Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that everyone here is extremely helpful, and I am in pursuit of a little trouble that I am seeing with my brakes on my 73 GT (I have now had it for one week, and have driven the car everywhere except to and from work... that's what the blown Buick is for)

So a little history on the car, I know that it has a bad ground somewhere in the charging system. I am aslo 85% sure that there remains a vacuum leak (even though I have already fixed a few of the obvious ones).

Now here is the problem with the brakes, when coming to a stop, apply pressure to the pedal, a little more travel than expected, but the brakes are there. If I double pump the brakes, the pedal gets much firmer, and has a great deal more stopping power. The fluid level is good and does not seem to be dropping. I don't know when the rear shoes were replaced but there is very little wear in comparison to the fronts. (remember I have had the car for a week and do not know the PO's history)

I am half expecting everyone to blast me and tell me to straighten out the vacuum leaks first and the charging system has nothing to do with it, but I wanted to put this out to everyone here to see if there was something that I am missing.

Also if anyone is interested/you can tell me where to post it, I will tell the story of how I came to be an opeler.

·
Administrator
10,291 Posts
Pull up on the emergency brake and see if the pedal travel improves. If it does try adjusting the rear brakes. Next step would be to check the front brake pads.

Welcome aboard. I'm not far from you. (Halfway between Fall River and Providence) Did you buy the GT from the Hyannis area which, according to a friend, showed up at the Bourne High School Cruise Night every *Other* time I brought my '69 there?

You can post your story in the Introductions or GT Forums.

Gary

·
315 Posts
Other than Gary's suggestion about rear brake adjustment, having to double pump the brakes usually means that the brakes need to be bleed... there's air in the system. While you're at it check out all the rubber hoses. It is likely that they are 30 years old.

Also, go to www.tgsi.com and click into the tech topics and read "Give Me a Brake".

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would seem as you guys (TGSI, Gary and also RallyBob) are the staples here, I will have to be sure and stay on your good side.

I have used the e-brake frequently, and have not seen an improvement. I will definitely be bleeding the brakes and inspecting the lines.

I have read "Give me a Brake" and while I did find it very informative, I also find myself only able to buy parts as I can afford them. My ultimate goal would be 12" cross drilled 4 wheel discs, with dual piston calipers and carbon pads, but I think I would rather have paint that isn't cracked... and wheels that are round.

Gary, I bought the GT from Hopkinton (where the Marathon starts), it was the black 73 GT that was posted to this site. I am in Falmouth, and I have frequented the Tuesday nights at the Cape Voc. Tech with my dad's '65 Buick Wildcat. When is the Bourne High School nights? Did you make it to the Father's Day show on Main Street Hyannis? There were 360 registered cars (including the Wildcat), and at least another 100 cars that had to park in adjacent areas... and not a single Opel... I will make sure that doesn't happen again.

·
Administrator
10,291 Posts
madhatterpdc said:
Gary, I bought the GT from Hopkinton (where the Marathon starts), it was the black 73 GT that was posted to this site. I am in Falmouth, and I have frequented the Tuesday nights at the Cape Voc. Tech with my dad's '65 Buick Wildcat. When is the Bourne High School nights? Did you make it to the Father's Day show on Main Street Hyannis? There were 360 registered cars (including the Wildcat), and at least another 100 cars that had to park in adjacent areas... and not a single Opel... I will make sure that doesn't happen again.
That's right, I remember now. I didn't recognize your username. It was the Cruise at the Voke tech. (on the canal) that I was talking about. (Thought it was the H.S.) I brought my Red 'GT GT there a couple of times. Well there is supposed to be another GT in captivity in the Hyannis area. We (The NEOC) have our "Opels on the Lawn" event in Boston on Fathers Day. Pics are in the gallery.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I try not to miss a night at the Canal on Tuesdays. My Opel won't be making to that cruise very often due to logistics, but my father makes it to 99%. The Wildcat is a white coupe with a black vinyl hardtop. Hope to see you there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts