Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed that my door handles, which are still functional are starting to look old and worn as compared to most of the exterior of the car, actually they have looked old and worn for a long time, I just noticed as the rest of the car is starting to exceed them in appearance. The door handles and the rear view mirror, which are all original all need to be replaced or re-chromed. I was at a friends house up the street the other day and he is building, from scratch, a 1953 Chevy Truck and started with ordering a brand new frame. So the only original part of the truck is the cab and doors everything else will be new and the truck, with the exception of the body will be modern in every way. Anyway I noticed how nice his new door handles looked so I'm think why not. Question, has anyone purchase the door handles from OGTS and how do those compare to the original handles, quality and appearance. And what about comparing those to having the original door handles re-chromed by a shop that does really good work. The question is two fold, quality and price. I want good quality something that will looked as good as new. I understand that the place in Tennessee, mentioned by Gordon, does really good work. So new reproductions or re-chromed by someone that knows what they are doing. What are your thoughts - Thanking you in advance for your response, Carl

·
Opel Key Master
5,288 Posts
The new ones from GTS are aluminum, and nice quality, but you will need to grind out the slide areas a little bit to allow the buttons to slide easily. Rechromed ones you sometimes have to do the same. They get build up inside of them and it needs to be cleaned out.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Having had a lot of experience with chroming and chromed aluminum, I'm dubious that chromed aluminum or rechromed ones would last very long. I would NOT trust areas that you have to file to remove excess chrome build up, you'll break the "seal" of the chrome and allow corrosion to get in under the chrome and push it off. This is just an FYI based on my experience with chrome.

Try to find someone who has been storing some doors indoors for a long time, they will often have very servicable oem chromed handles The recent sets of doors I acquired for my Banana car project came with excellent door handles.

·
Opel Key Master
5,288 Posts
Gordo, I’m not talking about anything where you would damage the chrome, what I’m talking about is this area of the door handle. These were done by S&H Chrome. I have used them for years, and put Gordo onto them. Doesn’t matter the plating company, things like studs and threads will get either a build up of material (copper/nickel/chrome). Or the acids they use eat it up. But inside is always going to need cleaned out

You might even have to replace the stud on the handle. The new ones look the part, I’m not sure that they are chromed or just high polished aluminum. The inside slots on the top and bottom just have to be ground out, as they are round cut and not squared off like originals. Not a huge deal btw. Costs are more for rechromed handles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently noticed that my door handles, which are still functional are starting to look old and worn as compared to most of the exterior of the car, actually they have looked old and worn for a long time, I just noticed as the rest of the car is starting to exceed them in appearance. The door handles and the rear view mirror, which are all original all need to be replaced or re-chromed. I was at a friends house up the street the other day and he is building, from scratch, a 1953 Chevy Truck and started with ordering a brand new frame. So the only original part of the truck is the cab and doors everything else will be new and the truck, with the exception of the body will be modern in every way. Anyway I noticed how nice his new door handles looked so I'm think why not. Question, has anyone purchase the door handles from OGTS and how do those compare to the original handles, quality and appearance. And what about comparing those to having the original door handles re-chromed by a shop that does really good work. The question is two fold, quality and price. I want good quality something that will looked as good as new. I understand that the place in Tennessee, mentioned by Gordon, does really good work. So new reproductions or re-chromed by someone that knows what they are doing. What are your thoughts - Thanking you in advance for your response, Carl

View attachment 436051

View attachment 436052

View attachment 436053
Shave them, it really cleans up the side of the car. Use an ice cube relay,a push button in remote location. Research door poppers I did mine back in 82,using chevy starter solenoid mounted in the door panel. Technology has obviously changed in the last 40 years!!!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I have shaved door handles on my GT and absolutely hate them. With your keys in your pocket you can accidentally push the Open button on your remote and your door will pop open while you're in a bar or restaurant. Keep sitting on the button and it will cause the door popper solenoid's fuse to blow and now your remote and whatever hidden emergency entry push button you installed is now useless. I've had to use my 3rd option, a purely mechanical pull cable fished through the door opening to somewhere outside the car, at least 5-6 times. That's a whole lotta krap to put up with just to have doors with no handles.

·
Opel Key Master
5,288 Posts
I agree, a daily car, or one you are going to drive quite frequently, the shaved handles become a problem. But even if you let the car sit, it becomes a problem, battery dies, so you need a way to open at least the hood to get to the battery. Once you jump the battery, the poppers are supposed to activate. And the electronics are just unreliable

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will stick with good old 1970's technology.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts