Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from anyone who has first or secondhand information on putting a chevy 4.3, 3.8. or 3.4 v6 in an Ascona/1900. Thanks

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I'm stuffing a 3.4L V-6/T-5 tranny in my GT. Some mods made to the driver's side footwell and wiper well, along with a severely shortened driveshaft and it fits. I do believe the Opel models other than the GT have much more room in the engine bay, so it is possible the 45 degree engines may fit too. The 60 degree 2.8/3.1/3.4 should fit easily. HTH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron,
Anyone else care to opine? Unfortunatley lack of access to the car at present prevents me from performing the necessary underhood tape measure foreplay.
John

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
in the works

I'm in the middle of installing a 4.3 V-6 into my Manta, and so far it is going well. The 60 degree series of motors, ie. 2.8, 3.1, snd 3.4L's, would all go in easily.

The biggest issues with both are the oil pan and finding a suitable radiator.

Were I to do a 2.8/3.4 install, here's the parts I would recommend for installation into a Manta/Ascona, given that I have 6 of those motors around and was planning on that swap into a Kadett for years:

-Suitable motor: I would recommend either one of the RWD ones with the cast iron heads, or a newer FWD 3.1 or 3.4, the one with the evenly spaced intake runners. The FWD ones have the throttle end of the manifold on the back of the motor, and only the newer ones can the top of the plenum be reversed to put it on the front of the motor. All the RWD ones will work, but the cast iron heads are heavier and they do not flow quite as well.

-Oil pan: 2 options here, both RWD. You want the oil pan and pickup from either a 4WD S-10, or an Isuzu Trooper (they used 2.8's until 89). They have a deep rear sump that is very short front to rear on the motor.

-Timing cover/water pump: I would recommend the one from an older FWD one, as the water pump sits beside the head and it is the shortest possible package giving you the most options for an electric cooling fan. You will need to fabricate an idler pulley to replace the power steering pump, and move the alternator to the driver's side where the AC compressor usually goes, but the brackets for that are very simple.

-Radiator/Fan: The best bang-for-the-buck option is the 17"x18" Griffen radiators Jegs and Summit sell for dragsters. They are a graet fit in a Manta, cost effective, and both are available with cooling fans already installed for less than $350. One company sells them with a radiator cap on the radiator and one sells it without, though, so double check when you get ready to order one.

For the 4.3 swap, here's the issues I'm fighting right now:

-Oil pan: Still need to use a 4WD S-10 one, but the newer aluminum ones have a different bolt pattern than the old steel ones.

-timing cover/water pump: The ideal location for my 4.3/200R4 swap is 3/4" forward of the Opel mounting position (referencing the point where the engine and tranny bolt together) to allow the OD tranny to fit properly in the tunel and use the origional driveshaft. With this engine location there is not enough room from the front of the block to the radiator for the origional "long style" Chevy water pump, which lines up with all the pulleys and such. A "short style" one will fit, but barely, and not leave much room for a fan. Another option might be a direct-drive water pump configuration, ala Sprint car or inboard marine motor, but unless you know someone who can find one used for cheap they are very expensive.

-Starter: Starter location on both v-6 motors is low on the block, along side the oil pan coming forward from the transmission. The 2.8 starter will clear the suspension crossmember in a Manta with only minor grinding/hammering, but the 4.3 starter is a no-go. One of the newer "high torque" or "mini" starters will work, but they hover in the $200 range.

Both motors will also need custom exhaust, wiring, plumbing, and the like, same as any motor swap. Luckily both motors seem to fit with stock exhaust manifolds, so any good muffler shop should be able to finish out the exhaust system without much hassle.

I'm planning on detailing my 4.3 swap when it's done for the Blitz, hopefully sometime mid-summer. You should be able to read all the pertinent details there if you're an OMC member.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts