Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight Voodoou and I have been discussing the replacement of the donut and the rubber center joint support cushions on his GT, and I recommended that he replace the center joint bearing as well. Just to be sure, should he spend the money and replace the bearing while he has the driveshaft out for a new donut, or is it a waste of time and money?
I've personally had 3 of these bearings fail, but am I the only one? I don't want to be giving bad advice that is going to cost someone else money.
Thanks in advance for the great feedback I'm sure we'll get!
Stephen

·
Super Moderator
13,583 Posts
Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've never had one fail on a street or race car, and in fact have never even seen one fail in person. I have often changed them "just in case" during an overhaul of the driveline, but it's always been a precautionary measure. During disassembly, the bearing can be checked for tightness or for excessive play, and an evaluation can be made as to whether replacement is necessary.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Thanks Guys

I'll have the bearing checked out today. Those star bolts sure are a pain. Im going to replace those puppies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts