Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which sidedraft intake manifolds would fit easier into the engine room of a GT:
-short 80mm (3.2") long pair (by Irmscher)
or
-98mm (3.9") long manifolds those lift carburetors about 2cm (0.8") from normal height? I guess these have been originally made for Kadett B.
or
-130mm (5.1") long "normal" manifolds

It's hard to try to estimate what fits and what doesn't because there is no engine in the car at the moment and I don't have any good pictures from which I could even see that area clearly.
Would that 2 cm lift prevent carbs/aircleaners from hitting to the inside of fender, or is that even a problem? Or would it only make the rear carburetor (DHLA 40) hit the engine hood opening bar over it?
Another option would be 130mm long manifolds, but in that case some body cutting & welding, etc. would be needed to make aircleaners fit, right? That's something I hope to avoid.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
If you want to avoid any cutting, you'll have to go with the shorties. Contact Otto Bartsch. He has some excellent pictures of his installation.

·
Opeler
231 Posts
I have the intake and exhaust off my car at the moment, so i measured it for you. From the back or the #4 intake port to the side of the heater heater box there is 9 in. ( 230 MM ) room for your carb set-up. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks willis!
230mm isn't too much... Carbs and gaskets take about 125mm so there will be 105mm or so for air cleaner and manifold. Looks like those 80mm Irmschers would be the best option, then moving engine a bit to left if possible and a minor bodywork should be enough. I just wish that short intake doesn't hurt low-end torque very badly. But well, at least finding a longer intake should't be a problem if I someday want to try that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts