Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropping the oilpan

hi im jordan, i just bought a 1970 opel gt 1900 and i want to get some minor problems taken care of before the full restoration, the oil pan gasket was leaking alot so i unbolted the oil pan and to my surprise it wont clear the engine support member! am i missing something or do i have to just about drop the engine to remove the oil pan.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Jordan;
Congrats on your GT purchase, next, dropping the whole engine/trans assembly would allow you access to the whole motor to cure a world of ills, i.e. clutch, front and rear seals, valve cover wiring, etc all at one time. Not to mention cleaning up years of caked on grease and grime. But, if you have access to a cherry picker or an engine pulling frame, you can unbolt it from the mounts and raise it just a bit and support it while you take off the crossmember and do the pan that way.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dropping the oilpan

that was exactly what i was thinking of doing i have a one ton electric forklift that i was going to use to support the engine. But about how high can i lift it off of the front motor mounts?

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
you really wouldn't have to lift it but just a few inches. Just to take the pressure off the engine support and unbolt it from under the car and move it out of the way. That way, you'll have total access to the oil pan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts