Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you safely remove the three piece exterior chrome trim from around the door windows ? I've been studying my parts car, but I'm still not sure. The top piece and vertical piece seem attached to the window track felt/rubber, but how to remove the rivet ? And what size is the rivet when replacing ? The horizontal piece that holds the outer window scraper is difficult. How to remove it without breaking off the small tabs at each end ? Also, I would like just to get three new chrome pieces; know of any sources ? Or if I must re-chrome these pieces, once successfully removed, any suggestions on a re-chrome shop ?

Finally, what is the best sequence of re-assembly of all the trim and seals: first, door handle and mirror; then window track felt; then three piece chrome, with outer window scraper; then install window, lifter and cable winder, bolt in place; then inner window scraper on top horizontal bracket; then bolt window lifter at top and bottom ?

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
drill the rivet and replace with tiny rivet or small screw

horizontal piece is a real mammajamma. you can buy all new from splendid parts.

I had mine rechromed but cost $300.

it is alot of being careful and no forcing.

·
Opel Addicts
2,470 Posts
Bottom Trim Removal

I am in the final stages of finishing the block sanding on Olessija and want to remove the bottom window trim from the door and replace the rubber scraper. I forgot how to remove this part without damaging the trim. Can someone give me some directions as to how to accomplish this?

I know I'm opening myself up to all of the "wise - crackers" (you know who you are!), but it's looking like I may actually get this car back on the road this year!

BTW - these parts were never chromed originally. They were "bright anodized". So, after you have them straightened and polished, look for a local anodizing shop and see if they do this. You will be much happier than trying to find a chrome shop that can do a good plating job on aluminum. :D

Allen & Vickie Gage :cool:

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
I am in the final stages of finishing the block sanding on Olessija and want to remove the bottom window trim from the door and replace the rubber scraper. I forgot how to remove this part without damaging the trim. Can someone give me some directions as to how to accomplish this?

I know I'm opening myself up to all of the "wise - crackers" (you know who you are!), but it's looking like I may actually get this car back on the road this year!

BTW - these parts were never chromed originally. They were "bright anodized". So, after you have them straightened and polished, look for a local anodizing shop and see if they do this. You will be much happier than trying to find a chrome shop that can do a good plating job on aluminum. :D

This is a very delicate job. You have to use a block of wood and gently tap the edge of the trim working your way along the whole thing and eventually it will pop off. If I remember correctly when you get to the end of the process you have to tap one of the ends off (I don't remember which end) in order to have it not get wedged into the window opening. If you have a junk door use that to experiment on before you do the real deal.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
What Jeff says worked for me but consider that those strips have probably never been off before and "gently" has a new level. Start easy and gradually increase how "ungently" you go. Don't try to break it loose in one place and then work along the length, start working along the length and increasing force small amounts at a time. They took more than 40 years to get that way, take your time getting them off! When it starts moving, it goes pretty easily, but the start can be frightening. HTH

Doug

·
Opeler
253 Posts
I removed my door chrome last year to replace the window scraper rubber.
This is the thread that I read before starting.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-seats-windows-interior-trim/22848-gt-door-window-trim-removal.html

I do believe I removed the the door glass to safely take out the chrome. The new rubber is supposed to slide in but mine wouldn't co operate. It would go so far and jam. Not wanting to tear the rubber I soaped it up and got one side in place and pried the other side in with a dull small screw driver along with some pushing help from my thumbs.

·
Senior Contributor
5,045 Posts
I removed my door chrome last year to replace the window scraper rubber.
This is the thread that I read before starting.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/2b-seats-windows-interior-trim/22848-gt-door-window-trim-removal.html

I do believe I removed the the door glass to safely take out the chrome. The new rubber is supposed to slide in but mine wouldn't co operate. It would go so far and jam. Not wanting to tear the rubber I soaped it up and got one side in place and pried the other side in with a dull small screw driver along with some pushing help from my thumbs.
Yes you have to remove the door glass in order to remove the trim.

·
Opel Addicts
2,470 Posts
Thanks!

It has been so long since I removed these to paint Octavia that I had forgotten how this is done. Thanks for the link to the other post, as well. It will really help when I get back to it after vacation.

Just trying to get ready for the season with as much as I can!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts