Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DP MotorSports - TGSI Racing is going to enter at least 2 cars in the 25 Hour race at Thunder Hill. This will be the inaugural race of the longest race in the world.

Check out the press release at:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/news/25hour.html

We are looking for up to 5 qualified drivers to join us in the "Fastest Opel in the West". (Actually we will have to "de-tune" to meet the NASA rules for their E3 class.) (The E3 class is essentially the same as SCCA ITB.) If you have an SCCA regional or NASA provisional license, then you meet the NASA requirements... I require more, so send me your "racing resume".

To give everyone a "flavor" for this kind of endurance racing, I have re-posted the article I wrote shortly after competing in the "Longest Day" 24 hour race a few years ago.
To read of our adventures, go to
www.tgsi.com/LD_part1.html

(I'll dig up and post part 2 in a couple of days.)

Oh yea... this is not a free ride. Once you've read LD_part1, then you know what it costs to prepare for this kind of race. So it won't be cheap... but I promise that those who participate will have "bench racing" and stories for years to come.

I'm not going to post this on any of the other sites for a couple of weeks. I want to give the Opel race drivers on this site first chance... but don't wait long. (DP MotorSports will also be entering 1 or 2 "Z" cars and that will be posted on other sites.)

Last, we will be looking for volunteer crew members. (The entire pit crew will be made up of volunteers... we'll feed you and give you all you want to drink, but that's it.

Email me and I'll give you more details:
[email protected]

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Longest Day

Part One was great!!! Now where's part TWO?

Great Job, Bob! Wish I had a week to volunteer for your team!

Best of Luck
Paul

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just posted The Longest Day, part two on my web site. To make it easier to get to, I've put the links on my main page:
www.tgsi.com

Potential Drivers and Crew... don't wait too long for this. As I'm sure you are finding out from reading the article, we have to make plans now. It takes tons of planning, prep and logistics. We will need to start making commitments soon. December 6 may seem like a long way away, but it isn't... 128 days and counting.

·
290 Posts
I'll keep you posted Bob, I think and can crew for you. I would really like to drive and I do have experience at Thunderhill however my Comp. license has lapsed and will not be able to get renewal until my car is finished and I can run a few events. I may also may be able to round up some more help from the Sacramento area if needed.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter... and others interested.

I'm not so much interested in what license you currently hold. Rather, how much experience you have. There is plenty of time to get your license. We will probably "do" two 3 hour enduros between now and the 25 HR as "tune-up" sessions... and to give drivers some time in the car. So, if you have got racing experience, send me your "racing resume" and we'll go from there.

Crew folks will be a great help too... no experience necessary.... We almost can't have enough. We'll use the 3 hour enduro's as a "tune-up" for some of the crew too.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Bob,

I have a friend who races in this area and really likes the Thunderhill track. He was last year's ITB regional champion. Could you email me offlist and tell me approximately how much a ride will cost? Then I can pass along the information to him.

I've also crewed for this (Honda) driver so I have a little experience in that department. Please tell me when the enduro practice days are, and perhaps I can help out, too.

Walter

·
290 Posts
Bob,

Same here, e-mail me with details on the buy in and I will determine if it something I can push for.

·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've gotten a couple of inquiries about "how much" I'm glad you understand the cost of this type of an event. Actually per hour of seat time it is cheaper than running sprint type (30 minute) regional races.

HOWEVER... what I am more interested in is WINNING. So, I want to know is your driving experience. No amount of money... well almost no amount of money... can merely "buy" you a "seat" in this race without proper experience.

What is proper experience? I guess I'm not sure. I got an email from a guy who just his SCCA National licence. He first started racing this year... novice, then regional, then National licence. He ran third in three of his races, second in one and had a DNF in two because of "off road" excursions. So... he has a total of about 4 hours of "race seat time" with two serious "off's". THIS GUY IS definitely NOT eligible.

Another guy said that he ran "middle of the pack" (Pro-7's that field about 30 cars for every race) for about three years but finished as high as 5th a couple of times. He was also 6th overall one year because he finished all of the races "respectably" (respectably was his words). He hasn't raced in a couple of years because of business commitments. He will probably be doing a "tune-up race" with us. THIS GUY IS IN if his lap average is within 2 or 3 seconds of my average lap time... and if he can come up with the buck$.

So, I guess the answer is that I'm not interested in the "hot shoe". We can put in the "hot shoe" (me) if we need to run hard in the last 4 hours of the race. But you do have to be reasonably quick. A fast driver is better, but not if it is at the expense of abusing the car.

Bucks? Ok, I can't get around it. First... if your name is Darrell Waltrip and Michael Waltrip, then you guys just show up and drive. (Not because they are "hot shoes" ... they are... but because I think it would be tons of fun to race with.)

DW and Michael... this is an open invitation. Come race with us. We don't want any publicity, or to use your name for any advantage. You can even use a "nome de plume" if you want (and can get a NASA licence under that name. We just want you to come have fun with us at this unique event.

Ok... now that I have digressed. Assuming that DW and Michael don't come, the cost with 5 drivers will be $3000 - $3400 which will include everything. By everything means that you show up with helmet & drivers suit and go race. It does include entry fees. Crash damage (for any reason) nor engine damage due to "over-rev" (tach with "tell-tale") is not included. (I am working on an insurance package that will protect you from having to "mortgage the house" in the event of crash damage. This will be something like $1500 deductable insurance... write off the car and it will only cost you $1500)

Oh, yea... if DW and Michael do come the other drivers will share equally in their "fee". If either of them write off the car, they have to pay for it just like everyone else... there's only just so much fun racing with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts