Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a drivers seat, black. Mine busted last nite--the seat adjustment gear gave out and I guess I can't drive while laying down! There's no fixing this one so need complete seat.
Sheesh
Jo :(

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
Lempi, I have a drivers seat. Seat bottom will be cracked.Same price as Gene's but shipping should be less from SW Missouri. Maybe you will find one closer than either of us.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
This is a common problem on the GT's. It might just be a loose bolt on the adjuster or just some simple welding needs to be performed. A lot of people here are experts on this matter(myself not included). Search this one and if you don't find what you need, ask!!

HTH

Jeff

·
Opeler
159 Posts
which seat

while on the subject of driver's seats...the gt i got has aftermarket seats with "wings" on the seat and sides (i assume it some kind of racing type). being somewhat of a...."wide body" the wings are uncomfortable. the seat also seems slightly high and i hit the headliner which is annoying. which seat is preferable, stock, miata, or some aftermarket type?

bob

·
Super Moderator
9,750 Posts
Bob;
Sounds like you have Recaros. There's another type of Recaros that fit better and when installed properly, using the GT's original tracks and some flat bar stock, you're riding right where you need to be. The seats type are the ones out of the BMW 320i series and to install them on www.opelgtmotorsport.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 72 GT. We've taken the assembly apart and the gear teeth are stripped and won't even get close to meshing together. The bolt's teeth are mashed and I see the passenger seat is being held together with a non-Opel bolt.
Tomking--what does cracked seat mean? The vinyl? That can't be any worse than what's in there now. It looks like it was used as a demo for black duct tape! Its the whole seat, right? ready to install on the tracks? If this is what I am looking for what is my price? My son says I have to get a seat immediately, else, when we get the starter problem figured out, I won't be able to drive unless I can do it laying down!

thanks everyone!
jo

·
199 Posts
If you dont get it there in time you can always swap passenger seat to drivers side and feel just like a racer!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? I can switch passenger side to driver's side? I already DRIVE like a race driver--never got over being a teen in that regard. That seat adjustment is held together with a bolt--obviously somewhere in its long life, that seat crapped out too!
So Tomking--give me details about that seat of yours.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Jo,
theres two GTs i could get the seats out from, altho they're not my cars, both owners are parting out the cars. only bad thing is, the seats are white, in both cars. you could buy the seats from ace or the amish boy. (amish family bought farm few years ago and just bunch of cars on back of the property they've been thinning out, as obviousely they dont care for cars) to save shipping i could carefully take off the seat skins and pads for you so you can just put your black seat skins on these frames, or better yet come pick em up and i'll throw a starter in for you :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey thanks, Jared. The skins on both of my car seats are already in bad shape. There's no stretching them over anything new. Sad. Hmmm, I wonder how bad it would look to have white seats?? One thing for sure, they wouldn't heat up like the black ones.
Now tell me, what is Gobles near?
Jo

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Hi Jo

Gobles is just west of Kalamazoo on my map of the US of A - had to find out where some parts I bought off Jared came from!

A quick fix for the seat is to simply hold the back about where you want it and drill through the steel plates that make up the hinge and bolt them together - can't be adjusted anymore but at least the back stays up...

HTH

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just may have some decent seats for you. I am getting a new parts car next weekend, and i looked inside and the interior lokked pretty good. I don't have a use for them. If they are in good condition, i will let you know. That is, if you want to wait a week...

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
jo, as GTjim said, i'm about 20 minutes west of kalamazoo. easiest way to put a approximate mark on the map is hour north of indiana boarder, and 45 minutes east from the beach of south haven. just drive on out, seats are costy to ship, then you can rumage through the shed and help me get rid of some stuff!!!

·
1,973 Posts
I am in the middle of getting some fiero seats ready to install, If you want a comfortable seat you should look into some of those.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
greensmurf20 said:
jo, as GTjim said, i'm about 20 minutes west of kalamazoo. easiest way to put a approximate mark on the map is hour north of indiana boarder, and 45 minutes east from the beach of south haven. just drive on out, seats are costy to ship, then you can rumage through the shed and help me get rid of some stuff!!!
HOPE THIS HELPS

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
about 3-4 miles north of the intersection of M40 and M43, and 2 miles west of M40 if you look at baz's map. my workplace is even findable on the map, right on the corner of M43 and CR663 pretty much. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey--thanks for all the replies!
Jared,
I'm about 550 miles north of you. Guess we won't be meeting any time soon! It would have been fun to make the trip to help you unload your stuff.
Phil,
Yes let me know what you want to do about the seat in your parts car. I guess before I buy and have a seat shipped, it would be good to know how much it will all cost. Seats weigh about 35 lbs. each. Dimensions--33x19x22" Where are you in MI? There is a guy in Missouri who has a seat with a crack on the seat part--am waiting to hear just what "crack" means--would be better to have you ship from your location than from MS. More importantly, Are the seats black?
GTJim,
Awesome that you checked out Gobles from NZ--now check out Dollar Bay in the Upper Peninsula of MIchigan--I live on an island on an island--where Portage Lake connects with Torch Lake. See if you can find that! :)
PS--I'm liking your idea of a permanent bolt. After all , it IS MY car and I am a small person so why should I care if no one else likes the seat position I choose????
Cheers!
jo

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well done! I'm on the water that stretches up and to the right, just before the lake at the top corner of that square on the map. Ain't cyber-info the greatest? Anyway--it is remote and isolated here. Moose, wolf, coyote, bear, deer, cougar, and me! When I drive the Opel here, I see smiles everywhere and can tell by the looks on the middle aged folks faces, that they have a faint memory of seeing GT's when they were young and foolish. Its too much. This should be illegal!
jo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts