob. Reminds me of 3 years ago, my son and I were following a Jeep towing one of those tiny kit trailers in rural KY, and it had a PILE of gravel on it. The axle was bent almost to the ground LOL. Then the axle snapped at the right axle stub while we were following at a respectful distance. Somebody had a lot of shoveling to do that night.

My short 12' long-deck car trailer has two 5000 lb axles under it. It looks like junk, but it has hauled rally cars to Maine, Missouri, and a bunch of other places, and back. The axles are heavier than the deck can hold.

·
Registered
822 Posts
We were returning to Ohio years ago and my wife was driving along I-80. She was doing 75-80 and came upon a pickup towing an old two-axle trailer with a Bobcat on it. Just as she is passing the trailer, one of the tires explodes and it was full of water so this clay infused water sprays on the windshield cutting her vision completely. Her reaction was of course to slow down and I'm yelling at her to speed up and get past it before another one blows. We then caught up to the other vehicle in their caravan but couldn't get them to understand their travel mate just pulled over with a problem. We figure the trailer had been parked in the mud and the tire went flat letting in mud and water. They saw it was flat and added air.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,567 Posts
We were returning to Ohio years ago and my wife was driving along I-80. She was doing 75-80 and came upon a pickup towing an old two-axle trailer with a Bobcat on it. Just as she is passing the trailer, one of the tires explodes and it was full of water so this clay infused water sprays on the windshield cutting her vision completely. Her reaction was of course to slow down and I'm yelling at her to speed up and get past it before another one blows. We then caught up to the other vehicle in their caravan but couldn't get them to understand their travel mate just pulled over with a problem. We figure the trailer had been parked in the mud and the tire went flat letting in mud and water. They saw it was flat and added air.
Yeah that can be scary. We tow a ton long distance for work and always are on the lookout for sketchy situations like, that, Timbo.

We were towing to a rally in PA and my co-driver and his fiancee were passing a logging truck in his Acsona 200 yds ahead on I-80 when a logging trailer tire let go.... right into the side of their car. The sound to us 200 yds back was like a howitzer going off and they just dissappeared into the smoke and flying rubber. They were OK and the car miraculously untouched, but it took a couple of hours for their hearing to get back close to normal.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,181 Posts
My favorite goofy-ness lately was a while back I saw a guy in a pick up towing a trailer with another full-size pick-up truck on it. The truck on the trailer was secured using the big heavy duty semi flatbed ratchet straps. Those things are nearly indestructable. Unfortunately, they went over the hood and bed of the truck, which dipped and bowed on the trailer with the undulations in the road.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Back to the original post, NH has a once-a-year thorough mechanical inspection and relies on the "OBDII" diagnostic check for emissions.. It used to be every 6 months decades ago but that made sense with the quality of vehicles on the road then. I actually like having the system. I lived in Ohio with nothing other than the VIN check if you brought it in from out-of-state. There were always cars broken down on the side of the road, sometimes left for weeks. It was nothing to see cars with the belts sticking out of the tires. it was scary. You rarely see cars broken down around here. I try to keep the cars in top order and it is nice to have someone (one you can trust) look things over especially as I get older and with no lift don't get to look things over under the car. Unfortunately, too many people take advantage of the system to rip people off. Women are clearly at a disadvantage which is why I made sure both of my daughters and my wife know enough to smell a rat.

·
1000 Post Club
4,105 Posts
Growing up in PA, we had to contend with annual safety inspections, and later, emissions testing. It was no small feat getting my junk boxes to pass-particularly since the body integrity inspection called for no rust-through larger than a quarter. I got very creative with bondo, in order to get some of the jalopies a sticker. :rolleyes:
I'm surprised that MA has an annual inspection for vintage vehicles. I think PA had an exemption for "antique" tagged cars, but it probably came with certain mileage restrictions (which most owners likely ignored)
Cheers,
Ron in FL
In PA, if your car is 25+ yrs old, you can register it as an "Antique". Permanent registration and no inspections needed. No mileage restriction, but it is for recreational use only. You can't drive it to work everyday. Sometimes your insurance will give you a mileage restriction.

If your car is 15+ yrs old, you can register it as a "Classic" and get a Permanent registration, but you still have to pass an annual safety inspection.

Mine is registered as an antique as I may put 400 miles on it a year. Less if I don't go to Carlisle.

·
Vendor
2,556 Posts
In PA, if your car is 25+ yrs old, you can register it as an "Antique". Permanent registration and no inspections needed. No mileage restriction, but it is for recreational use only. You can't drive it to work everyday. Sometimes your insurance will give you a mileage restriction.

If your car is 15+ yrs old, you can register it as a "Classic" and get a Permanent registration, but you still have to pass an annual safety inspection.

Mine is registered as an antique as I may put 400 miles on it a year. Less if I don't go to Carlisle.
Thanks Jeff,
I didn't know about "classic" plates. Over the years, quite a few of my daily drivers would have met the age hurdle. I almost never bought a new car, and most of my used ones were more than a decade old when purchased. Seems strange that my 2001 Honda Accord could have qualified as "classic" :rolleyes:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
That's funny Bob. Reminds me of 3 years ago, my son and I were following a Jeep towing one of those tiny kit trailers in rural KY, and it had a PILE of gravel on it. The axle was bent almost to the ground LOL. Then the axle snapped at the right axle stub while we were following at a respectful distance. Somebody had a lot of shoveling to do that night.

My short 12' long-deck car trailer has two 5000 lb axles under it. It looks like junk, but it has hauled rally cars to Maine, Missouri, and a bunch of other places, and back. The axles are heavier than the deck can hold.
Guys, I'm sorry that I have to disagree with lots of what was said here. Overloading your car or trailer is not funny. It is dangerous and endangers your own life and the lives of others. Doing these "stunts" is not funny at all, it is unsafe, idiotic and reckless. Don't tell about it like you talk about some heroic stories from whichever war, and even more important, don't do it yourself!

Dieter

·
Detritus Maximus
2,181 Posts
Dieter,
I think you might have gotten the wrong impression. This is disbelief at the idiocy and negligence of others. Sometimes the curious part is that no one died. In my case, with the balljoint, I was unbelievably lucky in that I just decided on a whim to pull in and get gas.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,181 Posts
DOH!
Damn Teutonic taunting....
Now that I think about it, perhaps it was not the Ford Taunus, but the Ford Taunt US.....

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,051 Posts
Why does a German go into the basement?
So nobody hears him laughing.

The German President was once supposed to speak to an auditorium in London, and he arrived 15 minutes late. He started his speech "Sorry for being late, but the driver made a joke about the weather. Walking in here, I just had to run to the basement and laugh for 15 minutes."
The room was silent, you could hear a pin drop.
Then the president continued, "Haha, I'm just kidding! I only laughed for 10 minutes, but then I had a smoke!"

Damn Germans!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts