Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I know that Gil has a list of what has to be changed going from AT to 4spd in a GT. Not sure if it is the same, but it could provide some guidance? It's in one of the "tech notes" (or whatever they call them). He does NOT have the same for 4 spd to AT (because no one - except me- has ever asked)!

Welcome aboard, fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride!

Doug

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice job! That engine looks and sounds great. Good luck with the trans swap. Don't forget that in addition to the trans, you will need a flywheel, clutch assembly, clutch pedal, clutch cable and linkage.
Thanks!
Yep, and there's also a structural extension piece on the firewall sort of above the brake booster that the automatic Mantas never had. I'll make sure I learn and have everything sorted and ready to go before I decide to convert.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What type of cam did you go with? That engine has fantastic throttle response! Good Work!
Thank you! It would never have turned out like this if I tried doing it on my own. All credit goes to Bell and Gaines :)
It's actually a stock hydraulic 4-bearing cam! (This one: Opel GT Source)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,048 Posts
The difference in the 1.9 GT linkage is that the shift tower is canted over. I believe Kadett/Series 50 (Manta, Ascona, 1900) are the same and vertical. GT motor is tilted to the side so the shift tower is tilted to compensate.
I forgot this when swapping my Manta motor/trans into my GT and the shifter was wedged against the hole in the tunnel. You don't realise it until AFTER everything is bolted up into the car and nearly last thing to do is install the shifter....

·
Opeler
2,886 Posts

Yep, as previously posted, the GT and Manta/Ascona bell-housings are different. The GT bell-housing is the blue one from a 1971, the black one is from a 1975 Ascona. I don't have a Kadett bell-housing handy, but I assume that the GT is the odd one out, what with the engine tilt.
Ascona vs GT Bellhousing.jpg

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,208 Posts
Mr. O’Brien, whereabouts in California are you? I’m in Sacramento, currently fixing my Opel GT. I have a spare 4-speed, it’s out of my GT. I may have a Manta shift mechanism though, I would have to check. It’s the 71-later style trans, 70-earlier were different and required a 90 degree speedometer adapter and different speedo than the later style.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mr. O’Brien, whereabouts in California are you? I’m in Sacramento, currently fixing my Opel GT. I have a spare 4-speed, it’s out of my GT. I may have a Manta shift mechanism though, I would have to check. It’s the 71-later style trans, 70-earlier were different and required a 90 degree speedometer adapter and different speedo than the later style.
I'm in Camarillo, about an hour south of Santa Barbara. I've been hearing that the GT 4-speed is slightly different than a Manta trans, as it's tilted to the side a little bit. The bell housing is a little different (mentioned by Lindsay), along with the shift linkage being on the opposite side. I've already got someone holding onto a complete 4-speed for me that I'll be keeping until I decide to swap the auto out :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update: My parents offered to pick up my engine for me. They drove to Sonora, CA to visit my grandparents for the weekend (15 minutes up the road from Opel GT Source :D) and they will pick it up from Bell and Gaines tomorrow morning on their way home! I'm very thankful for all they insist on helping me with since I'm so busy with work and school/school clubs at the moment.
The engine won't be going in until pretty much everything else is finished in the engine bay - heater box, windshield wiper motor (those were both PITA's to get out...), and other accessories. I got the filter, gasket, and seals from OGTS for the transmission and I'll also be doing all that before the engine goes in, obviously. Then we'll triple check suspension, brakes, get new tires (they're hardly used, but old and starting to crack), etc. and it'll be good to go!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The engine is home! :D

And here are our Opels! Although my brother's GT looks a little strange :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey, sweet Manta project! The engine sounds great. I'm pretty close to you, in Santa Barbara, with a '73 Manta that I built with my uncle when I was around your age (over 10 years ago... dang I'm an old man already). I'm currently contemplating some upgrades and whatnot. When you get yours up and running we should meet up! Feel free to drop me a PM.

Your car needs the Rallye stripes. I have them on my car, from back in the day when Dr-Manta shipped to the US. I've done measurements and was going to make vector files to be able to get new stripe sets cut out. Maybe this will motivate me to make that happen...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey, sweet Manta project! The engine sounds great. I'm pretty close to you, in Santa Barbara, with a '73 Manta that I built with my uncle when I was around your age (over 10 years ago... dang I'm an old man already). I'm currently contemplating some upgrades and whatnot. When you get yours up and running we should meet up! Feel free to drop me a PM.

Your car needs the Rallye stripes. I have them on my car, from back in the day when Dr-Manta shipped to the US. I've done measurements and was going to make vector files to be able to get new stripe sets cut out. Maybe this will motivate me to make that happen...
Thanks! Yeah, we can absolutely meet up once mine's driving again! Are you going to make it to the 50th Anniversary Manta road trip in April/May?
And I'd definitely be open to putting the Rallye side stripes on ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
When you get yours up and running we should meet up! Feel free to drop me a PM.
There are also a few others newer to this forum with Mantas that aren't too far away, like "manta mania" and "oemoilleaks." I've also been talking with Rick O'Donnell on Instagram (@od510) with a body swapped, LS3 swapped Manta (you may have heard of it - he races it at Willow Springs, he won the LA Hot Wheels Legends show, Hot Wheels brought it to SEMA, etc.) Maybe we could also have a small Manta meet someday :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, we can absolutely meet up once mine's driving again! Are you going to make it to the 50th Anniversary Manta road trip in April/May?
And I'd definitely be open to putting the Rallye side stripes on ;)
I haven't heard anything definitive about the Manta trip but would like to attend if I can! Guess I need to call Gil and see what's up.

Also I had no idea about the LS3 Manta, that sounds awesome. Guess I'm out of the loop, haha

21 - 36 of 36 Posts