Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
First thing is to remove the door handle. There is a c-clip behind the handle that needs to come off before the handle can pop off. You can go to the autostore and pick up a tool to do this or use a small flat blade screw driver to pop it (the clip) off. (It does pop off so be careful to find it :p ) Next remove the arm rest, it is held in place by 2 screws from underneath. Once those items are gone the rest of the door panel is held on by clips. Begin by pulling on one of the lower corners to pop the clip out and then work your way around the panel. When you get to the top it justs lifts off the door. Installing is just the opposite of removal.
BTW: welcome to the club!!:)

·
179 Posts
Is this the same process you use for the GT? A c-clip on the door handle, two screws in the armrest, and what about the window regulator?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Husker the window crank handle has the "C" clip also. You have to remove the plastic insert around the inside door handle to remove the panel, and I think there are screws under it that need to be removed. HTH.

Ron

·
179 Posts
Here's the scoop for the door handle...
1. Remove plastic insert in the door handle by inserting a screwdriver and popping it out.
2. Undo phillips head screw.

Attachments

·
179 Posts
Thanks Kieth, and others offering help... I was just returning the favor that has been provided to me in the past... I really enjoy the tech info and banter on this site... Just trying to add my $0.02 when I can.

Turning the topic slightly... has anyone considered replacing the original GT door panel with a fiberglass or ABS one? I have a GT with shot interior door panels (don't we all) and was just pondering possibilities.

I met with two upholstery shops today - to take the existing metal top, rivit it to a sheet of 3/16 ABS, drill/cut appropriate holes, and cover in vinyl similar to original would be $350 per set.

I am meeting with another guy later this month to discuss recreating the whole doop panel in ABS. I don't have any prices on that route yet... just wanted to see if others have gone this route.

I have read where others recovered their own panels and that is an option too...

Any interest in the idea?

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I made a experimental for my 71 using the 1/8" peg-board stuff (minus the holes). Then used a varnish on it to seal it up. Never did install it, though. Decided to strip the 71 down to bare metal. A interior friend of mine said to check out the different padding styles cause once you get it down to that point, you can do it any which way. I even picked up a sewing machine for $10 bucks to do it with. HEY! guys can sew when it's REALLY important!
:D

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Husker
Look in the phone book for Dr. Vinyl, They are down in motor city and do great work. They have done 2 dashes and other assorted work for me at great prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.