Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a set of used Miata seats for my GT. The 1990-19xx seats seem to have a slimmer profile than the post 2000 seats. Do all years of Miata seats fit?

Also, I'm going with black leather. Will have to recover the Miata seats. By the time that Miata seats are purchased and leather recovers done they are approaching the cost of earlier Porsche 911 seats. Has anyone put Porsche seats in their GT?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
I found this description on the web about buying replacement seats:

<<< The ideal dimensions for any Miata seat is a 19.5-inches base width and a 21-inches shoulder width. Perfect shoulder width depends on the height where the seat widens. You can usually get away with a maximum base length of 24 inches, a maximum base width of 22 inches, and a maximum shoulder width of 24 inches. >>>

This is the website it is from. There is assorted information about Miata seats from post-2000 that says they had comfort and quality issues.:

I have used 2 sets of Miata seats in my GTs, one black cloth set and a beige leather set(both 2000 or earlier). The leather was the best because you can move around on them, the cloth ones hold you in place like velcro and you have to lift yourself off the seat to reposition your family jewels and pull your jeans out of your butt crack. I've also used Fiero seats and test fitted seats from my Pontiac Solstice. The Solstice seats were racing style and were too tall and wide. In my not so humble opinion, racing seats with "wings" on the sides absolutely suck and make the already tight and confining GT's even more tight and confining. That's one thing that is really great about Miata seats: They actually give you MORE room in your car than oem seats. Plus they have excellent lumbar support, oem seats have no lumbar support. Speakers in the headrests are a useless gimmic that are only useful in a convertible. The seat material muffles the sound and they're too small to be worth a dang. I had Fiero seats with speakers and even replaced them with high quality speakers and they still sucked.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,879 Posts
This is my video about making Miata seat adapters. At about the 45 second mark I start showing them from behind and you can see how little room there is on the sides of the seats for any seat wider than the previously stated 19.5".:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good information Gordo, thanks! So the post-2000 seats fit but they are not as good as the earlier seats. Good to know, the earlier ones are cheaper anyway. Appreciate the info!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the MX-5 NA (89-97) and MX-5 NB (98-05) are the seat you are looking for.
Thank you! Looks like a pair of those and leather covers will fix me right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts