Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i`m currently looking at the 2.4 cih engine swap from the opel omega and i can`t seem to find all the modifications that are needed to make this swap a succes. i recently found such a car and i`m trying to make a inventory of what has to be done.

i still have a lot of questions concerning this swap. it would be nice if everything came in one thread.

the questions are:

1) do I need a new gearbox (the getrag 5 speed box) or can i go with the omega`s gearbox?

2) what modifications will be needed on the exhaust system? some people say that you need the 2.0 litre exhaust manifold and that the Lambda probe has to be fitted in the first section of the exhaust. do you need te use the mufflers of the omega and make a custom exhaust with these parts? can you use the original end muffler from the 1.9 in this set up?

3) will the original oil pan from the 2.4 fit? or is the oil pan from the 2.0 litre engine needed.

4)will the original injection system fit under the hood? if not, what are the options besides going to carburettors

5) do you need a different exhaust manifold? i am told that you need the exhaust manifold from a 2 litre engine.

6) since there is FI on this motor youll probably need to make a retour line from the FI to the tank. how to do this safe?

7) do you need to shorten the prop axle after putting in the new setup?

can anyone explain step by step what modifications need te be done to make this swap a succes? this way i can decide to go thru with this and purchase the complete car or not.

thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
2.4 CIH swap . . .

What car/engine are you converting from? Front engine/rear drive . . . Kadett/Manta/Ascona/GT?

If you're swapping it to any other CIH engine/rear drive car, EVERYTHING is a bolt up using brackets/motor mounts/starter/manifolds from original CIH engine. The ONLY exception here is that the intake manifolds from the early 1.5/2.0 CIH engine will NOT work, as the 2.2/2.4 engines have a "raised intake port" head. The exhaust manifold is the same.

·
583 Posts
2.4L swap.

The depending on what car this goes into, you may also need to change the oil pan for the steel oil pan from the Opel Manta A. The intake manifold will need to come from the 2.2L fuel-injected engine. The 2.4L intake is much too tall to operate in a GT or a Manta.

A Getrag 240 will work with the 2.4L. The 4-speed is probably not strong enough to take the torque from the conversion. You will also need to use the 230mm clutch to handle the additional power.

Good luck.

·
Opeler
77 Posts
2.4 swap

Hello, i am in the middle of this swap myself. The only other modification i can think of is modification of the driveshaft, you will need the driveshaft from an automatic GT and have it modified in length. I have used the clutch from an 1984 Opel Rekord 2.2lt which is available in Europe. You will also need the appropiate benzine pump to supply the fuel injection system, i believe the omega pump is inside the tank but i asume it can be adapted and fitted underneathe the gt. I used a pump from 85' BMW 635 with the complete bracket which was easy to mount underneath the GT. The fuel lines should be replaced with metal lines for safety. If the omega you are looking at is an automatic you will have to dissassemble the wire harness and remove the excess wires that go to the automatic transmission module (Omega Wiring diagrams are very helpful). If the omega is standard 5 speed, the wire harness for the fuel injection/ignition is much easier. I would do some research about using the 5 speed omega gearbox in the GT, i know it is much heavier/larger than the Getrag but i do not know if it will fit in the GT. I am ready to install the engine/gearbox and it has been a learning experience for me as well. Good Luck.
Mauri

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok, i found out some things myself the past hours;

the engine will fit, the correct 5-sp. gearbox from getrag with modified shifter knob is also available. the drivesahft is also available and already modified to fit in the gt.

the oil pan needs to be from the 1900 engine provided that it has a m6 screw in it (can anybody explain what this means?)
the oil pan from a 2.4i also fits if it has a m8 screw in it...
the oil pan from a manta a is also an option.
I don`t think this will be a big problem to find.

the original line from the gas tank is going to be the retour line from the FI and there is another line with bigger diameter needed for the fuel line which feeds the FI.

I will be buying a complete opel omega with hand 5 gearbox so all the wiring and parts are there.

one of the things i still need to fix is the FI problem. it will not fit under the hood. an option is the 2.2 FI system but I think it is very hard to find!

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
2.4 oil pans

mrtzmd said:
the oil pan must be the steel pan so not to interfere with crossmember. Use only manifold from 2.2 but the rest from the omega FI. Mauri
Well, you COULD do this . . . you have to shorten both the bolt-on bottom of the sump/pan and the 2.4 oil pickup too! The cut-off part of the bolt-on sump bottom is shown in the second photo . . . ~50mm!

Attachments

·
Opeler
77 Posts
Nice

Great idea Otto, i was thinking of a way to use the Omega Oil pan but was not sure how. The Oil pan gasket is so much better than the one used for the steel pan, i will most likely have leakage with the steel pan despite a correct gasket installation. BTW, what is the second photo? a cut away piece of oil pan?
Mauri

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fitting the Frontera 2.4 oil pan

Hello guys. Im new here. I have a frontera 2.4 to fit in my opel ascona A. Does anyone ever done this with the Frontera oil pan??

Thank you

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,272 Posts
It isn't easy to weld used oil soaked aluminum. It is much simpler to use a 1.9 rear sump steel pan and the oil pick up tube from an aluminum GT pan. Just make the bolt holes larger. If you want more oil capacity you could add an oil cooler.

30 Posts
Just use the steel one its much easier than messing about with the frontera one and Opel GT Soure do a nice S10 clutch that will handle the 2.4 power.
you can see the steel pan on my 2.4 here and have a look around the blog and you will find some pics on the S10 fit. And i think you can get a nuice header from the guys at Opel gt Source.
You will also need a modified thermostat housing if your using the 2.4 head as its a different size to the 1.9 and 2.0L

Engine out | The Opel Project

Andy

30 Posts
Great idea Otto, i was thinking of a way to use the Omega Oil pan but was not sure how. The Oil pan gasket is so much better than the one used for the steel pan, i will most likely have leakage with the steel pan despite a correct gasket installation. BTW, what is the second photo? a cut away piece of oil pan?
Mauri
You can get a nice rubber gasket for both the sump and rocker that are spot on. Had mine up and running with both on the other day on the rolling road and not a drop of oil out of either and it always use to leak with the old gasket. i think Opel GT source do them.

I can take pics if you need them?

Andy

·
Registered
856 Posts
It isn't easy to weld used oil soaked aluminum. It is much simpler to use a 1.9 rear sump steel pan and the oil pick up tube from an aluminum GT pan. Just make the bolt holes larger. If you want more oil capacity you could add an oil cooler.
Living in Europe, it's probably easier to just acquire an Ascona/Manta B pan and pick up and swap dipstick holes. There is also an aluminium pan option from an Ascona B 20D, but they are somewhat rare nowadays.
But if you have still got the original Ascona pan, pickup and dipstick, use them.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Reactions: Commodåren

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Living in Europe, it's probably easier to just acquire an Ascona/Manta B pan and pick up and swap dipstick holes. There is also an aluminium pan option from an Ascona B 20D, but they are somewhat rare nowadays.
But if you have still got the original Ascona pan, pickup and dipstick, use them.
Has to be a steel pan, or the 20D one.. the standard early AL pan is too thick.. and you will hit with the crank.

Reactions: Commodåren
1 - 20 of 22 Posts