Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had seen OGTS offered new retainer clips that secure the door panel to the doors but I only see they offer the round grommets that the retainers pop into. Anyone know a source for new clips? The old ones are bent some and pop right out when pressed into the grommet. I will try to bend them "open" a little bit if I can't find new ones and hope they won't pop right out..

·
Opel Key Master
5,277 Posts
They have the same clips Slendid offers, but honestly, I like the originals better, as they seem to pop in and hold a lot better, but it is a something better than nothing deal.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
If I remember right, I got some from an online upholstery outlet. I will have to search to find out the address. I think they were called "European Door Panel Clips". There were about four different kinds. You might try Google and put in Upholstery supply company, I am sure they will have a good replacement for the originals. Probably cheaper, and you will get them a lot sooner.

Bob

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
I thought I had seen OGTS offered new retainer clips that secure the door panel to the doors but I only see they offer the round grommets that the retainers pop into. Anyone know a source for new clips? The old ones are bent some and pop right out when pressed into the grommet. I will try to bend them "open" a little bit if I can't find new ones and hope they won't pop right out..
https://www.opelgtsource.com/store/1000/1045.html
Part:1045 $10.00 (Set of 10)
Reproduction door panels clips for all your interior upholstery panels, such as door, kick and quarter panels.

https://www.opelgtsource.com/store/1000/1041.html
Part:1041 $9.00 (Set of 10)
These grommets help to secure the door panel clips into the door sheet metal, as well as seal out moisture and the plastic moisture-barrier sheet. One set required per GT door.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
https://www.opelgtsource.com/store/1000/1045.html
Part:1045 $10.00 (Set of 10)
Reproduction door panels clips for all your interior upholstery panels, such as door, kick and quarter panels.

https://www.opelgtsource.com/store/1000/1041.html
Part:1041 $9.00 (Set of 10)
These grommets help to secure the door panel clips into the door sheet metal, as well as seal out moisture and the plastic moisture-barrier sheet. One set required per GT door.
I would see if you can find some nice used original Opel door panel clips, as they are the best the aftermarket clips don't snap into the plastic and hold very long... if you have no choice . What I did was add some Velcro to the back of each panel along the edges. Use the black wide heavy duty type. It does the job nicely and no harm done. JMHO Good Luck with your project Replacement clips don't do the trick.. bend easy as there not harden steel.. I like the moisture barrier idea .
I purchased a roll of heavy mill plastic and spray tack from local home center..did the trick

They have the same clips Slendid offers, but honestly, I like the originals better, as they seem to pop in and hold a lot better, but it is a something better than nothing deal.
I definitely agree :yup: maybe add some Velcro too

Use the Opel clips or find used ones I could definitely use some spares too.. If you find a source

Reactions: Lindsay and Gordy

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
700 Posts
I have switched over to Velcro and it works really well - no more trying to line up the holes with the clips - once you put the two chrome screws in near the top of the door panel, properly placed Velcro really works well. I have also used Velcro to hold down the wooden floor platform cover behind the back seats - which like a lot of people I use that area for storage of potential emergency parts, tools, etc. Also used Velcro to hold the vertical panel below the wooden spare tire holder area in place and that two works well - easy access no screw driver required.

·
GT Owner
394 Posts
I have switched over to Velcro and it works really well - no more trying to line up the holes with the clips - once you put the two chrome screws in near the top of the door panel, properly placed Velcro really works well. I have also used Velcro to hold down the wooden floor platform cover behind the back seats - which like a lot of people I use that area for storage of potential emergency parts, tools, etc. Also used Velcro to hold the vertical panel below the wooden spare tire holder area in place and that two works well - easy access no screw driver required.
Would you post a picture of the screw locations? I’ve apparently missed putting those in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts