Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After some help from you guys (very much appreciated) it looks like I have identified the problem with the drivers window dropping towards the A post as I wind the window up near to its closing position. It looks like the metal holder that holds the glass which slides up and down the metal runner has lateral movement in it.
Is there any fix to that or is it a matter of replacing either or both of the holding bracket (slider) and /or the runner.
Thanks
Gary

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,903 Posts
The front window tract has 2 bolts at the bottom and can't really break loose and move front to rear, only side to side at those bolts. The rear window tract CAN very frequently break loose because it has a weak tack weld where the bottom of it attaches to the side of the door. This can be easily fixed with a rivet, or small screws/nut and bolt. Neither of those usually factor into the windows on GT's skewing forward as you wind the window up near to its closing position. ALL GT's have this wind up problem as the windows near the top of the window opening.

Most people go full nuclear and replace everything: The window track rubber and the chrome and clips that hold it in place, and the white nylon guides in the window lifter. An expensive and time consuming procedure.

I think that the problem is largely caused by the pulley being off-center at the top of the window slider bar. I discovered this when I came up with my electric window mod. As the window approaches the top, the cable starts to pull sideways, instead of vertically, at the window, pulling it forward instead of upwards. The pulley is mounted about 1/2" too far forward. On my electric window mod I replace the pulley with a smaller diameter pulley with a sealed bearing in it and move it's position rearwards to keep the cable vertical the whole time. Now, I have never tried to ONLY move the pulley rearwards without going nuclear and replacing everything and keeping the window crank. As I recall, that pulley is a little too large and the window lifter hits it. It may be possible to simply drill a new hole or cut a slot in the new position so that the cable tension can still be adjusted and keep the oem pulley, I don't know. I have also never installed the Honda electric window mechanisms without also replacing all the rubber and white guides. It may be possible to just move the pulley location and maybe also replace it with a smaller sealed bearing pulley, but I don't know if anyone has tried JUST doing that. YOU could be the first.

The electric window mod is actually cheaper than replacing all the rubber and guides, but I don't know of anyone who has done that mod and not also replaced the guides and rubber. Once again, YOU could be the first.

Here's the electric window install video I made:

21 - 22 of 22 Posts