Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just bought a GT..guy says its been in storage for 18 years...so I'm going to change all fluids. Whats the easiest way to drain the gas tank??

Thanks.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i would check the whole tank myself for rust, the easiest way if it is not rusted is to drian thru the outlet on the back of the tank and drian it into anthor clean container to see how much if any junk comes out and also anther thing would to see if the fuel sock is still in there and remove that while u have the fitting off.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
On the drivers side behind the rear wheel and centered a bit is the metal line that comes out of the tank. It will go to plastic line pretty quick, unhook it there and you will drain the tank. The color of the gas or whatever comes out is an indication of if you have rust in it or not. To really inspect the tank would be through the hole for the sending unit. That is under your spare tire shelf and less fun to get to, not hard just less fun. I swapped my tank this weekend and it is amazing how hot that little area is.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i noticed that when i ran my gt with a little 2 gallon motorcycle tank back there the exhaust really heats up the back of thee gt in the spot were it goes up above the axle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Are you guys talking about the same fitting then? Does it not need the sock in it? Is it easy to see if its there, and remove?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't have the car yet..so I'm just trying to imagine.....

Thanks

·
2,054 Posts
Our GT was an abandoned vehicle sitting for 13 years that I know of, perhaps longer.

We just added good gas to the existing, added two additional filters so we didn't screw the pump up, and ran the engine. As we burned fuel, we kept adding fresh gas until the old was diluted. Ran horrible for a tank or so, of course, but figured this was the safest and best ecological way to dispose of old gas. Otherwise, there seems to be no legal or responsible way of getting rid of it.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well luckily my tank had almsot no gas in it but whenever i have extra gas i need to get rid of just flush it down the the sewer it gets diluted with enough water that it doesnt hurt anything. and about the sock i forget but somewhere on the site there is a picture of how to remove it, with my tank the gas sat so long it turned into a sludge and totaly blocked the fuel sock thing in the tank so i had to remove it but when u do remove it rember to put an inline filter also some where in between the tank and the pump and to be even safer put anthor one between pump and carb.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
On the outlet of the tank is the steel line. This line has a nut and metric ferril sleeve to attach and seal it to the tank. The best way to remove it is when the tank is partially loose. I would not go there unless you have to. This metal is only 10 inches long and on the outside bottom of the car. The GT if stock has a plastic line that runs the length of the car from tank to fuel pump. The metal and plastic lines are connected with a hose clamp or a crimp type hose clamp if completely stock. If you seperare these two you have a straight shot to the ground for whatever is in the tank, or a good place to put a catch pan. The sock that Pvcar mentioned is attached to the inside of the tank as a filter for the out going gas line. The only way to see it is to remove the gas tank sending unit. Even then you can't reach it through the 2 inch hole for the sending unit. I have in the past when this filter became contaminated, poked a hole in it. I didn't like the idea then, but even now I don't see another option if it is plugged. I have attached a picture of the metal line that comes from the tank. HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I found a picture of how to remove the Sock. It says use an L shaped tool and a grabber. Can I buy these at a store? I'm assuming the L shaped tool is to hold the sock while you push the grabber up....

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
The L shaped tool is used to cut the sock loose. The grabber is to get it out of the tank.

Do a search on "Fuel Sock". There is a thread with a nice picture on the removal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bozkm, if you end up removing the gas tank, you might want to consider cleaning and coating the inside. I just used the Eastwood fuel tank sealer kit on my GT and the stuff works good. It'll take you a couple of hours to do the procedure but it's well worth it.

mtc,

Jim

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I had mine acid washed and epoxy coated by a radiator shop near by. $100 and I didn't have to worry about things like did I get it all coated or where the cleaner was drained to. Plus, I had them pressure test it to see if it was a good tank in the first place. I was worried about some places that looked almost rusted through.

Like opelgt71 said, it's a really good idea if you car has been sitting long and with very little in the fuel tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts