Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i started rolling up my drivers side window on my gt and i could here the cable breaking and was like o sh$t when the handle didnt do anything any more, well took door panel off and yes it was the cable i believe i have the drivers side door mechanisim somewhere, but was wondering if anyone could direct me to the link that explains how this is fixed i rember the thread but cant find it. any help would be appreciated i dont no how long these vise grips will last.thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
GT window winder

pvcar;
This repair can be done for less than $2, if you have the right hardware store near you. If not PM me and I'll get what you need. You'll need 85 inches of a similar wire. You remove the assembly from inside the door, as per the FSM, then cut and trim (hopefully you have a Dremel tool) the cable off the winder drumas best you can, it would be better if you could grind the cable ends off flush inside the grooves. Then with a drill and appropriate sized drill, drill out the last bits of the old cableall the way through the drum, be as straight as possible. Find the middle of the new cable and pinch it to put a bend in it. Feed the new cable into the drum from the inside and pull tight making sure to have an even amount of cable through each hole. Then wind the cable around the drum per the instructions in the FSM and clip the cable ends to the holding clips on the winder plate. Then assemble as normal, per the FSM and loop the cable ends through the upper and lower pulleys, bringing the ends together at the locking plate on the window slider. Pull the ends tight, then roll the window up and down a few times to get the slack out, then loosen, but, do not remove the locking plate enough to grab each end of the cable with a set of needle nose pliers and twist and pull the ends till you get the slack out of the cables. Do this as many times till you get the slack out of the cable and the window rolls up and down properly.

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
BQS4 said:
You'll need 85 inches of a similar wire...Find the middle of the new cable and pinch it to put a bend in it. Feed the new cable into the drum from the inside and pull tight making sure to have an even amount of cable through each hole. Then wind the cable around the drum per the instructions in the FSM...
I'll add one suggestion:
I've been using bicycle brake cable lately for this repair. The first time I used the long brake cable off of a tandem bicycle to get the required 85 inches. Then I discovered that I don't really have to divide a single cable in half and bend it inside the spool. Now I buy two single brake cables and thread them into the each spool hole from behind. The ball stirrup on the cable ends prevent them from pulling out. Proceed as the FSM outlines.

I have fixed FOUR different doors this way and am becoming quite adept at it... unfortunately! :rolleyes:

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys im gonna start work on this problem in the morning and if i cnat find that window regulator i have stashed some were i will go see if i can find 85 inches of cable at either my local hardware store or bike shop, FSM i do not have these directions are the located in the dowloads section?? or somewhere eles??thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
window winder

PVCAR;
I think it might be prudent to "bite the bullet" and go ahead and scan the FSM for this and put it in the tech archives, would that be acceptable Gary? Uh Gary, quit playing with your new "toy" and get abck to admin work...roflamo :D :D :D

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to all thanks for the help i think im eaither very very veyr very luck or something i was able to find that window regulator i had stahsed away. it was all tangeled and dirty and stuff so i took a can of braklean cleaned it up really good then went out to the gt pulled the window pulled the broken regulator looked at it for a few minutes thru it aside, picked up the one i just cleaned off, first i bolted in the crank piece and left the window track and wires hangin outside still, second i looked at how the window track went in then procceded to stuff that in with the wires loosly bolted that in , then examined how the wires role on the rolling wheel started to due trial and error on rolling them up on the wheel, i got it right after about the third or forth time and i was like hollyyy sh$t did i really make this work, so i put the glass in tightend everything down and gave it a spin and the window is as smooth as butter, only qustion i have is how do u take up the slack since one side has a lill slack in it???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts