Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

It is indeed an old post, but many GT's have problems with this blinker thing.
These two images deal with the problem.

The first is the original wiring
The second is how the problem is solved.

It worked out fine in my GT

greets
Geert

·
tomking
2,489 Posts
my turn signals work fine, until my headlights are on. Then the turn signals dont work. The indicator lights, both, come on and stay on. Do you think it is more of the dreaded ground connections? Or something else? Thanks.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
my turn signals work fine, until my headlights are on. Then the turn signals dont work. The indicator lights, both, come on and stay on. Do you think it is more of the dreaded ground connections? Or something else? Thanks.
Ron should chime in any second. Over all loss of voltage with lights on enough to prevent proper function of flasher? Caused by weak grounds/dirty connections? My double flash would kick in after two or three normal blinks at city speeds but would often go 5-10 normal blinks when going faster, I thought because the alternator was cranking more juice around. I did the mod last night but won't button it all back together for a while as it's cold here again. I cut the black/yellow wire about 2 inches before the flasher socket (leaving enough to reconnect if need be) then re-routed the wire up to the speedo ground tabs where the one that connects to the steering column bolt has an extra male spade on it. Also got to play with the screw that runs through the socket into the bracket, whole socket was loose as the screw wasn't grabbing the bracket anymore, replaced screw. I also took the opportunity to straighten out the bracket it was bent up a bit.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Tom,
The Hi/Lo switch for the lights is in the stalk also and could be the culprit if there is something broken in there, although the wire that runs to it gets grounded in order to operate the Hi/Lo relay. When the lights are on check both hi and lo beam and see if that makes any difference. Somehow you are bleeding power back to the blinker circuit, I doubt it is a ground problem.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
This problem indicates not enuff power (amps) to the flasher.. If you're running the stock alternator, then, with all the lights on, there's not enuff amps to get the flasher to work properly. Try revving the engine up a bit to see if the problem goes away or the turn signal lites operate slowly. It may be time for the alternator upgrade.

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
I am still using the original 4 prong Blinkgeber from Germany. Is there a cross reference that I can get to replace my original?? Anyone know where i can get a replacement?

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Destec Wink B4 Blink

Did some searching but I can't find an answer to this one. I want to disable the wink B4 blink option on my Destec LED Blinker units. I have not pulled one out yet to look at it, but does anyone have the answer?

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Did some searching but I can't find an answer to this one. I want to disable the wink B4 blink option on my Destec LED Blinker units. I have not pulled one out yet to look at it, but does anyone have the answer?
Jeff; I would think you would have to contact Destec. I recall you could order them either way (mine don't wink).

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Jeff; I would think you would have to contact Destec. I recall you could order them either way (mine don't wink).
I did and JJ got back to me with a note that said he would have to dig out his drawings and let me know. He thinks there is a jumper that I can put in to disable it. I am sure there is because there is a post about the units at Carlisle for sale with his test rig set up and that there was a switch to change from wink to no wink for demonstration purposes, so it must be easy. I could probably figure it out if I took one of the units out of my car.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Jeff;

If you need me to photograph the front and back of one of mine and you can compare yours, let me know. It is no problem snapping a few pictures. Or we can meet up in Carlisle and compare.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Jeff;

If you need me to photograph the front and back of one of mine and you can compare yours, let me know. It is no problem snapping a few pictures. Or we can meet up in Carlisle and compare.
Thanks Jeff, I'm hoping JJ will have the answer, but if not I might take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out just by looking at my circuit board.

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
LED Tail lights Group Buy from 2003

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1c-lighting-signal-systems/1755-l-e-d-tail-lights-group-buy-4.html
Posts 78, 79, & 80 shows DESTEC's original flyer's on the LED lights:

LED Rev B skinny
Rev B1 (wink-b4-blink)
Rev B boards will have a load resistor incorporated into the layout. I sent Gary a print of Rev B, hope he can post it. I still like the flasher-eTip and will include that drawing with a sale (Posts 78, 79, & 80).
On the wink-before-blink feature. It is an added-cost feature.
It will turn on the LED assembly 50 ms (1/20 second, then go off 1/20 second) then come ON. It happens in .1 seconds.

In 2003, I did not have the cash available for the group buy, but later on purchased a set of (4) Rev B1 LED lights from (retired) Major Woodman in Arizona.

Note: Attachment shows location of Rev B1 components.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,103 Posts
wink b4 blink

Do you think that the "wink b4 blink" is contributing to the double flash issue? I think that it is a good safety feature on the GT.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
Do you think that the "wink b4 blink" is contributing to the double flash issue? I think that it is a good safety feature on the GT.
No, it has nothing to do with the double flash, I just used this thread instead of starting a new one. On the brake lights it is OK but on the blinkers it just makes it look like there is an extra fast flash at the beginning and I don't like it too much. It was not noticeable until I put the new flasher in last night.

·
Senior Contributor
5,052 Posts
OK I figured it out by examining the circuit board. There is a jumper location marked J5 which is not installed. If you install jumper J5 the wink before blink option is disabled :veryhappy.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Just for clarification, once you connect the yellow/black wire from the turn signal indicator lights to ground, you have to switch the indicator lights in their sockets from right to left, and left to right??? I only see it mentioned once, and mine definitely reverse when that wire is direct grounded. Makes no sense to me why it would do that, but is that the final step in the procedure, as posted in the attachment of post #24?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts