Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dripping

My "new" 72 GT is sitting on cardboard in the garage as I watch it drip oil. Most volume of drippage comes from under engine. Probably an arange sized stain after sitting all nite. Stick shows at halfway to the refill line. Ancillary drips at regular intervals working their way to the rear end--two on each side--indicates that oil is just traveling along frame, etc. as the wind blows it backward from original drip spot, I'm guessing. Being a female and new to mechanics, would appreciate some advice. Before starting to drive it, was in my favorite mechanic's shop for a week where among other things, he changed oil and filter. BTW--he recommends 20W50. Do you all agree? (Mechanic is my son who has ever touched a GT before--it is way older than he is!)
The beauty of this machine is that it is a machine--straight up and uncomplicated. Sweet. :)
Jo

·
Registered
131 Posts
It could be a lot of things. I just replaced the rear main seal in my 72 because it was bad. Does it leak when it is running or just when it is sitting, or both?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
20/50 is ok. degrease the engine and frequently look it over to see where the leaks are coming from after the engine is clean. makes it much easier to track them down.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Is this a rebuilt engine or is it original?

How old is the fuel pump? One possiblity is the gasket at the fuel pump or the fuel pump itself. There is a weep hole in the fuel pump if the seal goes bad, it will leak oil here when the engine is running.

·
203 Posts
It could be coming from the oil filter seal - it has happened to me a few times. If the seal is not clean or filter is not tightened it will leak. The oil will spray all over the place while driving. Clean at the bottom of the filter and start car you would be able to see the drip if it is indeed coming from the filter. If it is dripping try tightening the filter. Start with the easy stuff first.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"Drip" ??

Opel GTs' don't drip They simply mark their parking spot.

Just keep an eye on the oil level and fill it with 20W/50 motor oil when needed. The front crankshaft seal, the rocker cover, the oil dipstick holes and the oil pan gaskets all leak to varying degrees. A tiny bit of hot oil goes a long way and it is the principle "anti-rust" agent with Opels!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
On the contrary Jim, if built right a 1.9 doesn't leak. Granted there are a few tricks to it but no motor I've done has leaked, I don't tolerate that.

Have a look at the valve cover gasket, especially in the back. This is a common leak point that tends to be overlooked.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
I agree with "Nobody". I don't have any leaks either.

One trick on the valve cover gasket is to put "studs" into the head, install the valve cover gasket, position it where you want it, lower the valve cover and then use "acorn" nuts to secure the valve cover. It even looks good instead of regular hex heads exposed on the valve cover.

Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
Should I change?

20w-50 oil? I currently use 10w-30..should I change to 20w-50? I don't drive it in the winter, so the "ease" of starting when really cold isn't important. It does get hot here, so the better oil for hot weather would be good.

·
Super Moderator
5,944 Posts
You should be able to easily tell the difference between engine oil and transmission oil. The tranny oil is gear (sometimes "Hypoid", or "EP", as in Extreme Pressure, not really required in the tranny, ALWAYS in the differential) oil, which has a very distinct smell. If you think it is engine oil, it probably is. So I moved this to the "6A Engine Mechanical" Forum.

All of these are good suggestions, especially cleaning the engine well and then looking for new oil deposits. There are also commercial dyes that you can add to your engine oil and then see the source of the leak.

HTH

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Typical hypoid stinks of sulfer. Motor oil doesn't. dig into hypoid oil enough and you'll know what I mean. Down and dirty trick on oil leaks is add some ATF. It is still oil based and turns it all red with the dye in it. Red oil is easy to spot.

·
Opeler
97 Posts
Dripping oil

I had the same problem recently and finally tracked it to my mechanical fuel pump...It was slowly leaking from the small vent hole on the pump body.
I guess the plunger seal on the pump finally went bad after 35 years...
Go figure.........I removed the fuel pump and put a plate and gasket over the hole. then installed an electric fuel pump.....No Leaks. :)

Steve

·
Opeler
71 Posts
Leak!

Put the front of car up on 2 jackstands and have your son go under with a light and a rag. Have him look at the fuel pump area,drain plug area,front crankshaft pulley area,oil filter area and also the rear of the engine where the transmission and engine meet.He should see big drops forming at the area of the leak. Have him check that the oil filter and the drain plug are tight first.If those are tight then look directly behind the front crankshaft pulley,if no oil then check right under fuel pump,if no oil then look at the rear of the engine. If tranny is covered in oil you have a rear main seal leak.You can guage the location of the leak by looking at where the spot on the floor is in relation to the engine(front,back,right,or left ect).If he is really bored have him check the oil pan bolts.Also check the housing that the oil filter is on.This whole housing contains the oil pump.Also take a light and look at the engine where the cylinder head meets the engine block.Oil running down the side of block from above means either a bad valve cover gasket or a bad head gasket.Give us a lead on where you think it is!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts